• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sakura Sencha - Neil W's Nano

Re: Sakura Sencha - Neil's Mountain Stream Nano

Main reason I've only used it once that!

Re: Sakura Sencha - Neil W's Nano (rescaped)

Time for a change...

Got fed up with the Nature Soil bleeding into the sand and also realised I had gone too far away from my original idea, so went for a bit of a rescape and to properly give it a pretentious name after one of my favourite teas. Removed a good litre and a half of soil and replaced this by extending the foreground back. Ended up being a fair job as I managed to uncap the Tropica clay base layer :wideyed: Took the opportunity to also add more detail with gravels. The space in the centre midground is for some Xmas moss T maybe kindly donating :thumbup:. so will look like the mossy stones on the right. Also got some plans now for the blank back left corner.

fullwr.jpg

detail
detailj.jpg

Looks very natural Neil :thumbup: It looks just like the stream I visted with the moss inbetween the rocks. It will look brilliant once the moss grows abit more.

Krish's Bettas said:
Looks very natural Neil :thumbup: It looks just like the stream I visted with the moss inbetween the rocks. It will look brilliant once the moss grows abit more.

Cheers, I'll try and keep it trimmed so it grows nice and compact. Glad you like it! :)

Krish's Bettas said:
Another think I was wondering what filter you are using.

Its an Eheim Ecco Pro 130 (the 2032), I did try and get hold of the old model which is rated for 400lph but its been discontinued so this beast is 500lph! Proper nice filter anyways :thumbup:

Re: Sakura Sencha - Neil W's Nano (updated 02/03/10)

Some of my new ideas are falling into place. Got some tasty bits of Manzanita in the post today from those lovely blokes at Plantedbox. This was teamed up with some Xmas moss greatly received from Tbro. Can't wait for it all to grow in! :D

woodg.jpg

Spec-
Tank size: 12"x10"x8", 15L, AE opti-white nano
Filter: Eheim Ecco Pro 130 (2032) with ADA glassware
Heater Hydor ETH 200
Lighting: 11w Ikea desklamp with Arcadia tropical bulb.
Substrate: Tropica Aquacare, ADA Forest Sand Xingu, Oliver Knott NS black fine, TGM graded gravels
Hardscape: LFS landscape rock, Manzanita wood
Flora: Eleocharis Parvula, Pogostemon Helferi, Vesicularia dubyana 'Christmas', Taxiphyllum barbieri
Fauna: 7 Crystal Red Shrimp, 2 Porcupine Nerites, 1 Ottocinculus

JamesM said:
Glad you got it ok Neil, looking sweet bud :D

Cheers James...Amazing stuff - thanks again for some great service and some lovely bits of wood! Just what I pictured in my head.

Wood looks great, when I saw that piece I though it would like nice in my nano, when I saw the photo of the tank I knew exactly which piece it was (not sure if that is good) lol

LondonDragon said:
Wood looks great, when I saw that piece I though it would like nice in my nano, when I saw the photo of the tank I knew exactly which piece it was (not sure if that is good) lol
Sorry LD didnt mean to beat you to it :lol:. I hope my moss grows out like yours so maybe the wood has had your blessing 8)

samc said:
that looks really good mate.

the wood changes the whole feel of the scape. i like it more now :thumbup:

Awesome, cheers Sam I agree! Strangely the wood seems to add more 'atmosphere'.

I like it Neil! It was good before but as Sam says, it changes the scape considerably :) It seems to soften the impact of the larger darker stone which dominated a little before (not in a bad way!)

Like it Neil, I agree the moss tied to the rocks will spread and break things up a bit. Will be interesting to see how the Xmas moss grows for you, it seems to be highly variable in it's structure, depending on conditions. Tom

SteveUK said:
I like it Neil! It was good before but as Sam says, it changes the scape considerably :) It seems to soften the impact of the larger darker stone which dominated a little before (not in a bad way!)

Thanks Steve, definitely gives a different look to before which is refreshing. :)

TBRO said:
Like it Neil, I agree the moss tied to the rocks will spread and break things up a bit. Will be interesting to see how the Xmas moss grows for you, it seems to be highly variable in it's structure, depending on conditions. Tom

Glad you like it T, hope I put your moss to good use. Be interesting to see how it grows as you say, stuff is very slow in my setup.

Normally I'd shake my index finger and go "Tsk tsk... different coloured stones will not do". But this is the first scape I've seen that kinda looks good that way :thumbup:

flygja said:
Normally I'd shake my index finger and go "Tsk tsk... different coloured stones will not do". But this is the first scape I've seen that kinda looks good that way :thumbup:

Thanks flygja, that sounds positive being a first! When I went for the half-rescape at the front by removing a lot of the soil I was almost tempted to start again instead because of the different coloured stones. It would have been a big headache to do though so I'm glad you say that :). In contrast for my next scape I want to keep it simple with strong shapes and a limited colour palette... maybe even an Iwagumi...food for thought anyways. I think I've been a bit full on where this is my only tank and it was a big learning curve. Still, I think its great as far as having details to look at in a nano space :thumbup:

I was thinking of adding an Anubias Bonsai to the base of the wood, what do you guys think?

Now that I've actually started to use the proper dose of EasyCarbo my plants are looking a lot healthier! Shrimp have been rather reclusive in 'the shrimp cave' at the mo as 3 out of the 7 are/have been pregnant, spotted a couple of babies today and there may be some in the filter. I havn't seen my Java moss grow so compact and a nice dark green before;

img1405s.jpg

Call me mad but I like it when instead of topping up evaporated water during the week I let it drop down so the tank is changing slightly all the time so the moss becomes emmergent :geek:.

img1411x.jpg

and a tank shot
img1410s.jpg

Back