• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sakura Sencha - Neil W's Nano

Re: Mountain Stream Nano

shrimpmas.jpg

You should harness a little team of celestial pearl danios to pull his sleigh.

Quick update;
Due to our student house heating 'budget' sadly I had two of my CRS die over 2 weeks because of the cold. In a normal house central heating is fine but ours just isn't on enough. As a temporary solution I bought a small in-tank heater until I go the full hog getting a cabinet with external heater and filter. I also got hold of the matching glass lily outflow (this time Do!Aqua instead of standard ADA) in preparation for the new filter as it was on the cheap from AE :thumbup:

Soon I want to get hold of some Amano shrimp for something different and possibly a dwarf otto, although I don't know wether one would be suitable for a 14 litre tank?

I've also put in a divider between the sand and soil. I used Java moss wrapped around wire with the metal taken out just leaving the plastic. Nice clean sand with no 'helpful' shrimpy soil moving! Hopefully it'll grow out onto the substrate and look more natural.

nasty quick pic;
img0530b.jpg

The main point in this post was that I was after a plant suggestion for a gap in the layout at the back (marked in red on the picture). I wanted something that was either grassy or stem-like. Originally I was thinking Eleocharis Acicularis which I think is just the standard hairgrass? (I currently have the dwarf version) or Blyxa but I wasn't sure wether it would do any good just on EasyCarbo. Now I'm thinking of something that would grow out of the tank emerged. So something either grassy or stem-like that would fit with the colours in the tank, that would do OK on liquid carbon and that would grow tall enough (about 15cm ish) Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Neil

looking good :thumbup:

for the back i would probely use e acicularis which would grow to the top, or maybe e tennellus which would also be about the right height if you didnt trim it. if you buy it in emersed form and big enough you could plant it with the emersed leaves out of the water and they will keep growing this way :D i think that would look quite cool.

if you wanted to go down the tennellus route i might be able to get you some big emersed stuff. pm me if you do.

samc said:
looking good :thumbup:

for the back i would probely use e acicularis which would grow to the top, or maybe e tennellus which would also be about the right height if you didnt trim it. if you buy it in emersed form and big enough you could plant it with the emersed leaves out of the water and they will keep growing this way :D i think that would look quite cool.

if you wanted to go down the tennellus route i might be able to get you some big emersed stuff. pm me if you do.

Cheers Sam :)

Would the tennellus grow long enough? I can't find any pictures of it emmersed or that long, only as a lawn type thing? Looks like its got nice broader leaves though then hairgrass.

I must say too that I'm well impressed with the build quality of the Aqua El Neo Heater; really solid with no glass, good piece of kit that does the job. Ugly though heater being in the tank :rolleyes:

it would grow out your tank i would say heres a pic of aquafleurs in emersed form

echinodorus-tenellus.jpg

i got some from a guy a while back that was huge though must have been 8 inch long. on the other hand you could use any echinodorus behind some acicularis. have a look on plantedbox at theres, they look really cool :D

Hi Sam,

May i know what plant this is? I have them in my tank and yes they can grow to 8 inches long and the leaves are kinda "fat" and huge 8)

Are they E.Tenellus?

Quick Update;

Sadly my bamboo shrimp wasn't very happy and jumped out and he'd dried out too much before I realised. He didn't ever find a good 'filtering spot' for himself although the flow was fine which confused me. The otto that I bought at the same time on the other hand loves the tank- what a nice fish! So in total the tank now has 7 CRS and the otto. Maybe in the future I'll get another otto (would two be OK in a 14 litre tank?) or alternatively maybe a small group of Chilli Rasboras, although once again I'm not sure if the tank is too small or the Rasboras will eat baby shrimp? Maybe I'll just stick to my CRS :lol:

I've finally now ordered an Eheim 2232 and a Hydor ETH 200 heater. I'm really looking forward to having no equipment in the tank and fitting the awesome lily pipes I got hold of. I was looking at getting this cabinet from IKEA;
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90158755
I'll get some shots when its all installed.

Yesterday I removed the Riccia rocks at the front of the tank which has opened up the space, less cluttered and busy to the eye.

Some quick snaps;

img0612l.jpg

img0619s.jpg

img0623hk.jpg

fyi- chilli rasb fine with shrimp,I keep them in both my shrimp tanks and would be ideal for your setup. :thumbup:

andyh said:
fyi- chilli rasb fine with shrimp,I keep them in both my shrimp tanks and would be ideal for your setup. :thumbup:

Cheers Andy! Saw some in my LFS and thought they looked real nice, would work well with the CRS colours and contrast with the green. How many number-wise do you think would be suitable?

NeilW said:
andyh said:

Cheers Andy! Saw some in my LFS and thought they looked real nice, would work well with the CRS colours and contrast with the green. How many number-wise do you think would be suitable?

you say your tanks 14l, i would start with 6 to see how you get on. ;)

I have 15ish in my 35l. They are good as they stay nice and small, mine still shoal well. You can see them on the HD video on my deep rooted journal. Their colours are amazing.

andyh said:
you say your tanks 14l, i would start with 6 to see how you get on. ;)

I have 15ish in my 35l. They are good as they stay nice and small, mine still shoal well. You can see them on the HD video on my deep rooted journal. Their colours are amazing.

I'd love to get some for my nano after seeing that video. Put in an order today at my LFS for some, if they can't get hold of any I may take a look at Ember Tetra's. I don't know if these are shrimp-friendly and small enough though? I also saw some nice gobies like you have in your 60l tank Andy which would look nice too, although I'd only get one I'm paranoid about how large they would get too!

Another update;
Got hold of some Cyperus Helferi to see how it does both non-CO2 and emersed. Bit optimistic but we'll see how we go. May up the Easy Carbo from just once a week at a W/C?! I know the placements a bit dodgy but if it does alright I'll get some more to fill out the corner, if not I'll get some Eleocharis Acicularis. Any thoughts?

img0636b.jpg

img0635.jpg

gearing up;
img0638n.jpg

Finally just a nice shrimp shot;
edit001.jpg

Thanks for looking, any thoughts welcome,
Neil

LondonDragon said:
I like this tank, looks very natural, will look even better when you get all the cool gear installed and get rid of the clutter ;)

Thanks Paulo! I'm glad you think it still looks natural which was my original plan (honest!). I struggle because this is my only tank and I have so many different ideas I want to try out, I think if I went along with ALL my ideas it would look fairly unnatural! I have to stop myself from tinkering too much. I have never seen any river or stream like this for real either (I sadly don't travel much) so this is straight out of my head.

Hopefully I'll get the tasty gear in soon but AE have got to get my Eheim in first from Germany! :( - they think it'll be there early next week. Nice looking equipment really sets off a layout I think, I'm guessing its the context that you view something changes your perception. I find it sad when I see really scummy looking marine equipment and yet beautiful livestock, so much potential lost.

SteveUK said:
Looking great Neil :) Fingers crossed for the Cyperus, it looks nice where it is.

Cheers Steve :D. I just wanted to give it a go, I don't know how I rate its odds though :lol:

Its always nice to hear if something looks OK where it is, it's hard to see if somethings odd looking when you look at something that much.

...As a side note I was thinking of using an atomiser on the emersed parts to keep them from drying out. I don't know if this is would be an issue though as I believe it can grow emersed in the wild?

Back