• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Salvinia deficiency or eaten?

MrClockOff

Hi all,

as per title I'm experiencing some trouble with Salvinia. I'm not sure if that's deficiency or it's being eaten?

Tank details:
Aquarium Oase StyleLine 175 (160L)
Filter Oase BioMaster 850 Thermo (1550 LPH)
Flow distributed through original Oase spray bar and aided by Eheim CompactOn 600 (650LPH)
Light is Superfish Slim LED 74 (46W, PAR 230 at 20cm, 2984lm) currently running at 80% 7 hours a day
EI fertilisation using APF powders and recipe. Daily doses using autodoser
CO2 injected through Yidao reactor. PH profile shows 1 PH drop since light on through whole photo period
Temperature fluctuating between 23-24C
10 neons tetra
5 black neons
1 SAE
9 amanos
~20 red cherries

Many thanks
Dan

Attachments

• 9DDFE496-F5A8-4079-9BD2-B9E5B3EC5776.jpeg
    9DDFE496-F5A8-4079-9BD2-B9E5B3EC5776.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 265
  • A6F03AF3-7495-4838-BB33-5BA14CE915F5.jpeg
    A6F03AF3-7495-4838-BB33-5BA14CE915F5.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 185
Sorry forgot to mention that this setup is running just 6 weeks. Salvinia is spreading well but about 10% of all leaves has those holes..

Hi all,

It looks more like it is being eaten, presumably by the SAE.

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel and I do agree it looks more like being eaten. But my suspects were rather amanos as I have seen them hanging out on the roots quite often. SAE is still super shy and is mostly hiding and I have not seen it anywhere close to the surface. Though it’s large enough about (about 3” long) to do such damage and it would make sense

I would go with damage from predation as well. Along those edges it distinctly looks like someone (the Algae Eater or more likely the Amano's... they do that too) have been munching on the plants.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Thank you for your expertise @MichaelJ and @dw1305

I haven't started specifically feeding my shrimps or SAE as I thought my immature aquarium still has plenty of algae. But looks like they need a little bit more than that..

I'm considering to start using this Shrimp King Complete Food - Pro Shrimp UK unless there are alternative cheaper and similar quality products

From reviews I can see that shrimps loving it and also the fish. The reason why I'm looking for pellets or sticks because I just don't want to remove uneaten stuff every time the shrimps finish

Thank you for your expertise @MichaelJ and @dw1305

I haven't started specifically feeding my shrimps or SAE as I thought my immature aquarium still has plenty of algae. But looks like they need a little bit more than that..

I'm considering to start using this Shrimp King Complete Food - Pro Shrimp UK unless there are alternative cheaper and similar quality products

From reviews I can see that shrimps loving it and also the fish. The reason why I'm looking for pellets or sticks because I just don't want to remove uneaten stuff every time the shrimps finish
What will sometimes happen is algae eaters will initially feed on biofilms, which they really enjoy, but once these are exhausted they will switch to preferable plant sources especially young growth, the SAE seems a more likely culprit to me, i've not really experienced amano's eating anything other than already dead vegetation, but i always gave them algae wafers aswell, my thoughts were that even if i give my algae eaters an algae wafer every other day, that will only last so long, and before you know it they are back to grazing.

As far as uneaten food, get one of the glass feeding dishes, they are a godsend for keeping the food away from the substrate and making leftovers easy to remove.

Hi
Its good idea to offer your Amano shrimp some feed.Not long ago I was keeping few in shrimp and snail only tank that didn't get any food as thought will help with the algae in it.Found them eating my Dwarf lobelia even with abundance of algae and bio film and in 24h the plants were only stems with no leaves what so ever.Started feeding 2-3times a week and the plants recovered with no further damage to be seen
Hungry Amano shrimp is sth not to be messed with.lol
Regards Konstantin

Hi
Its good idea to offer your Amano shrimp some feed.Not long ago I was keeping few in shrimp and snail only tank that didn't get any food as thought will help with the algae in it.Found them eating my Dwarf lobelia even with abundance of algae and bio film and in 24h the plants were only stems with no leaves what so ever.Started feeding 2-3times a week and the plants recovered with no further damage to be seen
Hungry Amano shrimp is sth not to be messed with.lol
Regards Konstantin
Wow sounds traumatic! maybe mine were better fed than i thought!

As far as uneaten food, get one of the glass feeding dishes, they are a godsend for keeping the food away from the substrate and making leftovers easy to remove.
Yep! Very much so... I am using these. I never feed my shrimps or Oto's outside the dishes. I cycle between Algae wafers, mineral and protein pellets for my babies - and they never spill - good table manners I suppose. Even my cardinals are joining in... As an extra they are brilliant for keeping snail populations in check.

Back