• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sam's 4ft nightmare, I mean journal

I'm inclined to agree. Either the water or the specific tank. That's why I want to know if things are growing well if he has multiple tanks. He's had trouble with HC before, which could imply the water.

lljdma06 said:
Themuleous said:
Nope not a sausage out of either the HC or blyxa. I even added a few crypts as a bit of an 'easy plant' experiment, but they are doing crap as well :(

Sam

Is this your only tank?

Nope got two others, here are some pics of the HC, this happens over a few weeks after been planted. Then the HC stays like this ever since.

DSCF4337.jpg

DSCF4336.jpg

DSCF4331.jpg

Yet here are the java ferns in my community, 'non-planted' tank. My nano have hornwort and flame moss both doing well.

DSCF4307.jpg

Nick16 said:
becuase, all other angles have been covered and you know what your doing, so i put it down to the tank (was it bought new btw?) or the water. :(

Well I would like to think I know enough! EI really isn't that tricky once you get the hang of it.

New tank, from TGM.

I'm gonna get some new HC tomorrow hopefully, which will be the first since I switched to 100% RO.

Sam

That's so weird that you have to use 100% RO now. It makes things so complicated. And I thought my own water really was bad, but compared with all that you have to do, all I do is pour some dechlorinator and I'm good.

I hope it works out with the new HC

llj

lljdma06 said:
That's so weird that you have to use 100% RO now. It makes things so complicated. And I thought my own water really was bad, but compared with all that you have to do, all I do is pour some dechlorinator and I'm good.

Tell me about it! Weird isn't the word. Why so my tanks struggle when others just seem to do it so easily!?!?!

It has to be something pretty fundamental.

Sam

do you add FE (iron) into the tank?
this made a big differance to how fast my plants grow they have gone wild my tank is like a jungle. my HC went a bit nasty looking but now grows realy well.

i would start at the begining and make sure you meet all the things that the plants need!!

the triangle thing, (i think)

light
CO2 Ferts

then check your trace elements like iron etc

do any plants grow well?

i use 100% RO water then adjust it to 4-5 kh and gh using

http://www.thegreenmachineaquatics....uatics/_6 8337203810 6/199022/Sera kH/pH-plus
and
http://www.thegreenmachineaquatics....tics/_6 8337203399 1/199022/Sera Mineral Salt

as advised by TGM for my crap tap water!!

realy hope you get this problem sorted :)
Matt

i dont use the EI system just PNT and PNT+ i also use a bit of Excell and easy life ferro to add a bit of iron into the water to help the plants grow new leaves.

if you use 100% RO water then you can control exactley the water and eliminate any problems caused by water, they have been replacing water pipes near my house and the water isnt verry good and i have had a new kitchen and boiter which dosent help. the flux used isnt verry friendley and the glue used on the plastic water pipes cant be verry good either!!

Matt

Do other people in you area have similar problems or is it just you? Sorry, if I am asking redundant questions. Believe me, I know full well that you know what you're doing with regard to dosing, CO2, light, etc. It's got to be something else. Something that we're not seeing. Just checking, none of the tanks are open top?

That's cool, Llj, keep the ideas coming :)

I dont know of anyone else in the immediate local area and certainly not anyone with a planted tank in the same water area.

The tank is open top, but if you're thinking deodorants or similar then we use all natural soap and sprays (I'm such a hippie :lol:) and I even got my wife to switch to roll on! No air fresheners or polishers either. We certainly don't have the same cacophony of chemicals in the air that I dare say most people do!

I am also thinking lighting. Both the planted tanks I've had trouble with were T5, the cheapo EQJ trading luminaires. But then lots if not most people use T5 these days. I am thinking of switching to T8, but can only find luminaires with 2 bulbs but would like 3. I could DIY something bu that would mean lots of wires and a generally tatty set up, its also a very expensive experiment if it doesn't work!

I guess the only thing is that in using T5 lighting, CO2 becomes more of an issue due to the more intense light. I did removal all the fish though at one point and whacked up the CO2 to see it that was the problem, but the same happened. Also, if it were a CO2 issue wouldn't the plants that are directly in the flow of the CO2 water grow fine?

Thanks again :)

Sam

Back