• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sam's 4ft nightmare, I mean journal

Re: Completely stumped - the saga continues

Hi James, sorry I missed this, I've been rather busy lately. Thanks for the interest.

Basically no, the plants still look shocking. I added some new HC and that just lost its leaves, with the new leaves quickly turning brown just like the other plants in the tank. I'm certain its due to the light, so I've removed the legs and have hung the luminary another 3" higher than it was. Perhaps I pushed the plants to hard under the 3x54w lighting for too long. Its been over a month since I reduced it to 2x54w, but that's done little if anything. I did add the new HC after reducing the lighting to two tubes, so it must be something that's wrong with the set up as it is.

Here are some photos as it is now.

This is the new HC, which has been in the tank for around 2 weeks.

DSCF3843.jpg

He's the original stuff.

DSCF3842.jpg

DSCF3840.jpg

I only raised the lighting a few days ago so it still early days as to whether its helped. I'm still using RO and tap.

Would mulm affect the plants? there is quite a bit already.

I really have no idea whats going on.

Sam

I'd love to chip in but not sure I can help!

I know if the plants are covered in dirt\mulm in my tank some do go brown, low lying\carpet plants are more susceptible to browning, I suspect as that is where the crud settles.

I wouldn't like to say this is the sole cause though, either way I suppose a good clean up of all the mulm can not be a bad thing :D

I'm perplexed Sam. What's the flow like in and around the HC? Could the luml be building up in there a bit as the flow there isn't very high?

First thing I'd do is cut the hc right back now that you've dropped the lighting. Are you dosing excel? hc loves that stuff.

Total puzzler, hey? See I'm not a crap aquascaper, I just cant get the plants to grow! :lol:

The flow in the tank is very good, I can see the plants moving. All the plants show the same symptoms, the HC is the worst but the HM and P.helferi do it as well.

I have cut the top off the HC at the front but it still the same. Its barely growing at the moment.

Bloomin' annoying, I had the same trouble in my nano which is my I gave up on it after 2 years of not growing anything :(

Sam

your tap water dont contain cyanide does it?... :wideyed:

no really, have you checked your water report for anything sinister?....

very strange mate, and i can only feel that its very disheartening, keep the faith

Haha not that I know of! I would have thought the fish would be more affected than the plants? I have plants in my non-plant tanks and they are all fine. Easy plants but no a sign of anything similar to this. I must admit I don't know of anyone else who has a hi light tank in the local area with decent plants.

Here's the report if you wouldn't mind having a look at it for me? I do use RO cut with tap so the concentrations in the tank will be less than those reported.

http://www.thameswater.co.uk/water-qual ... witney.pdf

The thing that makes me think its not the water is that I did in the early days grow the HC fine and the nano did manage one scape when the HC grow OK and I'm not doing anything different water wise now than then.

Yeh to be honest I'm rather chuffed off with it, the 4ft has cost goodness only knows how much and this is the result. An oscar or two would be a darn sight easier to keep.

Thanks people, appreciate it.

Sam

Hey mate, I've just scanned through most of the thread and didn't see reference to any carbon alternatives. I just wondered if you'd tried dosing something like Easy Carbo?

Hi Sam,sorry to see you are still haveing troubles,i have to second what steve uk says,since i have been useing easy carbo my plants look really good and thats on top of 5bps 0f co2 ,give it a try mate,regards john.

Hi guys,

I've had a thought. Because the tank is open top the water level goes down quite a bit during the week, added to which I try to keep the outlet on the powerhead so that is just breaks the waters surface so that it clears the scum and also oxygenates the water.

All this means the CO2 is not 100% stable, it very rarely goes into the blue, but it goes range from yellow to dark green during the week.

This I wouldn't necessarily say is unstable (Maybe I'm wrong?) but could these changes in CO2 concentration affect the plants in the way it has? It does seem a bit unlikely to me but worth a try. The only way to stop this would be to have the outlet below the waters surface enough that it doesn't affect the waters surface at all, but I risk gassing the fish and the surface scum is a PITA.

Thanks.

Sam

PS - Its early days but having raised the light up a bit over the tank and the HC has got even worse :(

As long as there's a gentle ripple in the surface of the water the oxygen exchange should be fine. I understand about breaking up the scum though. Perhaps the scum is also a symptom of the same problem? Not that that helps!!

Looking back again I think mulm is the problem. Any kind of build up IME hows that the water isn't being circulated vigourously enough or the filter(s) aren't up to the job. If it settles on the leaves it will clog the pores.

How often do you have to clean the filter?

Back