• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

sams 60cm (planted!)

i'm saying a prayer for you mate. you've put a lot into this, if by any chance it does fail, pick yourself straight back up and do it again. :thumbup:

Everyone goes through it once... or in my case, I don't know... fifteen billion times? :lol: Get some ottos and Siamese Algae Eaters in there. Ottos will wallop the diatoms within a couple of days!

samc said:
i am so close to ripping this down now. so many problems in this its unbelieveable. first of all the HM was half daead when i got it and its just sitting there, ill probely have to replace it. the anubias is rotting from being sat in a bucket too long before planting and is just falling apart. i have been doing 50% water changes every other day and i have GSA diatoms and fuzz algae. half the nanjeshan has rotted for no apartent reason. and just to top it today 3 of my amanos have jumped out and died.

GSA, hair algae & rotting all leads to CO2 defficiency. What colour is the drop checker and is it diffusing efficiently and being distributed correctly?

good luck.

Hi Sam

Sorry I've missed this for a few weeks. The scape and planting looks great - as Dan said, youve got great space to play with stems back there :D

Sorry to hear your having problems with it, but I'd try to be patient and stick with it - I reckon plants need weeks to adjust to new environments, and recover from being moved around. If you can keep on top of the algae ( I had the same in my optiwhite after the first week, but it just cleared up after another couple of weeks) and keep up your maintenance then hopefully the plants will adapt and flourish :D

Cheers

Tony

SteveUK said:
just think how much more rewarding the scape will be :)

thats a good point steve. i have decided to stick at it to achieve something

Tony. thats another good point and i hope they are just adapting as it was only the one plant. i think it was down to flow with the stem rotting but i have a powerhead in now :D

aaronnorth said:
GSA, hair algae & rotting all leads to CO2 defficiency. What colour is the drop checker and is it diffusing efficiently and being distributed correctly?

this is the thing aaron. my dc is as yellow as it can go but still the algae persists. its beyond me. the co2 comes out the outlet via a external reactor then there is a powerhead on the other side of the tank which pushes it down toward the substrate, which is going toward the inlet. the ferts are EI and i am dosing over that. so i really dont know :?

flygja said:
Get some ottos and Siamese Algae Eaters in there. Ottos will wallop the diatoms within a couple of days!

thats what i would do but with the co2 so high i would gas them in no time

a am currently doing a 50% water change every other day. and a photoperiod of 6hrs so might see if i can take a tube out.

a quick update

dsc02876ys.jpg

at least i can grow rotala sp :p for some reason the nanjeshan has not grown at all.

you can see the fight side is bare infront of the rotala. thats where the rotala was rotting so i put the powerhead (left top) and cut it right back and is now growing fresh shoots. i also cut the tenellus back as the old leaves were tatty. the new red leaves are really nice.

samc said:
thats what i would do but with the co2 so high i would gas them in no time

Ottos and SAEs are quite tolerant of high CO2 levels in my experience. Its the shrimps that won't make it.

Your tank is coming along quite nicely, you'll figure out the algae issues soon ;)

I'm pretty certain you'll hear the same from many but up your Co2 and lower your light. Your dosing could well be inadiquate so double dose with EI. You might also need to improve/change your flow pattern to see if that helps.

Garuf said:
I'm pretty certain you'll hear the same from many but up your Co2 and lower your light. Your dosing could well be inadiquate so double dose with EI. You might also need to improve/change your flow pattern to see if that helps.

thats why i am out of ideas. my co2 was at the point where the shrimp were jumping out. i am dosing double EI already and i have all the plants moving slightly as i have been moving the powerhead about until it was best.

having said that the picture is pretty yellow compared to real life. ill keep tampering until things get better.

the rotala sp is behind the HM by the way. i had to chop it right down

maybe run while lights are on and get it on a solenoid. give the tank a chance to 'breath' at night. i've noticed an improvement in doing this. get some surface movement at night. you need to try everything.

yeah i was thinking is it co2 overload.
as mark says get it on a soleniod and perhaps let some o2 into the tank in the evenings or something.

Back