• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sam's nano journal

Re: Sam's Nano Emersed HC journal

I don't think that's such a clever idea, if he changes his mind about having water in it there could be residual toxins that could spell doom for any fish he adds.

Re:

Themuleous said:
Growth is not as good as I had hoped and the older leaves are dieing off which I wasn't expecting thinking a lack of N so have ordered some NH3 so use in the water I spray on it, but tis still early days.

I'm currently growing HC emersed using a mix of old and new gravel. The first couple of weeks the HC was growing happily and then I added TPN+ to the water I was spraying. After a couple of days some of the HC appeared burned and stopped spreading. I went back to spraying just pure London tap water (best in the world) and the HC seems happier and has started sending out runners again. Could it be sensitive to too mush ferts?

I'd guess so, it sounds that way, id suggest adding it diluted rather than neat, plants are much more sensitive than we are.

Well I'm hoping to do a proper update in around a week, there are just a few bits of the HC that need to fill in, like the corners and its taking ages, but want to wait and get it right. I've made a light box specifically for the tank and the final shots I will be borrowing a friends DSLR. Hopefully I'll be able to do it justice.

FYI I filled the tank with water a long while ago and now have 11 green neon tetras and around 40 cherry shrimp. Might not even need the tetras for the final photos, just let the shrimp be the livestock. Will see.

Update soon I promise!

Sam

Themuleous said:
Well I'm hoping to do a proper update in around a week, there are just a few bits of the HC that need to fill in, like the corners and its taking ages, but want to wait and get it right. I've made a light box specifically for the tank and the final shots I will be borrowing a friends DSLR. Hopefully I'll be able to do it justice.

FYI I filled the tank with water a long while ago and now have 11 green neon tetras and around 40 cherry shrimp. Might not even need the tetras for the final photos, just let the shrimp be the livestock. Will see.

Update soon I promise!

Sam

Update please! I want to see this setup as it's pretty similar to what I want (livestock wise).

Themuleous said:
As I said on TFF, the trouble is Ive hyped this one up to much!! I just hope the scape lives up to expectations!!

Sam

I want to see the fish :p.

(And the scape too, just I want to see Green Neons in a planted tank because I'm not sure whether to get them or not.)

By the way how many of them do you have in there? Oops, you have 11.

Do you have ottos?

Luketendo said:
Also what water stats have you got?

Not sure i'm afraid as i don't test for anything, i can say the tempreture ranges between 24 and 26 degrees and i cram in as much Co2 and ferts as i can :) and all the fish seem very happy :D

Arana said:
Luketendo said:
Also what water stats have you got?

Not sure i'm afraid as i don't test for anything, i can say the tempreture ranges between 24 and 26 degrees and i cram in as much Co2 and ferts as i can :) and all the fish seem very happy :D

Excellent hopefully when I get them they'll be fine.

(Sorry Sam for the off-topic stuff.)

Right, first off. Big apology for not being very active recently, life's been stressful and Ive just not had the time. Hopefully that will change now (until my hols in July ;))

Anyway, I finally got around to taking some 'final' shops of my nano now that I sorted out the long running issue it had with growing plants. I turns out that it IS possible to have to much light. Basically, running 2x24w T5's is just to much for HC to cope with so it just grows really slowly, perhaps its a built in fail safe, who knows. Either way, once I dropped the light down to 1x24w T5 (the Arcadia Plantpro) the HC went ballistic and its been plain sailing ever since. No algae so the EI must be working! First time ever! I'll be stripping it down to rescape as the HC is rapidly dieing at the base so it needs it, gives me a chance to try something new :) Got the next scape planned ;)

Current stocking is 11xgreen neon, 2xotto, numerous and breeding cheery shrimp and 4 nerite snails (the work horse of my algae eating crew).

Here are the pics :)

Sam

DSCF2465.jpg

DSCF2457.jpg

DSCF2443-Copy.jpg

DSCF2422-Copy.jpg

DSCF2417-Copy.jpg

DSCF2467.jpg

Fantastic Dam, i'm glad to see it's all worth the effort. It looks great, you should be well chuffed with that!

Not my style of tank but that HC looks great :) I like the end results, peculiar anout the reduction on lighting to 1x24w! I have 4x24w on my tank and my HC never took off either just remained the sale size all the time. Very little growth but no algae and not dead! Could be that then :)

Good stuff Sam. Is the tank from the UKAPS meeting at yours?

HC is a great plant! With a decent pair of curved scissors, you could keep this scape for as long as you want.

Dave.

Thanks Dave :)

Yeh one and the same, I really like the small size of the tank as it doesn't cost a fortune to redo regularly!

This is gonna sound daft, but give HC plenty of everything any its an easy plant to grow. The trick I guess is working out what it needs! :lol:

I have given it a good haircut several times, but I left it to long the first time and it was already to thick to prevent the bottom dieing out. Oh well, as I say, an excuse for redoing it! ;)

Sam

Well its been a while since I updated this journal, so thought I would. Not really much to say other than Ive changed the scape, still simple but more height from the substrate. Still 100% HC. The HC took a while to get going after the rescape but once it did it didn't take long to cover the tank. Its had one good trim to tidy it up. Ferts, etc as before.

The 'bits' floating int he water are bubbles from the HC, which went nuts when I lowered the lighting for the photo shoot!

Full1-resize.jpg

Full2-resize.jpg

Leftside-resize-1.jpg

Shrimp-resize.jpg

Sam

Back