sams nano

samc

about time i posted this really :) i was planning on entering it into the AGA competition but due to diatoms the hc got covered and now wont fill in time so i thought id share it.

the tank has been running for a couple of months now but only just added the parvula at the front and middle.

you might still be able to see diatomes but they are going quickly now as i got some amanos.

lighting is currently a 11w but theres is 2 in there (due to diatoms)
dosing is a EI based mix
co2 is pressurized
50% water change a week at least
filter is a eheim 2211 with extra powerhead(was from a small internal filter but does the job :lol:
plants are:
rotala sp green
acicularis at the sides
parvula infront at sides and in the middle
HC in the foreground

This is how it is today

you can see the patch behind the paruvla on the left is slightly empty because the acicularis uprooted today, so had to be planted again and lost some of it as it got sucked into the powerhead which chopped it up :lol:

this is a shot from my bed

i like this shot because i cant see the diatoms :lol:

comments and critics welcome of course

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Looking great Sam, you should post a larger photo though ;)
Now all you need is those cherries we talked about hehe

samc

just made the pics bigger. not looking good atm as you can see
and them stems on the right dont grow as quick as the others thats why they are lower :lol: must be lighting

JohnC

On a mountain in the Highlands of Scotland
Hi,

looking good, i'm trying to visualise what it is going to be like when the HC is fully grown in. Do you plan on having it covering all the expose substrate or just the front or just patches? I suppose if it grows as a carpet it would cover all that substrate gradienting you have been doing.

Best Regards,

John

dsandson

samc said:
not looking good atm as you can see
I must be looking at a different pic because that looks brilliant! A lovely use of the space. will look even better when the hc grows in a bit.

samc

well im planning on having all the substrate covered, on the middle bit there is some UG which wasnt doing well but looking better now.

i think in the end itll be HC all over as with UG i need soft water which is a pain to get

Steve Smith

UG is one of those notorius plants that can just suddenly melt over a few days, after being perfectly healthy for months. It's like playing with a handgrenade without the pin :lol:

Lovely looking nano mate. That tank looks very similar to my little Aqua40 :)

samc

dsandson said:
must be looking at a different pic because that looks brilliant! A lovely use of the space. will look even better when the hc grows in a bit.
thanks dsandson i think itll look good when filled in cant cant wait TBH i think the aquasoil looks horrid. not enough green ;) :lol:

SteveUK said:
UG is one of those notorius plants that can just suddenly melt over a few days, after being perfectly healthy for months. It's like playing with a handgrenade without the pin :lol:

Lovely looking nano mate. That tank looks very similar to my little Aqua40 :)
glad you like it! ino what you mean about the UG it looks great when theres a carpet of it but im gonna leave it and let it muddle in with the HC and if it grows it might make nice little patches :D

ceg4048

Expert/Global Moderator
Staff member
samc said:
...i think in the end itll be HC all over as with UG i need soft water which is a pain to get..
You don't need soft water for HC. You just need plenty of CO2.

Cheers,

samc

cant belive it!!! just as things were looking better the reg is leaking :twisted: grrrrr im very annoyed and have contacted hydor.
them diatoms better not come back :twisted:

samc

well hydor never emailed back and still have no co2 but have no algae problems now and all diatoms gone. suprising really i thought the diatoms would come back like hell.

anyway i read another thread about DIY lilies and thought id give it a go.
i went for the nano ones you can buy from AE which looks pretty good. heres what iv made

quite pleased how they came out

samc

its just perspecs tube :D i just use a little blow lamp to heat it but if you do it put something inside or it'll collapse i used a bit of electric cable which fit good

samc

i cant really take the credit to be honest i saw a similar thing on another forum :D

i also thought it was a great idea and only cost me about £3

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ray 10l Nano Shrimp Tank DSM Journals 4
CooKieS 31x21x26, nano, ‘nature heart’ Journals 31
Aqua sobriquet Lockdown 60L Nano Journals 10
T Kitchen nano 35L Journals 98
C Kitchen Nano Journals 4
Stu72 Starting out again with a Nano - Day 70 Journals 0