• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

sams nano

samc

about time i posted this really :) i was planning on entering it into the AGA competition but due to diatoms the hc got covered and now wont fill in time so i thought id share it.

the tank has been running for a couple of months now but only just added the parvula at the front and middle.

you might still be able to see diatomes but they are going quickly now as i got some amanos.

lighting is currently a 11w but theres is 2 in there (due to diatoms)
dosing is a EI based mix
co2 is pressurized
50% water change a week at least
filter is a eheim 2211 with extra powerhead(was from a small internal filter but does the job :lol:
plants are:
rotala sp green
acicularis at the sides
parvula infront at sides and in the middle
HC in the foreground

This is how it is today

dsc02199n.jpg

you can see the patch behind the paruvla on the left is slightly empty because the acicularis uprooted today, so had to be planted again and lost some of it as it got sucked into the powerhead which chopped it up :lol:

this is a shot from my bed

dsc02204p.jpg

i like this shot because i cant see the diatoms :lol:

comments and critics welcome of course

Hi,

looking good, i'm trying to visualise what it is going to be like when the HC is fully grown in. Do you plan on having it covering all the expose substrate or just the front or just patches? I suppose if it grows as a carpet it would cover all that substrate gradienting you have been doing.

Best Regards,

John

samc said:
not looking good atm as you can see

I must be looking at a different pic because that looks brilliant! A lovely use of the space. will look even better when the hc grows in a bit.

UG is one of those notorius plants that can just suddenly melt over a few days, after being perfectly healthy for months. It's like playing with a handgrenade without the pin :lol:

Lovely looking nano mate. That tank looks very similar to my little Aqua40 :)

dsandson said:
must be looking at a different pic because that looks brilliant! A lovely use of the space. will look even better when the hc grows in a bit.

thanks dsandson i think itll look good when filled in cant cant wait TBH i think the aquasoil looks horrid. not enough green ;) :lol:

SteveUK said:
UG is one of those notorius plants that can just suddenly melt over a few days, after being perfectly healthy for months. It's like playing with a handgrenade without the pin :lol:

Lovely looking nano mate. That tank looks very similar to my little Aqua40 :)

glad you like it! ino what you mean about the UG it looks great when theres a carpet of it but im gonna leave it and let it muddle in with the HC and if it grows it might make nice little patches :D

samc said:
...i think in the end itll be HC all over as with UG i need soft water which is a pain to get..
You don't need soft water for HC. You just need plenty of CO2.

Cheers,

well hydor never emailed back and still have no co2 but have no algae problems now and all diatoms gone. suprising really i thought the diatoms would come back like hell.

anyway i read another thread about DIY lilies and thought id give it a go.
i went for the nano ones you can buy from AE which looks pretty good. heres what iv made

dsc02219ywh.jpg

quite pleased how they came out

Back