• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sam's now to be high light 20g

Quick update, plants doing well, except for the java fern surprisingly. I've had to take the Pogostemon stellata out (sorry Clive) it was growing and even responded to a prune by sending out side shoots, but it was a bit big for the tank and I wanted to let the C.balansae show a bit more. The Limnophila aromatica is going well and have done a prune and replant, which it has responded well to. I've given everything a good prune so it bushes out. Gonna borrow a mates DSLR for decent pics ;) anyway photos.

Frontresize-1.jpg

Sideresize.jpg

Sam

Look a heck of a lot nicer now Sam! Yes, I agree the stelletta needs it's own showcase mate. Those stems were real Frankensteins weren't they? I totally understand.

Cheers,

Thanks Mate :) I will def try the stellata again, probably in my new 4ft to give it more space, etc, but it seemed daft to use it in this tank but prevent it from reaching its full potential or to use it effectively.

You forget sometimes how things in a tank change over time! You see a tank on a daily basis and it doesn't seem to change at all, but when you look back at earlier photos the difference can be quite stark! The sags have certainly filled out. The H.poly and L.repens are much more compact than is obvious from the photos, although I guess I did prune off must of the leaves.

Thanks again :)

Sam

Sam

You know when I post it will be a different opinion from most so here goes. lol

I find myself looking at your tank and seeing a nice cleancut contrastin tank. The lovely lush green of the carpet against the luxurious chocolatiness of the wood.

And guess what.......I think the fish look great and I am not the biggest fan of Orange/Red fish as you know.

I think the 'clean' wood is what sticks out for me in this scape. No moss hiding it and it looks better IMO.

Hope it keeps going for you.

Andy

Cheers for the honest opinion, Andy :) I'm not actually much of a fan of moss on wood, especially if its stuck out on the end of a limb, doesn't look very natural to me.

Glad you approve :)

If I can just get the H.poly taller but still bushy I think the scape will come together better, more of a triangle effect. I will admit that the wood it actually a bit big really, it really needs a few inches taking off each of the three main branches to get into scale with the rest of the tank, but it would kill me to do it to such nice wood and with a 4ft just around the corner.

Sam

Thought it was about time for an update :)

I'm not sure I like the L.repens or the Limnophila aromatica. The L.repens doesn't seem to want to busy out at all, thinking I didn't plant it compactly enough i.e. needed to plant more stems. The Limnophila aromatica is getting a horrible GSA covering on the lower leaves. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it, will keep going with it and perhaps try something else in a month or two. The sags are also the wrong choice, think ET would have been better as its finer, the sags are to big for this size tank. Everything needs a good prune as well!

We live and learn :)

Photo time.

Fullfrontresize.jpg

Fullside-resize.jpg

Sam

EDIT - the C. balasae is going really well but it just bends over because of the filter flow!!

C Balansae bends over with no flow at all. lol

Just tends to be the nature of the beast really. Once it gets tall enough it will look the part as it rests on the surface and then curls downward slightly at the tips.

I found with L.Repens in my previous scape that if it wasn't directly under the lights it grew a lot slower so I moved it and guess what. Yep. Grew too fast. Can't win. lol

I quite like the look of the tank Sam. Nice and green and very clear. The carpet looks nice but if like you say you are after a sense of proportion then you know best. As you know I just like growing plants and not too concerned about the 'scape' side. lol

Keep it up and I must own up that I have now copied something from you (Its not just George I copy. he, he) I have bought 2 of the nano diffusors like yours (£4) for my 29G and the one that is in at the mo is working great. Thanks for the idea.

Andy

Themuleous said:
I'm not sure I like the L.repens or the Limnophila aromatica. The L.repens doesn't seem to want to busy out at all, thinking I didn't plant it compactly enough i.e. needed to plant more stems. The Limnophila aromatica is getting a horrible GSA covering on the lower leaves.

Sam, try adding more PO4...

Cheers,

Clive - Im adding 3ppm PO4 3x per week, do you think I need more?

Andy - Im hoping the C.bal will reach the surface soon.

Thanks for the compliment re the scape, its a work in progress and as I said, you live and learn. I am pleased that at least the EI seems to be working for the most part. A little BBA coming it, which I stamped on with some excel.

I think I will always undersize my diffusers, Ive seen the rihnox 5000 and its huge, bubbles come out of very little of the surface.

Sam

Themuleous said:
Clive - Im adding 3ppm PO4 3x per week, do you think I need more?

Well, the GSA thinks you need more. :wideyed: It's either that or you need better flow mate, no question. I dose 6ppm :wideyed: :wideyed: but I'm an extremist as you are well aware. You probably need to tweak your CO2 as well. It could be that the Tennelus is blocking flow...

Cheers,

Its probably flow, I'm running an eheim 2222 which is well under what I should be running, but I got the filter years ago before I got into planted tanks. I'll try upping the PO4 to 5ppm 3x a week and see if that helps, guess it cant hurt!!! CO2 seems fine, could up it a bit but its well into the green range.

Thanks for the advice Clive :)

Sam

Looks fantastic and very very lush :) whats the small plant you have over the front of the tank?

JOHNNY

Back