• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sandy cove - First tank 60l

Just a quick update on some things I have noticed with the new plant in the tank.
Most of the plants seem to be doing great, although I have not seen much horizontal growth with the HC yet they seem to be getting bushier, the problem lies with 3 individual bunches that seem to be melting, so thought I would post some pictures so see if anyone has any feedback. I am guessing that the shock of being sliced and diced with a razor, on some of these plants was just to much for them to recover. They seem to be growing a kind of white fuzzy mould, should I remove the affected plants from the tank?

6755758463_2e65c40d42.jpg
plants die by Bene Tanser, on Flickr

6755758019_0d9b27770b.jpg
plant die2 by Bene Tanser, on Flickr

Also the Ludwigia repens diamond red has started sprouting roots all the way up the stem, is this norrmal?
6755757721_66c7d0525b.jpg
roots by Bene Tanser, on Flickr

rolexbene said:
sarahtermite said:
I love these rocks - and great that you collected them yourself. I'm not so far from Slapton, so maybe a little field trip is on the cards..... :lol:

Looking forward to seeing how this develops - but the plants are already looking great.

Well if you looking for gravel Slapton is good, but my rocks came from a place called Hembury woods, amazing place especially in the Spring/Summer when the trees are green, got a good river with all the rocks you could ever need. I just picked the most jagged rocks I could find as most are smooth river rocks...
This is a pic I took last time I was there.
6716965301_28686e2c02.jpg
223461_10150238128989579_757574578_8710319_4502791_n by Bene Tanser, on Flickr

Thanks for the tip - I'll go see what I can find. That photo looks a bit like Spitchwick, which is near me, so I might start my hunt there.

(And if I were you, I think I would uproot those plants with the white mould - they don't look like they're going to come back from that. :( )

Update - Steep learning curve

Update 8-10 weeks after initial planting, progress has been slow and painful.. I had many issues in this last cople of months. Firstly I was growing using the dry start method, about 50% of my HC decided to die on me, it would develop a stringy cobweb like mould and which would spread throughout the tank, so this has been one of the main set backs. Secondly the Ludwigia Repens from the start was a rapid grower sprouting roots from all over it stems, on about week 4 both bunches simultaneously started rotting, and most of it died, now I have only a few branches still holding on but seem to be growing ok now. The Hair grass seems to be doing very well, a lot of new grown seems to be spreading well. After having so much loose of plant life in the tank, I decided to stock up on some other plants, I bought some Riccia and tied it down to small flat bits of slate, these seem to have thrived both out and now in the water, but even though they grow well there is another problem. The part of the plant that has been tied down to the rock seems to have been rotting away and when I filled the tank with water a lot of the Riccia just can loose from the rock and floated to the surface, Ahhhhhh! always something, think next time I need to tie down let firmly to make sure it does not kill the attached plant matter. I also bought some small portions of Taiwan moss attached to wire mesh, these are great and have no problems. About a week ago I got fed up with waiting so I filled with water, and mostly all seems ok so far....
I have noticed quite a bit of algae developing and am thinking of getting a cleanup crew in ASAP, Would this be ok as I am doing regular water changes???
Also I have over the last day or two (after I gave the HC a little haircut), noticed some of the leaves on the HC starting to go a little translucent, I am really hoping this is not the dreaded melt, and is just a side effect of the hair cut.
P.S. I know my Riccia is randomly placed I am just letting it grow as a back up I the HC fails, I am also waiting for some glass lilly pipes as the ones I ordered already were to small for my filter.

Can anyone give me any advice or comments on my lighting timings?
I am thinking, snails and shrimp for cleanup crew, any advice? Can I get them in now with these water changes?

11 hours on - Dry start Method

Water in:
Week 1 - 4hrs light - 50% water change every 3 days
Week 2 - 6hrs light - 30% water change every 3 days
Week 3 - 8hrs light - 30% water change every 7 days
Week 4 - 10hrs light - 30% water change every 7 days

6852446312_6e95b684ea.jpg
tank1 by rolex.bene, on Flickr

6852447040_ac32db8ba6.jpg
tank2 by rolex.bene, on Flickr

Everything is starting to grow in nicly now, got some cleaning crew in to help with algae issues and they are doing a fantastic job apart from the snails digging up the odd patch of HC.
My fauna in the tank so far is:
1 otoclinus
15 Red Cherry shrimp
30 Malaysian trumpet snails
Had a friend come round with his camera today and managed to get some good shots of the tank and new inhabitants, so I made a quick slide show of some of my favourite images, best watched in HD on Vimeo or High res images on Flickr @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/62027125@N ... 886961470/.

you should be really proud thats incredible for your first tank, had you not said it was i wouldve thought you were an expert aquascaper. :thumbup:

next time you take some pics could you do a fts with the cabinet and stand in it aswell please? would like to see the full setup

Ok just a quick photo update as I haven't posted in a while, have had many changes in the tank, too many to remember. Have just started dosing EI ferts, I am having a little trouble with green spot algae, but it does not bother me too much. HC is very healthy, but still a little growing in left due to the patchy start it had. Girlfriend is away on holiday with my DSLR so had to take these photos on my phone, hence the quality.
Here are the pics, let me know what you think.

7106314717_d62e59a16f_c.jpg
Untitled by rolex.bene, on Flickr

7106301991_dfd5b075ed_c.jpg

7106356499_7dcb271889_c.jpg
new tank by rolex.bene, on Flickr

6960267704_e39380c713_c.jpg
And just for fun this heavily edited shot, using the phones photo editor.

Hi all,
Looks really good.
My fauna in the tank so far is: 1 otoclinus
You need a few more, they aren't happy on their own, they are a bit like Corydoras like that <http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=107>. You also need to feed it/them, they eat a fairly limited range of algae, and can easily starve. I feed mine some extra vegetables, courgette, cucumber, blanched green beans etc. the shrimps enjoy them too.
Do you want some Ramshorn snails as well? they are great for cleaning off new BBA etc, that the Otocinclus and shrimps won't eat. I've never had any problems with them eating plants, although others have found that there are some plants they eat.

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
Looks really good.
My fauna in the tank so far is: 1 otoclinus
You need a few more, they aren't happy on their own, they are a bit like Corydoras like that <http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=107>. You also need to feed it/them, they eat a fairly limited range of algae, and can easily starve. I feed mine some extra vegetables, courgette, cucumber, blanched green beans etc. the shrimps enjoy them too.
Do you want some Ramshorn snails as well? they are great for cleaning off new BBA etc, that the Otocinclus and shrimps won't eat. I've never had any problems with them eating plants, although others have found that there are some plants they eat.

cheers Darrel

Thanks, yes was thinking about getting another otoclinus soon he does look a little lonely on his own, was kinda waiting till I went to pick up all my fish although I can't seem to decide what fish to buy, want something small and shoaling to complement the small tank, maybe rummy nose tetras??? Any suggestions? I have been feeding the Oto from time to time with cucumber and corrugate but he doesn't look fat like some of the pictures I have seen of them, How often should I be feeding him? I would love some Rams horn snails if you have any going spare, did try and get some initially, but someone let me down on them. Cheers for the advice Darrel, much appreciated.

Hi all,
I would love some Rams horn snails if you have any going spare,
I have plenty of spare Ramshorns, PM me your address. I need to clear out a few messages as my PM's are full again, but it should appear when I have.
I can't seem to decide what fish to buy, want something small and shoaling to complement the small tank, maybe rummy nose tetras??? Any suggestions?
Corydoras pygmaeus.
How often should I be feeding him?
I have some veg in all the time, although none of my Otocinclus seem to do much algae cleaning.

cheers Darrel

Thanks dw1305 I have PM'ed you my address.
Are Corydoras pygmaeus bottom dwelling algae eaters? I looking for an exciting mid tank fish that shoals nicely and adds a bit of colour to the tank, I like the idea of keeping the scale small in order to gain perspective in the tank, any ideas anyone?

How about forktail rainbow fish? Maybe not the showiest of fish, but I think you'd get some nice interactions between them, and apparently they're not difficult to breed. (Not that I've ever kept them myself, but they're often in my LFS, and I'm always tempted, but I don't have the space atm.)

Hi all,
Corydoras pygmaeus bottom dwelling algae eaters?
No, they are mid level shoaling fish <http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=283>, and ever so entertaining, but I can't claim they are brightly coloured. Corydoras hastatus would be a more brightly coloured shoaling Cory, but I never see mine, to the extent that I was really surprised when I found them in the tank, as I'd assumed they had all died some years ago.
forktail rainbow fish
Good call, I also like "Thread-fin Rainbows" as pairs, but the females are difficult to find. Another breedable small fish are "Norman's Lamp-eye", but I rarely see mine either, so I assume they feel happier with some cover.

cheers Darrel

7007193488_4925af4268_z.jpg

Just been doing some trimming and thought i'd snap a pic, lots of red critters and a lovely flower on the Anubias.
Also loads of nice pearling going on here is a quick vid from my phone, pretty pleased with the state of this tank for a first attempt. :D

Hi,
Just stumbled upon your tank from another of your threads. Could you tell me what the benfits of the cling film please?
How's this tanks doing now?

tekopikin said:
Hi,
Just stumbled upon your tank from another of your threads. Could you tell me what the benfits of the cling film please?
How's this tanks doing now?

The benefit of cling film is to keep moister in, it only for when staring the tank with the dry start method, this allows the plants to grow in before adding water to the tank. I am sure you can see from the recent pics that the tank is doing great, will keep this thread updated with any major changes that happen to this tank. Cheers

Back