• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sarawak Coast - 35l Nano (Now with Pics)

andyh

Hello UKAPS,

Time for a new journal.........

Sarawak Coast

I have managed to find some time to get things straight and i have stripped down my nano completely. This was for two main reasons, Firstly it needed a lot of work to get it back on track, and more importantly i fancied a change and wanted to try something different with sands/gravels etc. This was further spurred on by a trip to Tony S's house and viewing his nano and other tanks. I also couldn't wait for my new ADA 60P optiwhite aquarium, which i am hoping to get in the next few months.

So as always here is spec of what i will be working with, all of which i already have. The only thing i will need to purchase is the plants:

Equipment List

1. Aquarium, 35L 50cmL x 25cmW x 30cmH (approx 20"x10"x12")
2. CO2 pressurized, German Dual Gauge Co2 Regulator with Built in Solenoid and a JBL small CO2 bottle, glass bubble counter and UP inline atomizer. Plus Cal Aqua Nano Drop checker.
3. Lights, I am using my Arcadia 4 x 24w t5 HO Luminiare. Generally running 1 tube (maybe 2 a little later on) all four for pictures. It slightly overhangs the tank but the legs are adjustable.
4. Substrate, ADA Amazonia powder with ADA Sarawak sand, plus some small graded gravel
5. Filtration, already mature Eheim external 2222, 500lph. Plus a small internal Fluval E50w heater. Using Cal Aqua Nano Glass ware
6. Ferts, will be using Easy Life Kalium-Potassium, and Tropica TPN & TPN+
7. Hardscape, ADA Seiryu Stone
8. CD case, cut into small pieces to hold steeper parts of scape in place and to stop the Powersand mixing with Sarawak.

Plants

All Tropica and purchased from TGM who never fail to impress the plants arrived a few days ago and are massive and uber healthy!

1. 1x Hemianthus Callitrichoides Cuba (HC).
2. 1x Ranunculus Inundatus by Tropica. (new plant to me, seen in a couple of tanks one George and Tony's Nano's)
3. 3x Eleocharis Parvula (hairgrass)

Livestock

Small shoal of Trigonstigma Espej purchased on a sneaky visit to Aquajardin, currently in my holding tank.
Plus shrimps (probably Cherries and Crystal Red Shrimps)
Maybe an Otto or two and some Pygmy Corydoras.

Thanks for looking :wave:

More to follow...............

Andyh

Re: Sarawak Coast - 35l Nano

Evening!

So here is a selection of pics, the tank has been running about 5 days now, the Ranunculus has only been in 24hrs.

You demanded pics so its kinda of your fault that its a little photo heavy: :D :geek:

6160090507_47a1f8b81c_b.jpg
Untitled by andyh_2011, on Flickr

6160632174_0b59730ac0_b.jpg

6160094329_6f8ea3f15e_b.jpg

6160091077_95c5324b25_b.jpg

6160092259_b137aa4e1d_b.jpg

6160092741_b25e61ff16_b.jpg

6160635642_097dc3aa88_b.jpg

The Pics don't really show how steep the substrate is:
6160634426_c58d2b4101_b.jpg

Still got a few more bits of graded gravels to add, and the plants need a prune, but I am just waiting till they get a little more established in 10 days or so.

Thanks for looking

Andyh

thats really nice and has a great sense of depth with the angle of the substrate rise , will fill out nicely aswell .
More pictures to come ? hope so because i want to make a tank like this :)

doobiw55 said:
It's a very nice looking tank :) , how long how's it been running for?
The tank is 7 days old now
ashcarter89 said:
thats really nice and has a great sense of depth with the angle of the substrate rise , will fill out nicely aswell .
More pictures to come ? hope so because i want to make a tank like this :)
More pics soon, once had tweaked it a little more.
Tony Swinney said:
Very nice Andy :)
The HC in the crevices is really cool - looks pretty natural already.
Ranunculus is my favourite plant right now, its so adaptable to different tanks :)
Tony
Yes the HC looks great and even better in the flesh, its very healthy already. The Ranuculus defo has a good look, in your experience does it grow quickly. I want to give it a prune, but thought it would be better to wait till its had time to settle in.
viper3770 said:
Very nice indeed! Fantastic layout :thumbup:
cheers dude
Gill said:
Loving the great depth in this scape. Hairgrass looks great as a background.
Yeah i am loving the hairgrass and once it fills in a little should look better. I graded it two lengths to give more depth at the very back.

If you want some of the Tall Species(Eleocharis vivipara) let me know, it grows quickly. I think it is the one that alot of Asian scapers are using, from looking at pix.

good depth there Andy, looks a lot further back than 25cm! Well done mate, should look ace when grown in.

ps is this in the kitchen? Did she let you have the tank back in there?

Gill said:
If you want some of the Tall Species(Eleocharis vivipara) let me know, it grows quickly. I think it is the one that alot of Asian scapers are using, from looking at pix.
Hey Gill thanks for the offer, i will bare that in mind if the Hair grass don't work out.

ianho said:
good depth there Andy, looks a lot further back than 25cm! Well done mate, should look ace when grown in. ps is this in the kitchen? Did she let you have the tank back in there?

Yes the depth is even better in the flesh, the pictures flatten the scape a lot. The substrate is appprox 1" at the front and 6-7" at the back. The only thing that needs some work is the Ranuculus, i want trim it with shorter at the front an taller at the back, but just going it chance to settle in first.

With regards to the kitchen, the conversation did come up..........but all we will say is this is the study :lol: :lol:

This is a beautiful tank! I have to say that it is looking at your tanks that has inspired me to redesign my tanks - I really loved your first "kitchen tank". Since discovering an interest in fishkeeping, I've always had tanks in the kitchen, much to the despair of one of my housemates who moans about worktop space and water-spillages when I am doing my water changes. I used to have two in the kitchen, but my nano is now in my bedroom, and I'm swapping the bigger tank for a smaller tank in deference to him, but a tank in the kitchen is really a rather lovely thing to watch while waiting for the coffee to brew in the morning!

What did you do about the hole in the worktop?

Packers said:
This is a beautiful tank! I have to say that it is looking at your tanks that has inspired me to redesign my tanks - I really loved your first "kitchen tank". Since discovering an interest in fishkeeping, I've always had tanks in the kitchen, much to the despair of one of my housemates who moans about worktop space and water-spillages when I am doing my water changes. I used to have two in the kitchen, but my nano is now in my bedroom, and I'm swapping the bigger tank for a smaller tank in deference to him, but a tank in the kitchen is really a rather lovely thing to watch while waiting for the coffee to brew in the morning!

What did you do about the hole in the worktop?

My kitchen tank was a joy to work on and having a sink less than a meter away made maintenance a dream.
With ref to the Hole, i purchased a nice slim line cover from ebay in grey to match the work top.

It's a briliant layout, andy. ;)
Fit well together the Sarawak sand and the Seyrui stones. ;)

Suberb layout Andy :thumbup: .
The HC amongst the rocks on the left gives a very natural effect.
I look forward to seeing it grow in.

Cheers,
James

Back