• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sat Feb 20th - trip to Living Waters + MA Morden (Surrey)

a1Matt

The plan is....

Saturday 20th Feb.

Meetup at Maidenhead aquatics in Morden about 10am, and hang around there until everyone has turned up and had a look around. When you arrive please make your way to the aquatic section (not the main garden centre entrance!).

Then move on from there to Living Waters.

Then pick a pub for a spot of lunch.

The Morden branch of Maidenhead aquatics is a nice LFS, has a car park and public transport links (bus, tube, train), so is as good a place as any to start off!

I can not rate Living Waters highly enough. It is a LFS that is clearly dedicated to the planted tank enthusiast. Each time I have been I have spent two hours in the shop and it has gone like a flash! So it is well worth dragging yourself out of bed on the Saturday morning to get to this meet up!

If anyone wants to cross post this on any other boards feel free. I am thinking some CLAS members will be interested.

-----
Maidenhead Aquatics, Morden: http://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/store.aspx?id=61

Address
Morden Hall Garden Centre
Morden Hall Rd Morden
Surrey SM4 5JG

-----

Living Waters: http://www.livingwatersonline.co.uk/ (check out the plant lists! :eek: )

Living Waters
28 Beddington Lane
Croydon, Surrey
CR0 4TB

Tel: 020 8680 3533

Please copy and paste the atendees list below and add your name to show if you are coming. That way we know to hang around for you if you are a little late getting to MA ;)

Attendees
a1matt

I'd be willing to catch the train down to London if I can get a cheap enough ticket, would I be able to hitch a lift with anyone from central London (somewhere like Euston or Marylebone)?

SteveUK said:
I'd be willing to catch the train down to London if I can get a cheap enough ticket, would I be able to hitch a lift with anyone from central London (somewhere like Euston or Marylebone)?
You can go directly from Euston to Morden via the Tube, which I will be using if I can't get a lift down to Morden :p

Attendees:
a1matt
LondonDragon

LondonDragon said:
SteveUK said:
You can go directly from Euston to Morden via the Tube, which I will be using if I can't get a lift down to Morden :p

... and when coming back, I am happy to give you a lift back to the nearest tube station.
Will be nice if you can make it Steve :D

Hi all.

These 2 shops are my local LFS's, so work permitting, I will be there too :D
Will give a definite answer in the week preceding the 20th.
I was only in Living Waters last Sunday and MA @ Morden the Saturday before that :wideyed:
The other half thinks I'm mad :lol:

Attendees:
a1matt
LondonDragon
ghostsword (Luis)
CeeJay

I was only in Living Waters last Sunday and MA @ Morden the Saturday before that :wideyed:
The other half thinks I'm mad :lol:

It is nice to go to LFS's, especially if they are close to us. I go to ADC everyweek, to the Manor Park FS on Saturdays and to another small shop near Canning Town on Sundays.

The pitty is that although they have a lot of fish, they don't have that many plants.. :(

Ceejay, will be nice to see you there. You can show us the best place to grab lunch :p

Luis, I will pick your brain about LFS around the East End when we meet as I am in Mile End most weekends, and the only place I know is Wholesale Tropicals in Bethnal Green.

Thomas, I think you should jump on that tube! If there is interest we could do another meetup going to Wildwoods in Enfield at another date. I've only been there once before and although there was naff all plants the fish stock is so varied I'd say it is still worth a visit.

I might just do that :) need to check I'm not working first though. I love Wildwoods, like you said the fish stock makes up for the lack of plants etc. They have had some nice hardscape in recently though. A meetup there would be great, there's also about another five LFS within 400m.

SteveUK said:
If I make it, I have a couple of UKAPS window stickers somewhere. We could try to get them into the windows of both shops :D
If you do not make it post me the stickers and I will try my luck with them :thumbup:

rawr said:
I might just do that :) need to check I'm not working first though. I love Wildwoods, like you said the fish stock makes up for the lack of plants etc. They have had some nice hardscape in recently though. A meetup there would be great, there's also about another five LFS within 400m.

I had no idea that there were that many! :clap: Shows how popular the aquatic hobby is these days.

Luis, I will pick your brain about LFS around the East End when we meet as I am in Mile End most weekends, and the only place I know is Wholesale Tropicals in Bethnal Green.

Hi Matt, there are three shops in East London:
- East London Aquatics in Balaam Street (http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1291/57616.php)
. Good family shop, good amount of fish, and not that many plants, but they can order plants

- East Ham Aquatics in East Ham (http://www.tipped.co.uk/listings/126560 ... m-aquatics)
. Really small shop, very good to buy Java Fern and frozen food, but that would be it.

- Manor Aquatics Centre in Manor Park (http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1291/59581.php)
. The largest of the three, good to buy plants (although they have no idea of their names)
. Large amount of fish, be they freshwater or saltwater
. Very good shop to buy filter media and lights

What I do is to go first to Balaam Street, then stop by East Ham, have a cup of tea, then finish in Manor Aquatics.

If you want we can meet on Saturday or Sunday and check them out.

Bethnal Green shop is very nice, but out of the way for me, so I usually go there during the week.

For those in London there is a local forum that people can use: http://www.predictscores.net/clas/

We advertise all the local meetings (monthly forum meeting and LFS meet ups) in London on that forum, we are in the process of voting for a new name and will soon move the forum to a dedicated server (being hosted in my site at the moment) with a new domain name.

Enjoy! :)

Funnily enough I am doing this route tomorrow after our monthly visit to Costco :)

Nice to see some familiar members heading this way. I will be coming along to this.

I can make it, and now i have the Diesel, it will be cheaper on fuel than a train ticket.

Back