• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Save the Planet Recipes.

zozo

Make your own eco friendly and biodegradable Laundry soap.

Grate 20 grams of Marseille soap

Weigh 20 grams of Liquid Black soap (Savon Noir)

Add it to 1 litre water with 1 tea spoon of Crystal soda.

Heat it till it boils, stop the boiling, stir it till soap is dissolved.

Put it in a glass bottle and add a dosen drops of nice smelling essential oil. Lavendel? :) Whatever your nose prefers.

Gives you one litre of a very effectively prooven Laundry soap.. For the average (Not so much of a dirtbag) washing machine contents add a small glass 100 to 150ml directly on the laundry into the washing machine and wash away.

Much cheaper than the usual chemical Laundry detergent with pottential allergents of who knows what.
Eco friendly, biodegradable, less harmfulll to aqautic life - what we seemingly are so fond of :) And with keep using the same glass bottle over again is less plastic in the bin. :thumbup:

Do you know any "Save The Planet Recepies"?

Post them bellow.

The planet thanks you. :clap:

Oh Ps.
For the Flat Earthers among us.. Don't worry the plain probably will be equaly greatfull as the planet. :rolleyes:

No recipes as yet:( but how about council tax reductions for gardens, hedge planting instead of walls. Its easy to just look at say what goverments do,ie rainforests deforestation,fossil fuels but lets bring it down to what as individuals can do, invent a paper shopping bag as strong as a plastic one would make someone a millionaire,maybe get involved support campaigns like the one to save Europes last ancient forest in Poland, BTW@ zozo your garden should well qualify for a dutch reduction equivlent of council tax as its a wildlife haven:clap: and making eco friendly soap secondary effect curing blocked sinuses no need to buy nasal sprays in plastic bottles:)

but how about council tax reductions for gardens, hedge planting instead of walls. Its easy to just look at say what goverments do,ie rainforests deforestation

Reforestation is absolutely a top priority save the planet recepie. :) Borneo is waking up Finaly.. And comes with some good news for a change.

Why Borneo Is Centre Stage On Reforestation

All tho i'm not so sure this is a valid statement, scientific people enough claiming it's a hoax that without any valid proof.
Scientists (and indeed anyone who has passed their elementary science classes in primary school) all understand that burning fossil fuels creates greenhouse gases, which increases global temperatures.

Never the less reforestation is a above this if true a welcom gift for wild life preservation. :thumbup: If Urangutans could read, they probably would have a party after reading this news. :clap:

I often thought the IMF should set aside money for people and(its from rich countrys) to support poorer or economies with Rainforests or oil rich seas to spend resources on the ecology of the areas

Switch your search engine to ecosia... granted its missing a few tools I like but they have planted 40 million trees from sponsored results unlike Google who just fill their pockets..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

These ingredients are so expensive where I live!

Love your shout out to Flatters. You realise there is only 3 or 4 of them. Others are just trolls just having a bit of fun....

These ingredients are so expensive where I live!
That's a shame.. :( One could wonder why..

Love your shout out to Flatters. You realise there is only 3 or 4 of them.
I saw it a few times appear in the news lately with a report the flat society is stadily growing with millions of folowers :rolleyes:
Personaly i have non to realise in that debate, for all i care the earth may be a donnut. I never will visit Antartica wouldn't know what for and never ever will get to space to check it out. Wouldn't know how. And for that little piece of earth i personaly move around it looks pretty bumby instead of flat and the thought about the earths shape holds simmular to monotheistic religion no further relevancy for me. Even tho my gut feeling says it indeed all is a hoax with lots trolling followers. :)

Tho must say that the Gravity theory as centrifugal force pulling us to its centre is a wonky one with some potholes in the road.. There are few scientist claiming that electricity is the predominant force in the universe instead. That we are held down by this force as electrons around an atoms nucleus and that it has non to do with physicaly spinning around on a globe. Also something i never ever will be able to check, it think nobody can, but in a way it makes more sense. But the people making a documentary about this concept were all dismissed as pseudoscientists and swept onger the rug. So for now we keep on spinning and stickin..

Last edited:
The latest Blue Planet seems to have done a lot to bring awareness of the threat of plastic pollution. But did the BBC really need a series on it sending a naturalist Liz Bonham thousands of air miles all over the globe? Explorer Simon Reeve covers it all the time as does as does Attenborough. Like Liz Bonham but enviromentalists in those places could send the footage. Its just a question?I know there are people in Africa studying wildlife but TV companies still send celebrities, news readers out there, totally not needed

Last edited:
Hi all,
But did the BBC really need a series on it sending a naturalist Liz Bonham thousands of air miles all over the globe?
No they didn't, but if it gets more people watching, and talking about the issues, then I see it is a good thing.
Its just a question?I know there are people in Africa studying wildlife but TV companies still send celebrities, news readers out there, totally not needed
I'm under no illusion that Liz Bonnin is there for purely scientific reasons, but I would cut her a bit more slack then many celebrities, in that she is a scientist (degrees in Biochemistry and Animal Biology) and apparently <"made a conscious effort to move into wildlife broadcasting">, when already a "celebrity".

cheers Darrel

We have a journalist / investigator, Nature Activist, writer about Nature & Science in the Netherlands named Rypke Zeilmaker. He wrote several books and investigative reports, some with rather shocking conclusions. Unfortunately he didn't write all in English but one book i know about.
Sustainable Fisheries Guide, an audit on sustainability in fisheries

He wrote a books and reports about how Natur organisation and the planning institution behind it actualy using nature as a milking cow it's title of the book is "Hustle Nature"

He investigated numerous Nature Organisations via a Follow the Money perspective. He came to the conclusion that the biggest NGO's in the field were nothing more than Huge Propaganda Machines, multinationals, rather creating mass hysteria with mass psychology to get more funding and donnors. Take a target project and blow it up in the media with falcities and keep on pushing it. To make it look worse than it realy is to present their cause as currently the most important. Keep repeating it endlesly into the media and it gets the talk of the day. E.G. the CO² issue is currently the talk of the day issue, that is also what the media pushes every single day world wide.. And bottom line they do not realy care what in the end happens with what they are lobbying for. Raising money, much more than the project realy needs, mean while other much more important issues stay in the dark because it gets less or no public attention.

The public actualy doesn't realy know what projects are realy important and what is done with the money the donate.. They follow what is told to them via the media.

Nowadays the word Propaganda is out of date, it aint used that much anymore if so mainly in historical context. The new fancy name for it is Public Relations. That's where the celebs come looking. Works very good on the public a face they know reading a well thought out script. This gets more credibility than a nerdy professor nobody knows. Not saying that the host presenting it is in cahoots and of bad intentions. They just go with the flow and are pushed as PR stunt. Probably also don't realy know whats realy goin on.

Rypke dug a little to deep and wrote a bit to much.. By now he is Persona Non Grata as a journalist not invited anylonger for meetings, conventions and press conferences. The organisations Spokesmen, chairmen etc. are no longer allowed to speak to him.

Take for example Greenpeace, the headquarters are based in Amsterdam, a hip office at a top location. Renovated by GP for 200.000 and pay 500.000 a year for the rent. I don't want to know what saleri the president gets. I guess he doesn't step out of his bed for less than a 100.000 a year. :( And that's all payed with donation money from the public. Nobody seems to ask why GP needs such an nice expensive fancy office..

Last edited:
Another recipe.. :) Anything without

Also a perfect PR (propaganda) example, Highly in demand for their alledged Medical properties and anti oxidant contents.
Super healthy!!!

But the truth. According a 10 year old report and a fruit when consummed with the highest health risk grown in the US.

And because of the high demand and positive economical impact they encreased production with 2500 acre.

:what:

How economics make a healthy berry into a health risk...

Switch your search engine to ecosia... granted its missing a few tools I like but they have planted 40 million trees from sponsored results unlike Google who just fill their pockets..

Done, nice find :thumbup:

I would say, us as hobbyists the best gains we could achieve relating to the hobby itself would be less dependence on over the top lighting which then requires co2 injection which lets be honest the majority of the co2 just ends up in the atmosphere rather than the plants. I know there is the temptation when first getting into the hobby (as I did as well) to start off with the highest lighting and latest invention in dissolving co2 then tackling all the problems associated with that. The majority of us aren't pro scapers and these techniques should really be reserved to the people who aspire to that. We could all knock the light down a notch or half an hour less which could end up with us getting away without pumping 30ppm co2 into a tank and still achieve some mind blowing results.

Which brings me to water, still a resource with impact that we choose to ignore because its sort of free out the tap. People will buy expensive RO units which results in most of the water going down the drain without any benefit to anybody. The increased lighting forces us to larger water changes more often. It doesn't take much to collect some rain water, even in quite heavy industrialised areas if you're worried about containments you can buy a solar powered water pump off Amazon for circa £10, it wouldn't take much modding to have this running in a water butt in the garden with some activated carbon. We spend more effort and money on setting up controllers for auto dosing and having our lights dim in and out like sunset and sunrise so I reckon its not a major task.

Imagine the amount of people around the world now involved in this hobby if everyone just lowered the light, used less co2 and tried to harvest a bit of rain water. I would say there would be enough to have an impact in-line with turning the heating down a degree or two in the house.

@dw1305 Darrell, my post earlier just to clarify. The question was in relation to recipes and thinking all the people working on these issues in different parts of the world these could be used to better effect than always sending a expensive "crew" and equipment out. I think I said I like Liz Bonnin.I know she is well qualified and the right type of expert to get the message across in a documentary and wasnt refering to her as a" celebrity" Thinking more of actors or comedians reality stars put on documentaries when there are people out there in the world spending their whole lives studying ecological issues who we rarely hear from. Could have better explained it

Hi all,
Thinking more of actors or comedians reality stars put on documentaries when there are people out there in the world spending their whole lives studying ecological issues who we rarely hear from.
I whole-heartedly agree. Even amongst scientists ecology (and agriculture) are very much poor relations, it is wrong and it will eventually change, but speaking truth to power is more likely to get you sacked, rather than promoted.

cheers Darrel

Not news breaking new it seems to be under investigation already for several years. But never the less stunning..

A discovery made at university Wageningen - Netherlands, that bacteria living in symbiosis at the roots from wetland plants generate electricity as a waste product. They managed to develop a sustainable system to harvest this electricity with placing an inert anode and kathode in the substrate at the plant roots, today a 15²m surface generates enough power to charge a cellphone.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/08/how-can-you-generate-electricity-from-living-plants/

Imagine :woot: where this could go for the aquascaping hobby in the future?! Our beloved hair grass carpet running the pump.. :lol:

Last edited:
Dragons Den BBC2, a innovate dutch chap has a buisness making furniture from plastic waste.The Dragons in there usual smugness quick to point out at £1000 a item was too expensive until he told them his turnover and assets and no trouble selling to corporate companys and only wanted a link for plastic waste rather than money. great use of plastic waste

Back