• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scape corner

Looking good @Jayefc1 :)

I sorted out and posted you a handful of trident fern from my tank today. Also some Rio xingu gravel (new from my left over bag) give it a good wash and sprinkle it between the stones. See what you think!

S.

I do like the trident fern it will look good in this style tank. To be honest after doing mine I looked at a video of the AG shop scape and G.Farmer tank with the trident and it looks great.kind of wish I had used it, i will use it next time.
:thumbup:

Looking good @Jayefc1 :)

I sorted out and posted you a handful of trident fern from my tank today. Also some Rio xingu gravel (new from my left over bag) give it a good wash and sprinkle it between the stones. See what you think!

S.

Aww mate just got home to find your parcel thanks a lot really appreciated

Last edited:
A couple of pics before and after first lil trim
Some trim comments - ignore at will ;)

While it’s tempting at First Trim to only take a little, the concept behind successive trims is to shape and increase density (early editions of Aquajournal included Takashi Amano interviews & photo series, that were later translated for the Vectrapoint english online site) - as each successive trim creates 2 new growth points, first trim is the lowest, then next cut is higher and so on
To keep tank looking good through this process (& to help maintain tank balance) Amano suggested trimming only 1/3 of the stems in each session - of course this is a lot more complicated than the “shear” process

Tropica has long recommended replanting the tops after trimming to help increase plant density and maintain appearance, in their videos they also show quite a severe cut back: as most Tropica potted plants contain a mix of more mature stems and some immature stems, only the tallest are cut back at first trim, so there are still several actively growing stems left uncut (not unlike Amano’s technique)

Hardscape is often used to hide some of those trim points

Of course most stem plants will also naturally branch under conditions of good growth, some will also begin to grow more horizontal than vertical, or a combination of both growth types

So I should have trimmed a lot lower to make the plant fill out from the 2 new shoot at the bottom of the plant and that's why it looks a little leggy now not bushy and filled out. Well now you have pointed it out that makes a lot of sense thanks alto your comments are always more than welcome I'm a novice and you guys are the pros thats why I'm here to learn as best I can

Well after a lot of moving plants around to home the new trident fern and to place the xingu with great thanks to siege here is a before and after pic let me know what you think

Attachments

• IMG-20190508-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20190508-WA0001.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 270
  • 15579137474832072475797073014132.jpg
    15579137474832072475797073014132.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 289
Thanks Tim means a lot coming from a seasoned pro like yourself now I just need to get the trimming part in hand and hopefully it will fill out better

Looking really nice I think. Seems to make the scape whole imo if that makes sense!

A couple of thoughts, experiment, see what you think -

- perhaps move the lotus to mid ground, really make a feature of it. You can keep it low with regular pruning of any tall stems. In its place add a bit more mini-super red.

- try moving the filter inlet to alongside the outflow. Then move the Eheim skim to where the inlet currently is. Flow pointing to glassware. I think the skim may blast the stem plants too much at the back.

Upto to you. Try it out and see what you prefer :)

Is the lotus the red one in the corner under the skimmer wasn't sure what it was and it's in pretty bad condition just wanted to see it I could bring it back it came with the 60p

I agree the xingu has just finished it off I did also get 2 small pieces of dragon stone with the 60p so I hammered them up and used that too I like the way the different colours complement the sirya stone makes it look messy in a natural way of you get that lol

I've cut all the stems right back today proper trimmed them down I want a thick bushy effect at the back and altos post made sense so I went for it replanted the tops though so the whole back is prob 5cm long stems don't know if that was the right thing to do but it has been 5 weeks

Il try the skimmer there trying to get my head round how it will help the flow of the tank

Yes lotus Lilly type thing in back left hand corner, looks like it’s coming on. It’ll send out more leaves that’ll try to get big.

Replanting stems sounds good. They’ll grow well.

I’m pleased you are happy with the Rio xingu stones and the smashed up dragon stones. :)

Experiment with the flow around the tank. At the moment the skim will be helping by moving co2 around but that amount of flow blasting at the stem plants may not be doing them any good. Once things get more established you may find you donot need the Eheim skim (I have removed it from with my 900 at home and felippes 900).

Don’t worry about paying anything. I didn’t send them to you for money, just bring a box of biscuits or packet of Haribo sweets when you come next (we like Haribo!)!

Just really chuffed to see how your tank is coming on really and you are enjoying it :)

Ok il bring you a tenners worth of haribos
Next time I'm down
Il try moving things around I had noticed the stems moving a lot guess just a lil paranoid about flow but every thing seems to be doing ok
Oh mate I don't just enjoy it it's like my second child lol the misses is well happy it means I'm out of her hair most of the time I'm home lol

Back