• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scape help

Garuf

Hello, as im sure some of you are aware I've had an algae take over as of late so I'm using this as a thinly veiled excuse to do a over haul and a subtle scape change.
So here's the proposed christmas rescape if I can get plants/decide it's worth while.
rescapemx2.png

what do you think?
please help me choose plants, Im thinking anubias, crypt's, bolbitis and needle leaved fern but open to suggestions especially as as I want to create something special.

tank spec's are 18"-12"-12" and high light and co2 injection via diffuser.

yeah god knows what thats about when you post over the link it goes all mank. I'll edit it and see if it helps.

Hi Garuf,

The design look fine as it is. the forground should work well. As for the mid-back, well it apears there is only a mid section to this scape. The narrow furn and Bolbitus will look good,but will need carefull placement. you will need to hide all those strate cut ends on your wood, either try braking them up with some pliers, or cracking them some how, or the other thing you could do is, cover them in moss. They look unatural as they.

Hope that helps!

Thanks G Edwards.
when you say they need careful placement what do you mean? Also, how do I get a midground? (sorry I'm a total newbie, this is my first tank).
I'll try the wood crushing thing, thank you.
Regarding plants, what would you use?
I really like those "umbrella" plants tom use's, I could do with better rocks too what would you suggest?

Garuf,

What I always like to see with small tanks is the use of plants to make the tank look bigger than it actually is. This involves the use of smaller leafed stem plants such as HM or Micranthemum umbrosum. Stems such as these should give you a nice background.

Don`t be surprised if your hairgrass grows taller than you expect. Eleocharis `parvula` stays the lowest of the Eleocharis sp

Dave.

Hey cheers dave, I've got some HM lined up so that should be fine.
The Hairgrass I've got is Eleocharis acicularis which gets quiet tall, which is nice because it means I can trim it go give impression of depth.

What other plants would you use in a scape like this? I'm not sold on the anubia's but like there size, is there anything I could use instead of them?

Trimming the hairgrass shorter at the front and leaving it longer at the back seems like a good idea, a bit like a mullett. :lol:

I don`t know whether it`s possible to buy over here yet, but the petite var of Anubias nana is on my wish list for sure, as long as it stays as small as Tropica say. I have wondered what it will look like with Marsilea sp sat in front of it.

The plant you like in Tom`s tank looks like a Hydrocotyle sp to me.

Well I tell you what dave I'm gonna get some from thailand and ill split the rhizome after a few months of growth if you bug me to remember.

4 leaved clover infront would look good i guess but doesnt it get really big?
What other plants could I use instead of barteri petite?

Can I get some help with the placement of the bolbitis and the needles leave fern as I don't really understand how to get the best placement.
I envisioned the bolbitis planted behind the wood would it be better attached to something? same goes for the N.L.F.

getting bolbitis and placing it so it looks nice is either going to take a while or a lot of money to makes it looks good. The price of bolbitis is really expensive and you get minute portion of the plants. I got myself a deal from a seller in germany but he stop selling them on bogwood anymore and only sell those potted one which work out just as expensive as any other seller eve from the far east. My bolbitis has only grown 3 large leaves and 4 medium sized leave and a few small/tiny leave since I got them a month ago. Will take me a year or two before I can do any more rescaping with them. Hopefully they will grow much faster with CO2 addition. Just something to bear in mind or else you might regret spending that money and not getting the scape you desire in time.

cheers dan, I've just gotten back from stoke, bought myself some ember tetras...

I hear you on the bolbitis, I'm injecting co2 and running high light so I should be ok regarding growth it's just a matter of biding my time, I do plan on adding 2 rhizomes worth so that's going to be quiet a few leaves in a 10gall like mine.

The choice of fish in small tanks is vital IMO, and Ember tetras are a good buy, Garuf. I have six of these in a 24l and the orange they show looks great against a green background. I have had mine for about seven months now, and they barely reach 2cm in length.

As for the four leaved clover, once submerged the plantlets should become single lobed, with a leaf shape complimentary to the Anubias. It`s something I want to try some time.

Dave.

Thanks Dave,
what does submersed flc look like? It could be something I try, I've been pricing up plants and I'm up to £48 so I'll have to find a new home for my anubias baretri nana's.
It's ebay I'm getting the plants of though so an email may be able to save me some money fingers crossed.
interesting stems are what I need now for a background, HM I'm not sure will grow tall enough so something else small leaved.

I just hope this all pulls together.

It looks quite a lot like Glossostigma but grows much more slowly. I had it in my cube, but it got covered with BBA. I've got it growing emersed now and it looks great with it's four-lobed leaves. It grows much quicker emersed so I'm bulking it up to try it submersed again.

Hey that sounds really good, glosso didnt work for me it just seemed really big, I could never keep it small like how it comes from tropica.

Ed would it be possible to get some off you once you have enough?

Garuf said:
interesting stems are what I need now for a background, HM I'm not sure will grow tall enough so something else small leaved.

My HM was growing to 25cm before I would cut it back, so it may grow even a little taller. Micranthemum umbrosum will definiteley grow tall enough. Take a look at Rotala sp `nanjenshan` and Rotala rotundifolia as well.

Rotala sp `nanjenshan`

Cropped018pb.jpg

Rotala rotundifolia

Empty013.jpg

Cropped023pb.jpg

Dave.

I'm almost certain I have the second one but I think mine is green entirely. They both are gorgeous though I especially like no-1 but especially number 2 as well.
I'll consider umberosum as an alternative to HM so thats cool.
How does £2 a plant sounds for anubias nana's petite?
and is £14 expensive for needle leaved fern?

Back