• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Scape in 60 minutes

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
I was asked to set up a 35 litre planted tank for a work colleague. It's a present for his wife to sit in her office.

He provided the tank and plants, including the new Cryptocoryne affinis from TGM.

I provided the hardscape, substrate and completed the layout in around an hour, including taking the photos at appropriate stages.

I set it up in my kitchen with help from my little assistant. The tank was drained, clingfilmed and delivered soon after.

It was fun working to a tight schedule and his wife was really happy with the result. He's an experienced fishkeeper so hopefully it'll look good in the longer-term.

1. Empty tank - Arcadia Arc Pod, 35 litres
1empty.jpg

2. Sand is added and Petrified wood is ready to add, both Unipac.
2sandreadyforrocks.jpg

3. Petrified wood is added
3sandandrocks.jpg

4. Pea gravel is added onto sand. Red Sea Florabase behind Petrified wood
4pebblesandsubstrate.jpg

5. Borneo driftwood from AE is added. This is one piece, believe it or not.
5wood.jpg

6. Anubias nana is superglued to small pieces of Petrified wood
6anubiasglue.jpg

7. Water is filled to a third full very slowly to avoid clouding. I siphon from a 30 litre drum with a 6mm airline.
7fillwater.jpg

8. Plants are unpacked prepared and planted. All Tropica pots from TGM, 3 x Vallisneria nana, 1 x Alternanthera reinekii, 2 x Cryptocoryne affinis, 2 x Anubias nana
8planting.jpg

9. Planting complete
9afterplanting0.jpg

10. Final shot (including bubbles!)
10final.jpg

Hi George,thats a nice little scape,nice low light easy maintainance tank,no wonder she was pleased,
regards john.

It looks a lot bigger than it is in the last photo! I like the fact it's quite different from the normal stuff.

Won't some of the plants outgrow this tank though?

I like the wood, it's hard to believe that's only one piece :?

What make is the light? I don't think i've seen anything like that before.

stuworrall said:
looks really good George and quick too! Ive still to try any anubias in any of my tanks
Thanks, Stu.

Anubias are a nice species. Great for filling empty areas around the base of decor quickly. Most folk get algae on the leaves but if you dose appropriately and have good circulation around the plant then it stays almost flawless.

fish.com1 said:
I like the wood, it's hard to believe that's only one piece :?

What make is the light? I don't think i've seen anything like that before.
The light is an old Interpet 24w PC T5 with a T8 reflector attached. It was used to photo purposes only, as the owner will be using the supplied Arcadia 11w unit.

Hi George, maybe you can make "Fast-food aquascapes" as part of your articles, because this one looks great. I am curious though, is the lighting enough for the Alternanthera reineckii to turn bright red? Thanks.

flygja said:
Hi George, maybe you can make "Fast-food aquascapes" as part of your articles, because this one looks great. I am curious though, is the lighting enough for the Alternanthera reineckii to turn bright red? Thanks.
Thanks!

I'm not sure how the plants will cope in general with the low lighting, but with a good substrate and nutrients, they'll get the best chance.

I'll try to do a follow up on this in a couple of months time.

Dan Crawford said:
Hey buddy, nice work!
Thanks mate! :D

had the tank for a week now and the growth has surprised me! i am dosin 1ml of fertalizer a day and with only 11w of light i am quite shocked that it is doing so well. the Alternanthera reinekii has grown almost 2 inches now reachin the top of the tank, i have new growth on the anubias, and currently have had no 'crypt melt' (lets hope it stays that way).

will test it later today and if ok will be adding 6 cherry shrimp.

ta again george

Back