• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scientists have woken up 42000 years old worms

zozo

A group of Russian scientists have successfully revived two species of tiny worms that they discovered suspended in an icy chunk of Siberian permafrost.

The worms, known as nematodes or more commonly as roundworms, had been frozen for up to 42,000 years, since a time when much of the planet was covered in ice.

But they weren't dead — just cryogenically preserved.

The permafrost samples came from the remote Yakutia region in Siberia. The researchers analyzed over 300 samples, and selected two that had well-preserved nematodes in them. One of the samples was 100 feet deep and estimated to have frozen 32,000 years ago, while the other was just over 11 feet deep and froze 42,000 years ago.

In the report, the authors acknowledge that certain types of bacteria, algae, yeasts, seeds, and spores have been found to remain viable even after being frozen in permafrost for thousands or even millions of years. But an organism as complex as the nematode has never been shown to be capable of this.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1134/S0012496618030079

Wow that is amazing, and with GNR (Genomics Nanotechnology and Robotics) making such rapid progress these kinds of discoveries have increasing potential for future scientific application in such fields as cryomedicine, cryobiology, and astrobiology..

Not only that, but since all the climate changes, all reports of melting artic and permafrost etc. Who knows what comes crawling out in the future.

Exciting times ahead.. :)

"The Thing", maybe not so far fetched after all..

Exciting times ahead.. :)
There are. I think we are of the generation that, as children, were promised flying cars etc by the time we reached adulthood, so I guess we have an "anything is possible" attitude woven in to our psyche. If you believe futurists, like Ray Kurzweil, there will be a GNR revolution sometime within the next 20 years that will change the very fabric of our society and existence.

"anything is possible" attitude woven in to our psyche.

That i absolutely believe.. :) Lately i saw a rather seriously approached lecture/talkshow presenting several scientist and proffesioanls in the field. BTW hosted by John CLeese..

Discussing "Near-death Experience" and the less common reported "Out off Body Experience". It seems to be it's taken more and more seriously in the medical and psychological field that there is absolutely something more to life than a physicall excistance only. Some reports ar so baffling they leave little room for discussion.

Tho personaly i believe life after death is a religious fueled hope, people are still clinging to, to escape this yet still deemed inevitable end of life. Exploited by charlatans with a desperate love for attention.. Only throwing sand in everybodies eyes. The agnost in me, that if given the choice rather believes in holisme, tells me keep searching for this phenomenon in life and not in death. :thumbup:

https%3A%2F%2Fharmonybooksfilmsllc.files.wordpress.com%2F2015%2F02%2Flive_long_and_prosper.jpg

I have a friend who works in the pharmaceutical industry, and has daily contact with the medical profession, mainly advisory. He told me that many of his doctor colleagues have end of patient life stories or phenomena that can't be explained by our current scientific knowledge.

I think, generally speaking, many in the scientific community now understand that the original reductionist framework that underpins much of our science isn't always as useful as it was once thought to be, and that there is a need for a more holistic approach.

What size tank do you thing would be needed.
Dunno, it would be the tank of my dreams i hope.. :)

It was not that long ago when air was thought to not have any mass. I try to keep an open but skeptical mind. William of Oakham's razor should be in every science tool kit.

What contradicts most is that even longer ago ancient civilization all over the planet builded constructions from massive polygonal hard stone material.
A massive puzzle we yet can not comprihend how to start calculating it, not even to speak of chiseling it by hand and make it fit to the degree of perfection. One tiny wrong cut and you can trash a 10 ton block and start over.. The razor they used to cut, is lost over time. It's there, it stands like a house and all we can do is look silly and flap with our ears.

Mind boggling mysterys about the capability of the human mind over matter.

There are more resent examples of mind boggling perfection in mind over matter that can not be explained. Take a look at the Marble sculptures by Antonio Corradani - Pulizia or Raimondo di Sangro - Disinganno. If you see it and you look very close it simply can not be explained what and how they did.

That Disinganno sculpture contains nummerous nooks and crannies chiseled into photographic perfection and nobody knows what tool he used to be able to reach it. No room to work and still it's flawless.

Makes you wonder about the mind behind the hand that made it. :)

Last edited:
Back