• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scott's boring aquascape aka 'undergrowth'

Re: Scott's boring aquascape

LondonDragon said:
Any losses?

I don't think I've lost many, if any at all. The first night they went for a ride up the filter intake. After that, I put gauze over the intake.

cheers

I think I'll have to thin some of this Hemianthus Micranthemoides. I'm experiencing the same problems George had - actually, it was his daughter - when trying the Aquaray LEDs. It seems even carpeting plants can block the light. Last week I thinned a section of HM. The horizontal off-shoots creeping below the main tips had turned slightly brown, with holes in some of the leaves. The same thing is happening with this patch, too. (It probably doesn't help that I spread Dwarf Hairgrass in between the HM. The combination looked good for about two weeks, before the HM went crazy.)
Carpet%20Bomb%20-%2001.jpg

I plan to remove the taller HM behind the Bolbitis, to give it better definition. I wanted to replace the moss with more Bolbitis. The moss is too dominant for my liking. But I can't bring myself to deprive the shrimp of their home.
Carpet%20Bomb%20-%2005.jpg

Speaking of shrimp.
Carpet%20Bomb%20-%2006.jpg

Week 10 update:

This is roughly what I envisaged when I started. The only difference being that it looks nothing at all like I imagined. The moss is too prominent. I would prefer it if it was more 'figure-hugging'. Other than that, the only other problem is keeping the HM in line, which is a daily task.

undergrowth%20-%201.jpg

I'll persevere with it for another few weeks, then I'll tear it down.

Incidentally, the photographs are all licensed under creative commons. It means they can be used, and even altered, as long as the license stays intact. I doubt these photographs are of sufficient quality to be used. Nevertheless, it's something I would encourage other people to do as it makes it easier for people to share photographs, or use them in online articles etc., which everyone can then benefit from. On the other hand, if you want to make money from your pictures, it's probably not the best thing to do.

the photographs are all licensed under creative commons.
Good for you! There's so many pics that I'd love to use to encourage people to take up the hobby but it's such a hassle getting the forms sent back and forth. If a person isn't making a living off their photos/articles etc etc, it's a great way to go.
I'll be adding that to most of my photos, thanks.

And thanks for the journey through your first tank - inspiring!
Cheers

Nice work, especially for a first go around! :D Yep, the carpet plants should be kept as a low as a carpet otherwise they do tend to block flow.

Cheers,

Back