• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scrape a rock - get a feast

Big G

Evening all,

Thought I would post about a behaviour Ive noticed more and more from the shrimp.

Occasionally I’ll go in the tank to scrape a bit of something off a rock. Maybe using a toothbrush or one of several dental plaque tools which are perfect for the job. Within minutes of withdrawing from the tank half a dozen shrimp are on that spot munching away. It’s like I’ve unlocked some otherwise inaccessible source of high grade nutrition for them. I’ve even seen them squabble for space on the rock- something I’ve never seen them do otherwise.

Anyone got a clue what’s going on or have shrimp that do something similar?

peace

Bg

I think its the calcium and other minerals realised from the rock when you scrape of the surface shrimp go mad for it after I use a wire brush to clean the rocks

The rock in this scenario is Dragonstone. It’s pretty soft to my reckoning.

Both ideas make a lot of sense.

I would love a wire brush but cant seem to find one that’s small enough. Ideally toothbrush sized or smaller.

cheers all

Bg

Aquarium Gardens sell little wire brushes when ever I order i just give them.a ring and ask them to pop a couple in

Aquarium Gardens sell little wire brushes when ever I order i just give them.a ring and ask them to pop a couple in
Interesting J, I cannot for the life of me find the little wire brushes you might be referring to. I’ve seen a very expensive ADA product, almost like a child's poster paint brush with the nylon hairs replaced with steel. The fact that ADA offer such an item is interesting in itself.

best

Bg

@Big G
Interesting J, I cannot for the life of me find the little wire brushes you might be referring to. I’ve seen a very expensive ADA product, almost like a child's poster paint brush with the nylon hairs replaced with steel. The fact that ADA offer such an item is interesting in itself.

——————————————————————————————————————————————-

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-mini-abrasive-brush-set/p/0287953

These are perfect and are only a squid.

Ive got an ADA Pro Brush Hard, usually use a brush similar to the above then the posh ADA one to get in hard to reach crevices. The ADA one is another league. Just wish they’d do it with changeable heads (rather than a fixed one).

Think id kill the ADA one in no time if I just used that.

Last edited:
Amazon product ASIN B07F2BCVJLThere are quiet few on amazon and cheap too

Thanks for the heads up on these Jay, just received a set - great value and really useful design having the two heads. is the brass one safe for use in an aquarium? (I assume so as its safe for drinking water fittings)

Does anyone know if these style of brushes will scrape excess/overspill superglue off rocks once the tank is flooded?

Yeah they do scrape glue off well they definitely do on wood @Wookii not to sure about the brass one I never use it just in case use that to clean the rocks before and after a hardscape set up

@Big G I've had something really similar happen today. I've only had my shrimp for about a month, but just after a tank clean they were hoovering up everything in sight :) I've never seen them so excited!
I'm keeping them in a biOrb (though their new home arrives soon), so now I'm wondering whether they they are avoiding feeding off the clinker-y substrate at the bottom of the tank unless it gets stirred up.

Back