• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scratched glass, can it be polished out?

MarkS

Hi all

Delighted with my second hand purchase of an Aqua Oak 200L aquarium including the oak cabinet and hood. I got it for good price. However, the scratches inside the aquarium, that I originally thought were minor, are now hitting me like a smack in the face.

The question I have is can these be effectively polished out using cerium oxide and a buffing wheel? Or should I just buy a new aquarium, perhaps with low iron glass?

Fortunately the tank is not filled yet as I'm waiting until next payday to buy the substrate and soil, stroll on that stuff is a dear do!

Cheers

Mark

I agree with Castle as well.

If they aren't that deep, try filling it with water before you decide to scrap it. Sometimes with water they are far less noticeable. Check the back as well if it isn't drilled as you can sometimes just flip the tank.

Suppose you get it out, it will make a dent in the glass and turn the tank into a psychedelic headage. It's like looking through a pair of spectacles that are not fit for your eyes.

I agree with Castle as well.

If they aren't that deep, try filling it with water before you decide to scrap it. Sometimes with water they are far less noticeable. Check the back as well if it isn't drilled as you can sometimes just flip the tank.
Well, just flipped the tank and the front now looks great. Still leaves the ends to polish but worth a go I'd say. Thanks :)

Suppose you get it out, it will make a dent in the glass and turn the tank into a psychedelic headage. It's like looking through a pair of spectacles that are not fit for your eyes.
🤣🤣 Maybe, but I quite like a bit of Pink Floyd 👍

🤣🤣 Maybe, but I quite like a bit of Pink Floyd 👍

I'm driving a 40-year-old Mercedes and this car has been for 250.000km mainly on the autobahn. The windshield is littered with tiny chips and scratches from all the stones hitting it over the years. During the day it's unnoticeable, but at night the light from oncoming traffic glares over the windshield like mad and gives me headaches.

Since a new windshield for this car is extremely expensive I found out there also exist companies that offer Car Windshield Polishing services.

I asked professional opinions on it if this is a worthwhile investment. The answer was the same, you're at risk of severe headaches after an hour of looking through an irregularly polished windshield during the day. Then you're back to square one still need to buy a new one. For now, my cheapest solution is don't drive long distances at night.

But contacting such a professional shop might give you the answers you're looking for

Last edited:
Update.... back to the drawing board. Turning the tank made it impossible to fit the spray bar and outlet as, due to the design of the hood, they need to be on the back wall and the bracing on my tank is very wide on that side. The polishing exercise was not easy and I decided not to pursue my efforts in refurbishing. A local guy is picking up the tank for his breeding pair of discuss tomorrow so at least someone will get use out it.

Now to find a nice low iron tank. It's an odd size so will need to be made to order. Any suggestions gratefully received.

ND Aquatics are meant to be pretty good. A friend of mine loves the tank he got from them. They also quoted me at lightning speed, just haven't actually ordered a tank from them personally.

ND Aquatics are meant to be pretty good. A friend of mine loves the tank he got from them. They also quoted me at lightning speed, just haven't actually ordered a tank from them personally.
Thanks, I'll give them a try. Have also sent an email to Aquariums4Life, seems only fair as they are a sponsor of UKAPS.

Thanks, I'll give them a try. Have also sent an email to Aquariums4Life, seems only fair as they are a sponsor of UKAPS.
I’ve had a tank from both and the one from aquariums4life is far superior, the ND isn’t the worst in the world but you get what you pay for in this instance.

cheers

I’ve had a tank from both and the one from aquariums4life is far superior, the ND isn’t the worst in the world but you get what you pay for in this instance.

cheers

^^ What @Conort2 says - A4L are to ND what Astin Martin are to Ford . . .
Thanks for the comments, really appreciated :) May I ask you both what you feel differentiates A4L tank? The material specifications are the same so I guess you are alluding to the standard of manufacture? Or service maybe?

My particular application (AquaOak 200L) has a wooden bevel around the base (hides bottom 30mm) and wooden hood that covers the tank from top to about 40mm down. So the reality for me is just two beads of silicone will be visible on the front two corners. So.... still worth the premium in my case?

May I ask you both what you feel differentiates A4L tank? The material specifications are the same so I guess you are alluding to the standard of manufacture? Or service maybe?
Quality of build, the silicone work is practically invisible on the a4l tank and the double skinned cabinet is rock solid, the thing weighed an absolute tonne however this is a 5 foot cabinet.

Cheers

Back