• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scutariella on Cherry Shrimp

DianeC

Yet another challenge!
I bought 5 blue velvet shrimp on thursday and noticed white things on the head of two of them, they looked just like pictures showing sculariella.
The shop offered a refund and gave me some salt to treat them with however they hadn't experienced this before so were not much help in explaining the treatment other than dip them.
What I have read on web is to dip the shrimp into 1tsp salt dissolved into 1cup aquarium water for 60 seconds and the 'beasties' should come off. Didn't happen! I will repeat tomorrow .
Has anyone had this and treated it? Any info appreciated.

I feel your pain.

I'm also battling Scutariella in my cherry tank, for about 2 weeks now.

What seems to be working for me (so far) is:
  • A 20-30 second saltbath for each obviously affected shrimp (mine had rostrums covered in the worm ends), then I pop them straight back into the tank. Berried females seem ok with this too, no obviously dropped eggs so far
  • Treating with 1/2 strength Seachem paraguard for a week.
  • I'm picking out any moults I see in the tank and will do this as best I can for a few weeks after I see no more Scutariella, the eggs can remain in the moult and re-infect the entire tank.
As I have 2 shrimp tanks now, I'm keeping all tools and hoses to their own tank to avoid any cross contamination possibilities

I think i'm winning the war, but still losing a few battles

Good luck!

I do read Praziquantel is effective on these flatworms. A few years ago i had a personal e-mail chat with Dr. Fiona McDonald form Fish Treatment Ltd. It was about a different infection, but she adviced me to use Fluke Solve as remedi.. It's a Praziquantel based medicine in powder form she and her team have personaly developed. She adviced me to use it as a 14 day treatment to be most effectve. It has absolutely no negative effect on fish and shrimps even snails don't seem to care much about it. And next to a bunch of cherries i have a lot of snails..

Thats what i did, 14 days long recomended dosage. It worked like a charme..

It can be bought here
https://www.fish-treatment.co.uk/shop/

Learnt something new today!

So it seems I've had this in the past which had been identified as Green Hydra at the time (I used Fenbendazole to treat).

14918391784_4d463b3cfb_o.jpg
Green Hydra covered CRS Post Moult Closeup

Now shelved in memory so if I come across it again in the future I can treat it specifically rather than generally.

:)

Thanks for all the info and articles. I'm going to try and order the stuff from 'fish treatment' and hopefully be done with this. I'm convinced this morning every shrimp is now wearing a white head dress, paranoia at its best!!
I will update with any news.

Quick update on me on this one. I've continued with the salt bathing / paraguard / moult removal since, and I hadn't seen any evidence of newly infected shrimp - until just now :( So I will continue for a while but I think I might need to change tack and buy some Praziquantel

I have a load of baby shrimp now too so hopefully it won't affect them!

Diane - did you get yours sorted in the end?

I do read Praziquantel is effective on these flatworms. A few years ago i had a personal e-mail chat with Dr. Fiona McDonald form Fish Treatment Ltd. It was about a different infection, but she adviced me to use Fluke Solve as remedi.. It's a Praziquantel based medicine in powder form she and her team have personaly developed. She adviced me to use it as a 14 day treatment to be most effectve. It has absolutely no negative effect on fish and shrimps even snails don't seem to care much about it. And next to a bunch of cherries i have a lot of snails..

It can be bought here
https://www.fish-treatment.co.uk/shop/

I can confirm this worked for me, using fluke solve :)

I went and bought the stuff from Fish Treatment ( and must say the lady was extremely helpful!) As yet I haven't used it as I have some young fry in the tank but will do soon. I have seen only a few shrimp with 'white hats' on after salt dipping however I have seen suspicious signs in my other tank with shrimp from the same source.

Thanks Diane. I’m keeping on top of mine just about. Interested to see your outcome when you decide to use it

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered some the other day to check it out as I wanted to check out the Nordic foods too. I’ve started reading the labels on some of the popular shrimp foods and am not super impressed. Will let you know how it goes when I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my mark's shrimp tanks treatment - it's fenbendazole 20% - but i only bought half as much as I needed *sigh* - Quick delivery from Mark so good on him

I also picked up some fluke solve (Praziquantel) as per zozo's suggestion (thanks!) so I will be trying that first - I'm still seeing scutariella on some shrimp even though I'm bathing and picking out the moults I can see.

We'll get there hopefully!

She adviced me to use it as a 14 day treatment to be most effectve. It has absolutely no negative effect on fish and shrimps even snails don't seem to care much about it. And next to a bunch of cherries i have a lot of snails..

So I got my fluke solve delivered and dosed according to the package last night - the package says "1g per 250L" so for my 60L tank that's 0.24g.

Zozo - can I ask you roughly what the dosage you used was if you remember? I don't know whether 0.24g is a one-off treatment or if it should be split up over time.

There are no instructions about repeating the dosage

TYVM in advance for any info :)

So I got my fluke solve delivered and dosed according to the package last night - the package says "1g per 250L" so for my 60L tank that's 0.24g.

Zozo - can I ask you roughly what the dosage you used was if you remember? I don't know whether 0.24g is a one-off treatment or if it should be split up over time.

There are no instructions about repeating the dosage

TYVM in advance for any info :)

I did dose the same amount as recomenden on the package.. It's a one-off treatment.. If you plan to use it as 14 day treatment and you do a water change in between you need to top off again what you taken out.

It's now 2 weeks since I treated the 60L with Praziquantel (fluke solve)

I accidentally overdosed by about 50% then panicked and so i did 10% water change for the next 2 days and then waited to see.

Turns out that everyone's fine. No deaths at all.

I've continued with my 10% per week waterchange routine and there's no sign of scutariella on anyone, they're all just getting on with it.

Hello!

Sorry to resurrect the thread but I just found some scutariella on my cherry shrimp this morning in my nano tank. I'm not completely sure what to do, they were on about 6 shrimps that I can tell (I have about 100 ranging from large to tiny). The tank is so full of moss that I don't think I'll be able to catch them all.

They share the tank with 2 amanos and 4 rabbit snails. Can I treat with fluke-solve and not hurt the snails? Wondering if I should set up a quarantine for the snails, and treat the whole tank for a while, or quarantine as many shrimp as possible and treat them in there. The only other problem is that I rarely see moults, I think they eat them very quickly but I know I need to be vigilent, so maybe trying to catch all the shrimp & quarantine is better in a simple tank where it's easy to see everything. Will the parasites affect the amanos too?

Also paraguard seems to not be available in the UK any more, so I think I will try the fluke-solve. Would love any extra advice

Back