• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sea of Ferns - Tank Closed

pologies did not know that, here you go.
ABN.JPG

So during the 2moves this year, this being the 3rd. Alot of my scaping supplies had been misplaced/lost.
Remembered this morning that as we had ran out of storage room, we put stuff into a friends garage.
Hey presto my Supplies were in there.
So got to thinking about the pipefish, And found these little cubes i had ordered from Ebay months ago.£2.00 each at the time, i believe the design has been improved upon. and there are triple chamber ones.
They fit together easily and do look very nice.
So filled it with Daphnia. And smaller daphnia pass thru the holes while larger adults stay within the cube.
Can aso be used for isolating fish etc.
They are 5CM Square
feeder cube.JPG

Oh and these are toothbrush holders from Poundstretcher £1 each.
Think they work really well as Planters
rip pot.JPG

cheers, yep kept them a few times and different types.
Once you get them eating they are great.
I am feeding the NT Labs micro crumb, Live daphnia, mix of frozen daphnia, cyclops and lobster eggs, Decapsulated BS eggs. And of course in the long run the shrimplets from the colon of shrimp.
They are hard to get hold of initially, but once you build up a relationship with the sellers that can get them in. It gets a little easier. I find most of the time ebay has them. And I send messages to as many LFS in and around me to ask if they can get them in.
I find it helps to turn off the filters when feeding, as they are more able to get to the food. Also helps that is Use long pipettes filled with frozen and live foods and squeeze out a little at a time in one location so they get used to where the food will be.
They are behaving axactly as I had imagined. And anchor themselves to the Ferns or rest in amongst them.
Re NT labs micro crumb - never spotted that before. Do the pipefish take it? Is it sinking or 'floating' (as in more neutrally buoyant - not on the surface)?

I've been trying for a while to find something that tank raised dwarf puffers can be persuaded to try.

Regards, Mark

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Re NT labs micro crumb - never spotted that before. Do the pipefish take it? Is it sinking or 'floating' (as in more neutrally buoyant - not on the surface)?

I've been trying for a while to find something that tank raised dwarf puffers can be persuaded to try.

Regards, Mark

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Hi

It's a fine powder and they are taking it.
All the other fish take it aswell. And it settles onto all the hardscape for fish to pick at. This is why I like it so much. As all the inhabitantsbcan graze on it. Even the micro crabs

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

A few things have changed.
Added some lovely Blue Diamond Shrimp and they have ovely orange and red eyes.
Took out a few of the ferns. Just to open out the scape more.
Added a few Cardinal Tetra. Loving them so far. and the Colors on them Glow so much in the RGB lighting.
Neons, look amazing, and the finnage has a blue/pearlescent tinge to it.
Super Red BN have turned out to be Calicos, which I did not want. So in dicussion with the seller about that, as Dont like them. I mean if I wanted calico would have ordered them.
Moss is doing great and all of it looks nice and bushy.
Pipes have settled in well.And they have colored up nicely. Still waiting on the Banded Corals though:(

Added Shrimp King sticks to their diet. And everything goes nuts for it.
Will Take some pix tonight and update.

How are the boxes of daphnia working out? Do you have a link to the listing?

A few pix
Have a bit of staghorn, but like it wafts in the current
239d51d40fbabf3e820eb32db3c18393.jpg
d638d372d22cbab052ec1e077056381d.jpg
f21c736f3af26d4040f9ed79310fa1e8.jpg
3a506e647014ffa1a6228e8993f310ff.jpg
f8012c224a089d56710f736ef65e02f0.jpg
2ccb7519849c54f693f17591b81b818c.jpg

One thing I am liking is the guppies give a great clean whenever my hand is in the tank. They will pick away at all the dry skin. Feels like being tickled.

Micro crabs out and about.
And darter cichlid.

Have sold all the neons, as did not like the contrast against the cardinals.

And if you had the choice of:
Blue rams
Electric blue rams
Gold rams
Pink rams
Which would you go for as all the rams i have are female, as bought them in a group hoping for dom male to emerge. But sadly all females.
If gold hoping for a peach or pink to find its way into the batch coming after crimbo.
c081893761b34d49f9389f5909c00dd2.jpg
152f25902423b81ecc3a273e66d50d08.jpg
3f57b08eed3e9619e656fac49f2cbce6.jpg
9b68496dd7e24f76e5d2f417fa89b5ce.jpg
7ec6efb53600628b1dde9bd8ff927954.jpg
d673a8728baa03d36850676f7de4cb3b.jpg

Hi Gill,

The tank is looking good!

Don't know if you already do it, but I hope you don't mind my piece of advice. I see you're having the same problem I did with algae in the moss. Moss acts like a filter sponge, so I believe the issue with mine was mostly due to detritus accumulation in the moss (I didn't know better at the time and didn't even clean mine). You should try using a paint brush on the moss before water changes to remove waste and hopefully reduce the amount of algae on it.

Cheers!

Hi Gill,

The tank is looking good!

Don't know if you already do it, but I hope you don't mind my piece of advice. I see you're having the same problem I did with algae in the moss. Moss acts like a filter sponge, so I believe the issue with mine was mostly due to detritus accumulation in the moss (I didn't know better at the time and didn't even clean mine). You should try using a paint brush on the moss before water changes to remove waste and hopefully reduce the amount of algae on it.

Cheers!
Thanks.
I swish the moss before a water change.
Though i dont like pristine tanks. I like them dirty with lots of algae for the fish shrimp etc to graze upon. Lots of algae of differing types helps new fry graze and also shrimplets. And the crabs enjoy all the algae.
I also harvest the algae and dry it out. Then crumble it up as food for the inhabitants.

Going clean up crew shopping this afternoon as want some Amano and more vampires. And maybe a few more farlowellas and whiptails.

Might get some more plants if I see any crinum crisps to add to the back or vallis. Whichever is available.

Also anyone got any recommendations for south derby area.
I have a MA n findern, and the prices are shockingly high.

I found an lfs that has good pricing.
Magenta guppy males were £1 each. All rilli shrimp colours were £2.

Travelled to wharf. And was not impressed to be honest. Anything interesting was way over priced.

Might take a trip to pier after the new year.

So last night little one decided that the fish were hungry and dumped a load of chicken into the tank. Did not tell me. This was after they had had some scraps from crimbo dinner.
So wake up this morning to tank full of dead fish etc.
Lost 2 vampires
2 farlowellas
Both of my blue phantoms
4 crabs
6 guppy females
2 of the super red Plecs

Big water change. Gravel vac.
Will see how it goes and do another water change tonight. And another vac.

Silly boy thought he was helping.

No more losses. Have made a makeshift protein skimmer in till I can buy one. Just to help clean the water a bit more. And have been scooping out the foam.

was going to get a chihiro doctor. for the money though decided to just add an internal with diffuser, to add more oxygen.

So the plants from Darrel arrived this afternoon.

I had also purchased some Amano shrimp and crystal red shrimp(another scape)

I have added the bleheri to this scape. And love it big and full it looks. I don't mind that it is overpowering the left side. As like how it's fronds sway in the flow.

96ed0cf3442189d86fd9d519e98c1206.jpg
1fb1e467a414aa6f02e3803f3aa5bef4.jpg

So there were some plant prices that I could not pass up. Aquafleur all Pots for £2.
So that meant a rescape.
Got a few echindorous red, reopens juncus, vallis, althera red, more hydrocotyle trip.
Used one peice of root from the old scape.
Have also added some more fish. A few glass cats, more amano shrimp, titanium rams, gold rams, Elegans Cory's,
d04002517f3315386d605e4200d46b7c.jpg
aa031cb15a3c05a3638e9b62811c13e4.jpg

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back