• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sea of Ferns - Tank Closed

So loving how the Moss has all become so bushy. And trip is growing nicely in an amongst the rocks etc.
Have had a few issues with the fish.
Rams have had a bit of fungus and then white spot on the cardinals. So treating for that.

Have removed the big sword, and using that in one of the tubs outside.
Ordered some nice hydrocotyle to grow emersed and cover top and the sides of the tank trailing down.

Thinking about putting in another emersed island using a large peice of lava rock. And some low growing stems maybe. And some creeping jenny.

Decided to get the chihiros doctor in the end. So waiting on that to arrive. And will see what the benefit of it is.

The gold rams from MA have colored up nicely, and the female is showing more orangey peach color so happy about that.

Had the localish lfs owner out on Saturday as had a plumbing issue. And he said he would fix it for me. Which was very nice of him.
And he was amazed at the quality of the tank and stand and the depth it gives you to work with.
Doesn't have the clientele for such a range In his area. Although would definitely sell them if he ever changed locale.

Will take some pix tonight. When there is not so much glare.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Pix
d520623b0eb81b7e0819efd1ba658126.jpg
e37b937cef5002d79391ce37429aad90.jpg
0718356147e9a811763ddfa1e2de3c5b.jpg
70145eb20459bfdf7866d5b1c9ae6ce1.jpg

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Lovely tank dude kudos to yourself :thumbup:, just a tip for taking pictures, if you occlude the light from your luminaire that is going towards the camera with a piece of cardboard or a cloth or something, you will get much clearer photos as the tank will only be backlit and lit inside.

Well this morning has been interesting treat for the fish. Found ants in the living room and dining room. So after catching them and watching the guppies tear into them. Have dusted with poison all round the skirting boards downstairs.

Now it makes sense why there were ant traps in the hallway, when I moved in

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

A little update.
Really liking how the firecracker female guppies have coloured up. Yellow orange red green and blue.
Yellow males are looking great aswell.
Rams are looking great
Cardinals have white spot, and treating them for it.

So glad I chose elegans Cory as they look very nice amongst the moss.

Do need to do a big trim as moss is very bushy. Still have an algae issue which is getting better.
a4d60319541127ecbd1e9886462294f7.jpg

Last edited:
Excuse the mess, just had a pollen feed and guppies had pushed around the moss balls.
You can see how much of a trim is needed on the moss and Trip, Grows so Fast.
Top left is Hydrocotyle Leucocephala, like how this grows emersed, and will be training it to grow all along the back surface of the tank and down the sides(externally)
Also will be adding a Red Lotus to this, will be at the top of the tank, planted into the upper most lava rock. Just want to see how differently it will grow this way.

Last edited:
Lol just realised you can hear the Intro to Porus/Alexander in the background.

Big trim done. Put all the cuttings in a tub outside.
Will take some pic tonight

Post trim, forgot to trim the echindorus
A bit too much of the moss, but will grow back.

97f2b9ea3b13734aa080d356cb7d3fa3.jpg
11b4e64410440fda0fc0c04e552034f5.jpg
ed3ae9b469a273c5311d004b985dafa2.jpg
c24735561206c991e734d94581ade340.jpg
8ab97b353d6e6a677627fc1bcd623644.jpg
98296a79ff85e349b363c755e8c6b08f.jpg
04d1d72da996e747aecb9e067dbd5c71.jpg

I have decided on the final fish for this scape. Going to be Pearl Gourami again, Loved them the last time this was scaped. And Since I have created a slow area with lots of cover, think they will enjoy nesting in that area.

Also I eont be wasting any cutting from the swords etc. Tried feeding them to the shrimp, and they went nuts for them. Scrunch up the cut leaf to break it down. And then just chuck it in the shrimp tank. And they are all over them within minutes.

You know having an lfs that is as passionate about fish shrimp and plants is not good for the wallet.
Every time I go in, o end up buying more plants and fish and shrimp.
This week he has had blue velvet, carbon, jelly, shrimp in and are stunning quality. Will send be buying a lot once they go on sale.
And the plant geek was in heaven today. So many nice plants in from aquafleur. Had to buy some. Got a few pots of synchonium red and lobelia cardinalis wavy.
Excited to see how it grows.
Almost cleaned him out of the anubias coin. But left them as someone else wanted them.

And he had short body fighters in. But all sold.

Strange how things can change so much within the space of a few hours.
Have gone from 2 tanks to 5.
Was asked to take on a Giant PK betta who was in a sorry state being housed in a 0.5L penplax critter keeper. So put together a temp bowl with lots of plants and IAL to help him recover. lots of what look like tumors starting to push the scales :(:(. And snails for it to be occupied with. Have set it next to the Shrimp Pico. So it can view all the Shrimp.

Also added the pearl gourami, just bought all he had. and within minutes of being in a heavily planted tank. their colors are popping. have been sparring and spiralling for dominance. looks like i got mainly males and 1 female.

also added a flame for my lonely honey female. and he soon found the floating corale. so started courting her quickly. she was dancing happily for him. and barred up nicely.

Last edited:
Flame Male, has built a big nest. And I think there are Eggs in there. As He has been covering up the underside of the bubblenest with moss and duckweed. And keeping the area clean and tidy.
So funny to watch him looking for the right piece of plant, detaching it, cleaning it and then placing in the nest.

Last edited:
Chihiros doctor arrived just now. So easy to install and set, just selected the size tank from the dial and away it goes. Interested to see what this brings to the tank.
Can see this being of great excitment to my nephew and neice when they come over :lol:.

Last edited:
So something interesting that is happening with my Red Root Floaters. Not seen this before in all the years I have been keeping this type floating plant.
It has started sending out emergent runners above the water line, like a hydrocotyle would do. And I am liking it, looks very interesting indeed.

So feeling a little human today after a 6-day migraine.
So decided to do some long overdue maintenance on this.
Got the Trickle shower filter out. And cleaned it up.

Only used 4 Trays this time(this comes with 9). So that it left me with access to the trough. And Have planted this with the Hydrocotyle Types I have, And I like it.
Used the 1200LPH Internal Filter and hooked that to it (could not find the powerhead for it), and gives a decent flow along the spraybar.
Used the Jap Mat Coarse and Medium for the top tray. Bottom Tray Bio Gravel and Medium Jap Mat.

Need to get some more stem plants for this, or might rescape it. Just not decided, depends on what inpires me over the next few days.

Also put a herb in the trough to see how they fare, starting with a rather limp Coriander from asda. hoping all the nutrients will give it a kick.

Back