• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Seachem Excel

Green Aqua use Seachem Excel (different results than with similar products) daily (but I suspect more for its algecide properties)

There is a fantastic tank (journal) hiding somewhere on ukaps where Seachem Excel was the only added carbon (but damned if I can find it again :banghead: )

Daily use is helpful for plant growth. Just don't overdose.

Remember plants do get used to it so they do potentially miss it when you stop.

I've never had riccia flourish in my tanks... ;)

I used to dose daily double and 5X after water change for months before I had CO2. The algae suppression claim is real, as I observed died back of BBA, but the liquid carbon claim is uncertain as I couldn't tell or have seen proof that it is actually happening. Now that I have CO2, I no longer dose Excel daily but still does 5x after weekly water change to suppress algae. The carbon claim by Seachem is theoretical based on similarity of the 5-carbon structure of Glutaldehyde and intermediate photosythetic compounds. If excessive algae can suffocate plant growth, then cleansing plants of algae will restore growth, but it is not equivalent to improving growth with liquid carbon.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! @alto when I found out Green Aqua used it (mentioned in one of there videos) I was intrigued. I also read @Zeus. mentioned in a thread that he went there and the tanks looked gorgeous.

On the contrary, Jurijs (as mentioned in that same GA video) claims it is poison and would never use it.

Does ADA use an algaecide?

@tiger15, I started to think that the claims for plant growth was actually because it kills all algae and like you mention removes any chance of suffocating plants.

@rebel I was at a higher dose and have slowly dialed it back now.

I was in this line of purist thought, then I caved and added purigen because I just wanted to minimize maintenance. Then I had a good handle on the growth and minimal algae but wanted to reduce more maintenance so I started dosing excel.

Josh

I don't doubt its carbon source, vodka, vinegar, and even sugar are all carbon supplements dosed into reef tanks

Back