• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Searching for new tank - Sump vs canister

ilaizm

Seedling
Hi,

Im in the process of buying a new 150cm long tank. My previous one was also that size, it was custom built with a sump which I was very happy with.

Not sure whether to go down the sump route again for the new one or whether to use a canister filter. I like how everything is more accessible in the sump for maintenance and that you can hide all the equipment in it. However, I won't be going custom this time round and most ready made freshwater tanks don't come with an overflow for a sump. Apart from that, most planted aquascapes i researched seem to be set up with a canister.

So I either forget the sump and go with a canister, or else buy a marine tank such as the redsea or the eaReefPro and use it for freshwater.

Thoughts?

Definitely not fit an overflow box. Too risky.

Yes, a thermo canister filter with built-in heater is an option I'm considering.

Any particular reason why most planted tanks go for canisters instead of sumps?

Depends on what you want.
Using CO2 makes using a sump harder
Having a sump will let you increase fishstock and if you can fit a wet/dry filter increase O2 in the filter thus increasing the total health of the system, more stability, less chances of problems.
Most "scapes" are light on fishes compared to the plantmass and thus function fine. If you wan't more fish or less plants a sump helps.

Definitely not fit an overflow box. Too risky.

Yes, a thermo canister filter with built-in heater is an option I'm considering.

Any particular reason why most planted tanks go for canisters instead of sumps?
I use a sump on my main planted tank, lots of folk do as well although external power filters are by far the most popular.
All my sump tanks over the years have been drilled but I was under the impression that modern add on overflows are very safe?
There is a potential issue with C02 and sumps as there will be C02 gas’s off as the water goes down the overflow but that is only an issue if you don’t have a good cheap supply of gas.

I've got an old marine tank which I've converted to a freshwater planted tank. It has a build in standpipe and came with a sump that fitted the cabinet nicely. I don't think I would have bothered with a sump if I didn't already have the setup but it is a nice to have nonetheless! I guess probably the biggest bonus is that you can carry out water changes easily without having to lift water and without disturbing your display tank. But, it is a pain to dial in, and carries with it more risk of flooding/burning the pump out etc than just a canister filter.

Back