• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sedona - 20L (Liza's Tank - Update)

Re: Liza's 20L Nano Tank

i love that stone.
No 3 for me but with the extra stone on the left from No 2.
but i know nothing :lol: .

Thank you all! I like no. 1 too, so here's the deal:

adaberendezes4sm.jpg

(Stu, I have your 60cm as desktop background on my 24" - stunning!)

keymaker said:
(Stu, I have your 60cm as desktop background on my 24" - stunning!)

wow! cheers keymaker :D

Should have an update on that one soon. its had a big chop as it was getting too overgrown causing a lack of flow

Those are some really nice rocks. My only comment is on the smallest 2 rocks, one in the front middle and one on the left. They're too small. They look good now, but once the plants have grown in, they will be totally covered. Even a HC carpet will cover it unless you meticulously trim trim trim all the time and keep it thin.

Carrying fish from another country in a thermos, now that is something :thumbup:

flygja said:
(...)the smallest 2 rocks, one in the front middle and one on the left. They're too small. They look good now, but once the plants have grown in, they will be totally covered. Even a HC carpet will cover it unless you meticulously trim trim trim all the time and keep it thin.
Exactly! I was actually thinking of replacing them with slightly bigger ones as the FG fills in. I only used these particular pebbles to accentuate those points in the empty scape. I have about 30 kg of Hanko stones available for this 3-4 kg. scape. ;)

Great rocks, exceptionally good. Nice work on the hardscape so far. I will be interested to see it planted/finished. One to watch for sure.

Cheers guys, thanks!

Here's the deal with Hanko stones: I just got into my car and drove about 10 hours (no, actually 12-13 hours, two days) east to the Carphatians in Romania. I spent 8 days there to visit some really remote locations recommended by some exceptionally dedicated local geologists. I was looking for some stones that would be volcanic but also rugged and interesting shape - which is a very rare thing.

Problem is that nature (wind and water) forms the most interesting shapes out of loose-structured rock. Like chalk. This is mostly unusable for our purposes for it hardens the water too much. Even Seiryu stones are chalky - just not that much.

The other problem is that most volcanic rocks just erode to dull shapes. Not the Hanko stones though. They have some narrow chalky veins that were mostly washed away in time and that gives a most interesting look. Believe me - it's very rare. I was extremely lucky to find them in the distant forests of Romania - far away from civilization.

keymaker said:
Just got back from Stockholm... I could not resist to some beautiful Rasbora Maculatus (best I've seen so far -- ever) and brought them home in a thermos on the plane.
SuperColey1 said:
I was thinking that...flask...non sealed container....you terrorist you. lol

So I took some 50 kg-s back in my car - hoping customs will not consider it "theft of national resources" or something. My second fishkeeping-related "crime" in a year - where does that take me? Backsliding? :D

I plan to get the permits and start selling them later in our webshop. Difficulty is that the location (I can only find it with GPS) is really far away even from the nearest dirt-roads. Plus I have to carefully hand-pick these from a larger area - covering several hills. So it's gonna take some time, money and sherpas to get it - but it'll happen eventually and will be available for anybody who is inspired by the Hanko style. :)

Here's the the huge 33 kg and 45 cm high stone that I've been carrying and dragging down sweating for ages. You can see the actual color when wet. It's gonna go into my future 180 cm optiwhite tank. If I live to see it :).

hanko_ko_00_0.jpg

OK, so I've never ever dedicated so much thought and DIY skills-practice to any tank component as to aeration lately.

Looks like I'm stuck here:

There is no technology in the tank except the glass in- and outflow. This obviously means I have to introduce air through the external filter hosing. Let me tell you what my problems are:

1. Air pumps are too noisy. I tried Tetra, Ferplast, Schego (on timer at night). The later is the best of all, but still too noisy for my daughter sleeping right next to the tank. An 50 lph Ferplast would be ok soundwise, but the filter pressure is too strong for this size of an airpump and no bubbles enter through the Tee on the filter hose.
2. The AquaMedic 12/16 and 4/6 Tee is garbage. The 4/6 end is made of soft plastic, I already broke 2 Tees in the process of dealing with hose changes - so I gave this up. Plus it produces bigger bubbles that make too much noise when entering into the tank and coming to the surface.
3. Tried a normal 12/16 Tee with an airstone glued to one end - same result: bubbles too big - too much noise.
4. I tried many products and there is no way to use an air-pump with a CO2 diffuser (internal or external of any kind) to produce smaller bubbles. They are obviously designed for bigger pressures.

Silence is the most important issue here.
Any ideas? Any products you recommend (like an external O2 reactor)?

Back