• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sedona - 20L (Liza's Tank - Update)

Re: Liza's 20L Nano Tank

wow liza i love it,every time i see all these great nanos on here i cant make up my mind what to in mine,
superb,john.

There are no silence air pumps, only some of them make less noise than others.

The only thing you can do is take a box, fill this completely with 1 or 2 mm gravel and bury your air pump in the gravel. You will see the noise is almost gone.

Maurits

JamesM said:
I think people are still drooling over that stone, I know I am :D
That's exactly what I am doing too... ;) It's just that making a 180 cm tank called "without compromises" for it, well, thats an expensive venture. My plans: bottom drilled opti-white 180x60x60 tank with 3x Eheim 2080, ADA light, AS Amazonia, auto fert dosing, CO2, etc. About EUR 3600 if I do everything as I planned. :( Don't tell my wife. :)

SteveUK said:
What are you trying to do with the air pumps/equipment?
Simple: nighttime aeration. On timer, through the external filter hosing. The quiet and professional solution is not easy though.

john starkey said:
wow liza i love it,every time i see all these great nanos on here i cant make up my mind what to in mine
Thanks John (Liza is my daugter... ;) - we've been talking about this here, that there are some - like me - who only look at the pictures. :lol:

Maurits said:
(...)take a box, fill this completely with 1 or 2 mm gravel and bury your air pump in the gravel.
Thanks for the idea Mate, I will try it!

Now there's only one question: how to "mist" the air into the filter hose? Big bubbles = too much noise in the tank.

JamesM said:
Boyu Diffuser?
I have something similar. Not even a bigger 500 lph airpump is strong enough to push the air through it.

Yes, I have been considering moving the pump to another room if the gravel solution is not effective, but the main issue is noise from bubble size here.

ah yes, sorry. I've seen people using cigarette filters on co2 setups, but again, air might struggle to get through...Got me thinking now...

JamesM said:
You guys are the premier ADA dealers, so what about using a fancy ADA Air Diffuser?
Not even ADA have a solution for everything. :) They have internal air diffusers.

I want external... No tech in the tank except glass in- and outflow.

Well the simplest method would be to use something like this: http://www.petstore.com/Aqua_Medic_Redu ... AC-vi.html

And place something like the cigarette filter, cotton or fine mesh in the airline... I'm surprised there aren't any inline air diffusers out there actually :crazy:

Something like a mini compressor for tattooing or airbrushing could also work for the pump, but the silent ones cost a fortune afaik.

JamesM said:
Well the simplest method would be to use something like this: http://www.petstore.com/Aqua_Medic_Redu ... AC-vi.html
That's the exact garbage material that I broke two times when messing with the hoses. Plus for some reason the regular 16/22 hose just keeps leaking on both ends. I had to glue the hose to it and fasten it with plastic "whats-the-english-expression-for-it". Here's what I did:

img0096fk.jpg

Garbage. Aqua Medic Tee = never again. ;)

JamesM said:
I'm surprised there aren't any inline air diffusers out there actually :crazy:
Yeppp, surprising indeed. But if we count that cheaper but good quality plastic in-line CO2 diffusers only appeared about a year ago to offer alternative to the easily broken Cal Aqua glass ones - then we must really hit the alarms to lobby for in-line airing solutions!

JamesM said:
Something like a mini compressor for tattooing or airbrushing could also work for the pump, but the silent ones cost a fortune afaik.
Never thought of that one, money is never issue with me so I'll check to see if I can find good and silent ones. Would be simple and convenient to put a Tee on the CO2 hose and introduce air into the CO2 diffuser with a check-valve at night. Thanks for the tip. :idea:

Nick, can you use that CO2 diffuser externally? Is your airpump strong enough to push the air through it? Most diffusers need stronger pressure than what an airpump produces.

UPDATE:

I started a new tank on th 29th of Dec 2009. It looked like this after one month:

sedonagarden03day9b.jpg

sedonagarden07day9.jpg

The tank as of today (3 months):

X07 and X08 - img temporarily removed

GEAR:
- ADA Cube Garden Mini M tank - 20 liters.
- ADA Solar Mini M light 5,11 WPG. On timer 16:00-23:00-ig (7 hours).
- ADA Aqua Soil Africana substrate - 2*3 liters.
- Tropica plant substrate - approx. 1 liter.
- ADA Bacter Balls in the substrate.
- ADA Dragon - Ohko stones - 3 (approx. 5-6 kg.)
- Cal Aqua Nano glass filter in- and outlet.
- ADA transparent thermometer for 5mm glass
- Eheim Professionel 2222 external filter - 500 lph. 25x.
- Transparent filter tubing
- Eheim Substrat Pro biological filter media, 1 liter.
- ADA Bio Rio biological filter media, 0.6 liter.
- ADA NA Carbon activated carbon filter media, approx. 0,4 liter
- Hydor ETH 200W external heater (12/16 tubing), on 26 degrees.
- Pressurized CO2 bottle - 2 kgs.
- Papillon check valve.
- Aqua Medic solenoid valve on timer. CO2 on daily from 07:00 to 22:45.
- GreenWorks CO2 check valve.
- Green Aqua bubble counter - blue. 60 bpm.
- ADA and Dennerle drop checkers.
- Green Aqua CO2 indicator solution Lime-green.
- GreenWorks transparent CO2 tubing.
- External CO2 diffuser on the filter return pipe. Cheap and efficient stuff.
- Schego Prima airpump on filter hose tee.

FISH / INVERTS:
- 3 Otocinclus Affinis
- 7 Iriatherina Werneri
- 9 Red Cherry Shrimp

kalaszhal.jpg

Plants:
- Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis
- Hydrocotyle verticillata
- Hemianthus Callitrichoides
- Glossostigma Elitanoides
- Echinodorus Tenellus
- Anubias Barteri var. Nana
- Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'
- Vesicularia dubyana "Christmas" moss

DOSING / MAINTENANCE:
- Water change with Easy Life FFM, 50% weekly.
- 2 drops of ADA Green Bacter after WC.
- Daily 1 ml. Easy Carbo
- Daily 1 ml Green Aqua Macro and Micro
- Daily 10-12 drops of KH2PO4 solution
- Daily 4 drops of ADA ECA - testing.
- Daily 4 drops of ADA Phyton Git - testing.

Photos:
Canon EOS 450D with Canon EFS IS 17-55, 2.8 lens. ;)

More images, links, etc. in my Hungarian Aquascapers' Forum journal.

that looks fantastic.also love Iriatherina Werneri.
did you ever plant the Hanko stone tank.never saw any pictures.

Back