• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

see through java fern leaves

hellohefalump

The tips of my java fern are see through. It's only affecting the new growth. What could be causing this? It's been going on some time now. My tank is 100gals I'm running pressurised CO2 at 30ppm (I have drop checkers at both ends of the tank and I'm running off two canisters one at both ends), I have good circulation (2 filters and a powerhead), and 216watts of T5 light.

I'm dosing PPS pro method, except I'm adding extra of both solutions. I'm meant to be adding 10mls of each macro and micro daily. But I'm adding 15-20mls of macro and 15mls of micro daily. I'm thinking of changing to EI actually, but I'm using up the solutions I've already made.

I have tested for nitrates and my readings are high - about 40. My phosphates are high too - 4. My iron levels are 'good for plants' according to my sera test.

Apart from this my java fern seems healthy. It's still producing plantlets (but the plantlets have see through tips)

They are normally see through - kind of dark, yet see through on the last cm. If that's what you've got, then nothing to worry about - it's just how they grow. If that doesn't sound like yours, then a picture might help people diagnose for you.

Mark

^brilliant! That sounds like what's happening to me. I must say, it was fine before I went high tech, but very slow growing. I've had it for years and it's massive. This only started when I added CO2, more light and ferts. Hopefully it's just growing! It's growing leaves from the rhizome as well as plantlets on the leaves, so I think it's fine.

Translucent tips on ferns is a CO2 issue, but it's very difficult to solve. As you yourself witnessed, under low lighting and low growth demand this doesn't occur. Most just accept it unless there are other CO2 deficient symptoms observed in the tank.

Cheers,

I wonder if it is a CO2 issue? Because the fern is right next to the diffuser! And both drop checkers are light green with 4dkh solution. If I add any more the fish suffer (I've done this by accident so I know they do - I killed a couple by mistake, not doing that again).

You say if it's a CO2 issue it's difficult to solve - why is this? Is it not a matter of cranking up the CO2? Or is the issue that cranking up the CO2 would kill the fish and java ferns like more CO2 than fish do?

Hi,
Yes that's why it's a difficult issue. The CO2 level required to solve it basically nukes the fish.... :(

Cheers,

ah that's a shame. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to live with see through leaf tips then. Rather that than kill the fish.

Thanks for replying everyone.

Back