• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Semi aquatic plants.

Jaseon

Hello bit of a noob here. Just built my first tank with a waterfall. looking for small plant ideas that will fit especially ones that don't mind the roots in wet soil.

Attachments

• IMG_20210110_170105246.jpg
    IMG_20210110_170105246.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,853
Neat setup by the way! There are more knowledgeable people on here when it comes to semi aquatic plants and I’m sure they will chime in with more ideas.

Apart from a few fine leafed stems virtually any common aquarium plant with thrive with its roots in water and the foliage exposed to air, however there must be high humidity surround the plants.
If you want to search for examples then look for ‘dry start method’

Last edited:
Apart from a few fine leafed stems virtually any common aquarium plant with thrive with its roots in water and the foliage exposed to air, however there must be high humidity surround the plants.
If you want to search for examples then look for ‘dry start method’
Theres a small area of soil that is continually wet from the waterfall so hoping to find something that dont mind those conditions. Ive come across the dry start method before or at least heard it mentioned so will become more familiar with it. Thanks.
Ficus pumila is one of the nicest small leaf plants that does well in this type of setup. You can get a oak leafed cultivar as well.
Ah right the creeping fig...i fancy having that thanks.

Heres the small area i want to fill thats contently wet. Ill just have to try a few and see how it goes. Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_20210111_145952780.jpg
    IMG_20210111_145952780.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 288
You can use Syngoniums, Dracaenas, Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum spp), various Pennyworts, Malayan Sword (Aglaonema simplex), Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia), Creeping Charlie (Micromeria brownei), Bolbitis heteroclita etc etc. These ones don't even require high humidity.

As mentioned, most aquatic stem plants will grow in waterlogged soil without issue as long as high humidity is maintained. You can grow various hygrophilas, ludwigias and rotalas in such a setup. All sorts of echinodorus and cryptocoryne varieties will also grow in wet soil, provided you maintain humidity levels of around 90%. Various mosses will also grow fine in wet soil, including Java moss. The emersed form of Java moss looks very pretty tbh.

You can even grow pothos (money plant) in the area you have indicated in your pictures. It grows amazingly well in wet soil/standing water, even under low lighting.

I think with the top and front being open, the lower humidity options might be best. I've not tried Fittonia albivenis (although it is on my list of plants to get) but it is often used in the conditions you have and comes in a wide variety of colours.

I focused on the small plant thing but have used lots of the plants mentioned above with good success. Another small plant that could be worth trying is "mind your own business" Soleirolia soleirolii. I've seen this used in wabi kusa before and if you control it its a nice looking small easy plant.

Thats one hell of a setup. Looks magnificent, like a professional scape people pay good money for. Amazingly healthy plants....
Thanks... it all became to much maintenance in the end, I tried reducing the light, and some plants did not like that however is was the ‘baby tears’ that killed off most of the specimen plants as it became so rampant it smothered everything else.

Last edited:
You can use Syngoniums, Dracaenas, Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum spp), various Pennyworts, Malayan Sword (Aglaonema simplex), Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia), Creeping Charlie (Micromeria brownei), Bolbitis heteroclita etc etc. These ones don't even require high humidity.

As mentioned, most aquatic stem plants will grow in waterlogged soil without issue as long as high humidity is maintained. You can grow various hygrophilas, ludwigias and rotalas in such a setup. All sorts of echinodorus and cryptocoryne varieties will also grow in wet soil, provided you maintain humidity levels of around 90%. Various mosses will also grow fine in wet soil, including Java moss. The emersed form of Java moss looks very pretty tbh.

You can even grow pothos (money plant) in the area you have indicated in your pictures. It grows amazingly well in wet soil/standing water, even under low lighting.

My set up is open so i wont be able to maintain any sort of humidity. Ive only just started with paladariums so its trial and error so far. I have an external filter set up so more looking to how i can incorporate that ie hiding it behind the land areas. Heres my small tank. As a first attempt im really happy with it. Was suprised how much effort it takes even with a small set up. I just added a harts tounge fern. They can grow quite big so will have to remove it later on.
NEW.jpg
IMG_20210112_154220414.jpg

I really like that. If you aren't aware there is a guy on youtube called serpa design that has made lots of these paludariums. His videos would be a good source of the plants that do well in such setup and the rabbit foot fern is one he uses alot and one I think would look great with what you already have. A couple of nice threads on here can be seen in @hitmanx The Celestial Swamp - A voyage through a flooded forest fringe (Shallow Riparium) Serenity now - A Blackwater riparium just to give you some inspiration if you want to go bigger.

I really like that. If you aren't aware there is a guy on youtube called serpa design that has made lots of these paludariums. His videos would be a good source of the plants that do well in such setup and the rabbit foot fern is one he uses alot and one I think would look great with what you already have. A couple of nice threads on here can be seen in @hitmanx The Celestial Swamp - A voyage through a flooded forest fringe (Shallow Riparium) Serenity now - A Blackwater riparium just to give you some inspiration if you want to go bigger.
Im subbed to Serpas channel, and was watching one of his vids earlier. I go through them all on YT picking things up along the way. Once i settle in more on the forums ill go through others efforts for more ideas....cheers.

Back