• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sera spirolax how to clean?

alzak

Hi i get some second hand sera spirolax when i bought my set up from myboyshay and just do not know how to clean any biological media ?

I always used boiling water to clean off biological media and later wash it in water from tank

Anyone have some better tricks for media cleaning

How often You do this?

Thanks Albert

Hi alzak

Never wash biological media with boiling water, as you killing all bacteria that way and media is no longer biological.
Just take some water from tank to bucket and rinse your media there. Do not use water from the tap, as higher concentration of chlorine also often can damage bacterial colonies.

I clean mechanical media (sponges) every 3-4 weeks, and biological media every 6 weeks, as I have eheim substrate which is in form of balls, and is not cloging easily.

Hi Spider

Yeah I know that using a boiling water It will kill all bacteria but I just want to make sure that I remove all bad things from it as i do not know what was in a previous tank

I do not always do this as if I wash my media which i use all time I do exactly as You say problem is just with second hand media and I never used a sera media

Second thing is I never wash all my media always some part of it

Ah, ok than :D . I have missed your point :D .
Yes for first time you can wash media with boiling water, but I think that just good wash with tap water should be enough.

Back