• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Serpae tetra experience

mort

Hi, I was asked today about serpae tetras by a friend and they wanted to know why they always seemed to have split fins. It turns out they only have 4 of them so it's easy to figure out the reason but does adding a decent sized group actually control the behaviour or will they constantly still have lumps out even when in a group? This is a species I've purposely avoided in all honesty and I never stocked it but do have a love for tiger barbs and in all honesty never ever had a problem with them.
So basically has anyone kept them long term in a good group and had pristine finnage from them? If they are ok then I might rehome these 4 and buy 8-10 more because I've longingly admired the shots I've seen of them in natural sunlight, which my tank has in abundance.

TIA

Hi, I was asked today about serpae tetras by a friend and they wanted to know why they always seemed to have split fins. It turns out they only have 4 of them so it's easy to figure out the reason but does adding a decent sized group actually control the behaviour or will they constantly still have lumps out even when in a group? This is a species I've purposely avoided in all honesty and I never stocked it but do have a love for tiger barbs and in all honesty never ever had a problem with them.
So basically has anyone kept them long term in a good group and had pristine finnage from them? If they are ok then I might rehome these 4 and buy 8-10 more because I've longingly admired the shots I've seen of them in natural sunlight, which my tank has in abundance.

TIA
I’ve never kept them but it’s usually a case of species being kept in too low numbers becoming nippy as you’ve found out with tiger barbs. To be fair all my male hyphessobrycon are on the boisterous side and will happily spar with each other over territory which often leads to split fins and missing scales. Tetras have surprisingly big teeth!

Apparently another issue is that they’re kept too warm. They’re found in southern Brazil into northern Argentina and can be found in rather cool streams. By all accounts they’re fine in a unheated tanks. I think there’s a below water video about them in the wild that explains this all fully.

Cheers

I know l have seen them in a fish house with Discus a large group with a few Discus temperature around 80s 29c at least and the place was well insulated. Never did ask l will when l next see owner . But everything seemed placid.
No obvious issue with them although must have have a pecking order. Think it could be a numbers thing . Maybe 10 or so not large enough for them

I've kept them long term and never had any problems. However, I've always kept them in large groups. I recommend at least 10, preferably more. But then I'd never recommend keeping tetras or any other social or schooling fish in groups of less than 10 for obvious reasons. As for temp I've always kept my tanks at around 22-23 degrees C. AG have at least one scape with a large group of Serpae tetras, they are a wonderful sight to see.

Thanks everyone. It's much as I thought and I'm not sure I want the future aggro in the years to come of keeping the numbers up after they start to naturally deplenish. That's the only reason I haven't just gone with tiger barbs tbh as I have a real fondness for them from passed experience.
I've just lost my mojo a bit, was offered these and it got me thinking. I'm at the stage where I'm not fussed what the species is but would just like something to fill the space so the tank isn't bare.

Thanks everyone. It's much as I thought and I'm not sure I want the future aggro in the years to come of keeping the numbers up after they start to naturally deplenish. That's the only reason I haven't just gone with tiger barbs tbh as I have a real fondness for them from passed experience.
I've just lost my mojo a bit, was offered these and it got me thinking. I'm at the stage where I'm not fussed what the species is but would just like something to fill the space so the tank isn't bare.
Just go with red phantoms or something similar, there are bundles of tetra species available now on the market with new species being imported all the time.

I can’t remember who’s journal it is, it may be @Wolf6
They have red phantoms that look stunning.

Cheers

I've never seen red phantoms for sale around this way sInce i used to stock them. I know they are a common species, plus I haven't been to a lfs since 2019, but they just don't seem popular in the area now for some reason. They have certainly been a species I've been contemplating as well as about a dozen others. If I make it to a lfs then it will be fun to see what I come back with .
The serpaes were just because I was offered them really and I was just wondering how much was reputation versus actual experience. Chewed up terrorisers just don't appeal, I'd rather something gentler.

There are many serpae look alike tetra, but their temperament is far from alike. I have kept diamond, bleeding heart, rosy, HY511 (candy cane) , and serpae. The smaller Serpae, rosy and HY511 tetra are among the the more aggressive tetra. They stake out territory and attack one another constantly. The larger diamond and bleeding heart, surprisingly, are more peaceful and shoal together.

Back