• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

set up an Aqua 11 60?

Angela

Seedling
Hi All,
We bought a secondhand Aquael 11 60 recently as it will take up less room than our present, long tank.We are happy about the way to clean and eventually transfer our fish - but the tank came without light, filter and heater. We are wondering if we can use the motor and filter from our present tank and just buy sponges and a light for the 'new' tank. Our present one is 20l larger (but does not have the full quota of fish.)
Any help and advice would be very welcome. Thanks
Angela

Hi Angela,
And welcome, we have lots of useful people on here to help. I don't know your new tank you have or your old one, but moving filters, heaters, usually is not a problem. Lighting can be a problem, especially if going down a size, the old fitting might just be too BIG! Do you need lights to just watch the fish or to grow plants too?? does it have a cover? if your not really into growing plants well, then a cheap LED unit might be OK, these usually clip! on the tank glass or frame. I've done a couple of home-made LED jobs for small tanks, with plants, but the plants just exsist, don't grow much. If your other half? can use a soldering iron, then your in with a chance (Sorry not being sexist, perhaps your OK soldering!) I can offer more details if you like....

Mel.

Hi, and thank you.
At the moment we will be setting up the tank with just gravel and bought plants -but hope to do more later. We are still fairly new to fish as we were originally given an 80l tank with 2 gouramis, which have since died. We have restocked and considering we took the tank as a favour, it's getting quite expensive -hence the hope to re=use some of our equipment on the upright tank.We will definitely need a smaller light tube. The first job is to clean and neutralise it so I'll get on with that and try to re-use what I can first, Many thanks
Angela

Sorry Angela, here's a couple of photos of my simple LED lights, both run on a 12V 1A+ mains adaptor.

Mel.
Leds60L-1.jpg
Leds-3.jpg
Leds-4.jpg

Back