• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Setting up a tank for my 6 year old - lots to learn

CorrinaT

Seedling
Hi, I'm currently setting up a first fish tank for my 6 year old and learning lots myself! Now I'm slightly obsessed by Aquascaping tanks on Instagram & Youtube. I think its going to be a nice hobby we can do together, she seems to like Guppies so we will start there, and I like the planting! So far we have picked up a secondhand 35ish litre tank/filter and waiting for a few bits to arrive tomorrow to get us started. Based near Bath

An interesting article

https://www.aqualog.de/en/blog-en/what-is-the-right-way-to-keep-guppy-platy-co/

Note that 35litres is quite a small tank, and water volume is somewhat less as substrate and plants and treasure chests and jewels occupy space ... I’d suggest beginning with all fancy tails (boys only ;) )

Thanks for the link, I will take a look later. Yes we will go for males and I am conscious of the additional stuff taking up space, hoping sneak in a bigger tank at a later date! Unfortunately were probably more likely to be rainbows and mermaids :( trying to steer away from bright kids ornaments is going to be one of the challenges...

Unfortunately were probably more likely to be rainbows and mermaids
I did resist the crazy treasure chest with the open/close lid and after explaining it needed an air pump to do that it seems to lose its magic - a still chest with nicer jewels and some special juwels that could be sprinkled and moved about and a small mermaid + loads of plants won the day
And I could only advise on fish :)

After ~18month, it was requested that maybe more plants would be nice and the brightly coloured ornaments went on the bookshelf instead (though the mermaid did still visit now and again)
(and this was not MY request :cool:)

https://tropica.com/en/guide/happy-home-by-tropica/

(unfortunately some of my favourite kid themed tanks were shamed into vanishing :(
I loved the alien jelly fish one :happy: )

What are the dimensions of your tank?

As long as you don’t overstock and follow regular maintenance (especially water changes) I don’t really see that small tanks are more difficult than larger tanks

What are the dimensions of your tank?

It’s 39x28 x32
I won’t be putting many fish in there, and intend to keep on top of the maintenance.

Thanks for the link to those Scenes I like the diver/wreck!

Assuming tank is 39 x 28 x 32 high, that’s limited swimming space so be thoughtful in your fish choice, eg, most tetras would prefer a 60cm swimming length - look for less active fish that remain quite small

Guppy males (look for strains that are smaller) BUT guppies often have quite short lifespans (so be prepared for this)
Guppy x Endler would be my preference - these are still very colourful but remain petite (usually less full finnage than pure linebred guppy strains)
Endler - while some of these can be very colourful, especially Endler x Guppy (they have fewer guppy genes than the above crosss), your kiddo may be less impressed

Given the tank size, I’d definitely avoid adding any females unless you’ve another tank ready for the multiples

Shrimp are definitely a lot of fun and much more visible if no fish are in the tank

If you add some guppy (or endler) they will likely take some of the shrimp babies, as long as they pay little attention to the older shrimp, their addition won’t impact shrimp visibility too much
(Guppy/Endler females will definitely show shrimp more attention than they’d prefer)

Back