• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Setting up a tank for my 6 year old - lots to learn

Thanks alto and rebel, some really helpful advice. I don’t make quick decisions... It will probably be Christmas before any fish hit the tank 😂
Definitely no females!

Last edited:
Hi all,
Based near Bath
Bristol: If you want to have a look at the fish, you could try the Maidenhead Aquatics (MA) at Brislington (just past the Hick's Gate roundabout). There is the Aquatic Store in Bedminster, but that isn't easy to get to, and Parker's at Iron Acton, but I haven't been in there for a long time.

I don't think there is anywhere in Bath now, other than Pets @Home(on the Lower Bristol Rd), "Bath Aquatics" went to Radstock, but I think they've shut. East of Bath there is another MA at Leekes in Melksham and a Pets@Home at Bumpers Farm in Chippenham. The little pet shop "Pet Care" on St. Paul's St. in Chippenham is very small, but the fish are very well kept there.

Further afield there are "Acres Aquatics" at Corsley Heath, "Old Forge Tropicals" in Devizes. I'm not a Pets@Home fan, and the MA are expensive, but the other should all be all right.

cheers Darrel

Further afield there are "Acres Aquatics" at Corsley Heath, "Old Forge Tropicals" in Devizes.

Thanks Darrel, great list - I had forgotten about Devizes and Chippenham, I'm east side of Bath so have already visited MA in Leekes and Whitehall, probably less likely to head towards Bristol unless we are passing. Will check out Acres Aquatics as thats not far.

Hi all,
Will check out Acres Aquatics as thats not far.
That is where I got the <"Copella and Pygmy Corydoras"> from. "Sam" is the guy who knows all about the fish.

I'm not sure what is in Trowbridge, there was a place downstairs in the market. They had some fish from me, but I've never been back to cash in my credit note.
and Whitehall
".........I had the misfortune to visit a local large garden centre on Sunday (I won't name it, but it is located on the Corsham road, Lacock, Wilts.). The aquatic section was beyond horrible, I didn't get a photo, but the gravel in the tanks was entirely covered by a luminous carpet of cyanobacteria, there were dead fish in many of the tanks and the "aquatic" plant section prominently featured both Dracaena and Selaginella. It was packed with people.
I haven't been there <"since 2016"> (I live in Corsham).

I always have spare plants, snails etc., but I don't have anything very exciting.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I had the misfortune to visit a local large garden centre on Sunday......I always have spare plants, snails etc., but I don't have anything very exciting.

Oh no, thanks for the warning! I went last week to look for a replacement filter, but the shop & aquarium area was closed to public...

Thanks for the offer, you're not far from us! I haven't seen anything in Trowbridge market recently. Just Pets at Home in Trowbridge as far as I'm aware!

Welcome. Im new to the forum myself but not too guppies

Personally if your new to it i'd stick to males only in that tank size as others have already said. Try and steer away from some of the fancier varities these days they tend to be pretty fragile/inbred/overbred in foreign farms.

Finding a fishkeeper near you with excess fry would be better than a petshop unless you know of a good one near you (alot of fish shops these days stock fish from eastern european farms... inbred, disease ridden and fragile)

Aside from that guppies tend to be pretty bullet proof and ideal for a beginner

Plant wise dwarf sagitarria is pretty bullet proof and najas grass is good for the guppies to hide in... although it might quickly take over a tank that size

[QUOTE="NAJAS GUPPY, post: 609083, member: 20117"

Finding a fishkeeper near you with excess fry... [/QUOTE]

Thanks, and welcome too!
The lady I got the tank from has lots of fry so thinking of getting some from her. She has a lot of endlers and guppies!

I’ll look up those plants they sound perfect - I’ll add some scissors to the Christmas list! Looking forward to starting, just waiting of a few bits to arrive before I can set up and start the cycling process.

[QUOTE="NAJAS GUPPY, post: 609083, member: 20117"

Finding a fishkeeper near you with excess fry...

Thanks, and welcome too!
The lady I got the tank from has lots of fry so thinking of getting some from her. She has a lot of endlers and guppies!

I’ll look up those plants they sound perfect - I’ll add some scissors to the Christmas list! Looking forward to starting, just waiting of a few bits to arrive before I can set up and start the cycling process.
[/QUOTE]

Their not the prettiest of plants (although personally like the grass like look of dwarf sag) but they are hardy.

Floating plants are another good choice for guppies. Red root floaters, azolla, amazon frogbit.

Guppies aren't the shyest of fish but do like some cover once their done displaying to each other.

Getting the guppies from the lady you got the tank sounds like a great idea :) bet she'd do you a good price aswell

Welcome. Think it's best to them choose their own ornaments for now. Came back from Pets at Home with many a air stone type mermaid or treasure chest with the granddaughter. You can then get another tank set up natural We started off with Platys in her tank great for kids as they fascinate checking on the young fry:)

Back