• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Setting up new scape

I feel like there are too many stones trying to be dominant. There should only ever be one dominant stone, all others should be used to accentuate this dominance within the scale. I tend to find the larger dominant stone placed in the main two thirds area and nearer the front, the second largest placed in the 1 third area and then the next smaller 1 placed towards the rear of the two thirds area. This gave an increased sense of scale and the stones should be titled to naturally bring your eye to the vanishing point. I would start from this ideal point then introduce your woodwork, which needs to become a part of the scape and not just ints own entity. At the minute it feels like it has just been placed and not really part of this scape. Personally I would have that substrate much higher (maybe as much as half the tank height more likely closer to a third) use the stone to accentuate that the rock is a large immovable force not simply a stone that can be picked up with one hand! Once you have the five strong pieces in place you should be able to see how your planting will look and you can then introduce smaller pieces if needed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Okay so as promised I started over and this was the end result of the first attempt:

IMG_20200112_130520.jpg
IMG_20200112_130451.jpg
IMG_20200112_130457.jpg
IMG_20200112_130501.jpg
IMG_20200112_130508.jpg

Additionally I'm going to create a more traditional centralised island-style scape with the same materials, just to be sure that I'm not making things too hard on myself by trying these more complex mountain type scapes. Looking forward to your comments again guys and gals!

Quick phone upload as I scaped and filled the tank today. It'll be running dark for a few weeks to get everything up and running. Right before planting I'm gonna add some more detail materials like pebbles and roots. I have room to raise the substrate levels in the back some more but first wanted to make sure that the soil doesn't slide to much.

Next up : which plants!?
b730c309cfc70a794c0302e07e88477f.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Where did you get this pieces of wood? They look amazing, I want them in my aquarium! I think that your aqua looks pretty cool. If, as someone above said, you will add this 'carpet' it will be lovely. What kind of fishes are you going to keep there?

The wood came from an aquarium shop. I think it was sold as octopus wood, by superfish if I recall correctly. It's actually a lot of different pieces glued together to make one, they had quite some laying around actually. Not cheap though, total price was about 75 euro, guess you pay extra for the gluing work.

Plant wise I'm not sure yet. Carpet is an idea but Im also considering more jungle style with somewhat larger grasses. Need some time to think that through. Not going to plant for at least another 2.5 weeks anyway.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Back