• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Severe cyanobacteria outbreak.

Once BGA is in the substrate I don't think you can get rid of it?

A good point. It can be very persistent. I had it in a tank and tried a long term approach, I just left it to run its course and it fizzled out (took several months). The tank then recovered without any strip down and the plants regrew. It did look a mess in the intervening months.

Last edited by a moderator:
all H2O2 is the same
Yes, it is just available in different strengths. i.e. 1 ml of 12% plus 1 ml of water gives two mls at 6%. (12% is often available on eBay and I suspect my 11% was in fact 12% but there are nit pickers everywhere.

Good luck and have patience, you will get there in the end. Your tank looks good.

Yes, it is just available in different strengths. i.e. 1 ml of 12% plus 1 ml of water gives two mls at 6%. (12% is often available on eBay and I suspect my 11% was in fact 12% but there are nit pickers everywhere.

Good luck and have patience, you will get there in the end. Your tank looks good.
Thank you.

Hopefully get it under control, though I am not known for my patience lol

Hi @castle

If cyanobacteria (aka BGA) is present in the substrate, it is likely to be visible between the bottom of the glass panels and the substrate itself - particularly where the tank is exposed to external light, be that room lighting or daylight. Cyano needs light to photosynthesize and survive.

JPC

Cyanobacteria will not boil/produce O2 gas as it doesn't possess catalase, the enzyme that breaks down peroxide into water and oxygen.

Hi @Aquatic Plant Science

This paper would suggest otherwise, I think:

Happy reading!

JPC

doesn't possess catalase, the enzyme that breaks down peroxide into water and oxygen.
This paper would suggest otherwise, I think
Looking at similar papers on bga, the stuff contains bio-Mn compounds that will react with H2O2 but not that readily unless pre-treated with NaCl solution. However strong H2O2 is a strong oxidising agent and will damage cells. I remember using 35% in the lab. Skin burns if you got a drop on you. Just had to be careful. In those days gloves were only worn in the winter to keep your hands warm when waiting for the bus.

Thanks Rob.

I am trying to stay away from chemicals as much as I can, but may be an option if I can't shift it and before I tear the tank down.

I have added an airstone that runs at night and have been doing large 80-90% changes every other day, but this stuff seems to grow back in a matter of hours. :(
Yes, very understandable, and my initial intention too. I guess I have an earlier breaking point than you! It was a very similar situation, I'd remove it all by hand and within 24 hours it would be like I hadn't touched it. I didn't take the decision lightly, but I'm glad I did it.

I'd tried all the usual things first like increasing oxygen, increasing flow, increasing water changes, and I'd also tried a product from ADA which I have forgotten the name of which didn't touch it.

Rob

Yes, very understandable, and my initial intention too. I guess I have an earlier breaking point than you! It was a very similar situation, I'd remove it all by hand and within 24 hours it would be like I hadn't touched it. I didn't take the decision lightly, but I'm glad I did it.

I'd tried all the usual things first like increasing oxygen, increasing flow, increasing water changes, and I'd also tried a product from ADA which I have forgotten the name of which didn't touch it.

Rob
Thanks Rob.

It has not been as severe the last few days with aggressive aeration in the evening, but as there is no stock in the tank, if it continues chemicals may be a good option, to at least knock it back.

...if it continues chemicals may be a good option, to at least knock it back.

Hi @Nick potts

I think it's important to deal with this thing we have about 'chemicals'. What exactly do we mean by 'chemicals'? If I was to start talking about dihydrogen monoxide, would you use it in your tank? The fact is that you already are - it's water! And, what about humic acids, which are released by Catappa leaves, for example? And so on...and so on. Some 'chemicals' may have been produced in a laboratory but many are safe 'chemicals'. I mentioned Blue Exit whose active ingredient is salicylic acid. But, originally, this compound was extracted from the Willow tree. So, just because something comes out of a plastic bottle doesn't mean it's to be avoided. After all, we use fertilizers - dry or liquid - in our tanks without giving them a second thought.

Just my two penn'orth.

JPC

Hi @Nick potts

I think it's important to deal with this thing we have about 'chemicals'. What exactly do we mean by 'chemicals'? If I was to start talking about dihydrogen monoxide, would you use it in your tank? The fact is that you already are - it's water! And, what about humic acids, which are released by Catappa leaves, for example? And so on...and so on. Some 'chemicals' may have been produced in a laboratory but many are safe 'chemicals'. I mentioned Blue Exit whose active ingredient is salicylic acid. But, originally, this compound was extracted from the Willow tree. So, just because something comes out of a plastic bottle doesn't mean it's to be avoided. After all, we use fertilizers - dry or liquid - in our tanks without giving them a second thought.

Just my two penn'orth.

JPC
Good points JPC.

I am not against chemical use, far from it, as you say we add ferts etc to our water daily.

But saying that some chemicals are better than others in aquariums, I know that a lot of the cyanobacteria killing products contain antibacterial agents etc and not something to be dosed without thinking over first

I know that a lot of the cyanobacteria killing products contain antibacterial agents etc and not something to be dosed without thinking over first
Hi @Nick potts

You are correct in saying that some of the cyanobacteria treatments contain dodgy chemicals. Some contain antibiotics whose use in the UK is illegal without a vet's prescription. Yet, they seem to get on the UK market. Salicylic acid is classed as a bactericide, according to Wikipedia. For more information, take a look at :

JPC

Back