• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sex of my fishes

parts-of-a-guppy-n.jpg

It looks like the bottom two are males and the one above is a female.
Males are usually more colourful and ornate and have a modified anal fin called a gonopodium...

guppy_anatomy_v_1401705079.jpg

As Tim says, look at the anal fin, goes for about all livebearers in the hobby, molly, platy, guppy, endler.. :) If its round its a girl, if it looks like what we have a wiener than its a boy..

I can't see the fish on the 4th picture but all first 3 pictures show males from what I can see.

A female guppy has a "gravid spot" around the anal area where it poops :) Depending on the original coloration of the fish, it is mostly black but in some fish it is reddish, especially in females with light body coloration. It is visible in females as young as 2-3 weeks, before any proper fin development. That's how I used to separate male from female fry and I don't think I ever made a mistake.

Agree the two blue and red/yellow are definitely males and the black one at the bottom looks male but really need a non head on pic to tell.

Back