• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Share your homemade tools and hardware designs

I use Tropica soil powder and fine sand. Using a gravel cleaner can cause all sorts of issues. So I came up with this.
IMG_0682.JPG
Gravel fork and spade in one.
Made from extruded acrylic sheet and a fret saw.

Fork end:
Very good at just disturbing the detritus, which the gravel cleaner can then suck up without a load of gravel.
Also good at smoothing over the gravel after you have made a big hole when planting.
Spade end:
I have had trouble planting with tweezers. I push plants into soil, then when I pull out the tweezers the plant floats away.
With this, I push the spade into the soil then push plant in with tweezers. Then rotate the spade left and right a bit, whilst removing the tweezers. Soil then goes over the roots and plant stays (most of the time. Or use spade end to push the plant in and then rotate to pack soil round the roots.

I love DIY solutions, enhancements etc... I own a Juwel 240liter tank with the internal "Bioflow" filter. I found the filter out-pipe to cause useless, even annoying waves on the surface whilst the total circulation was quite poor. So i took standard electricity-pipe, drilled some holes into it, and connected it with aquarium hose. Now i have a really good circulation from left to right, and from top to bottom.🙂
20220104_114616.jpg

Snap! I had the same problem with Juwels Bioflow filter so bought a Fluval spraybar and increased holes to suit, however my real triumph is the toothbrush on a bamboo pole 😂

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 139
I made up my scraper uding electrical conduit, the grey stuff. Cut the slot at the end to 45 degrees with a hacksaw blade the englarge the slot a tad. On the underside cut away the excess conduit so the blade when fitted get a clear go at the glass. Then slide the Stanley blade from the side and centre the blade. Make the conduit handles vatious lengths to suit tank depths.

I fitted an old electric toothbrush head to a length of carbon fibre arrow tube. It’s great for getting into awkward to clean areas.

Attachments

• 13C67281-931F-4983-A3E6-2A16156177A6.jpeg
    13C67281-931F-4983-A3E6-2A16156177A6.jpeg
    414.4 KB · Views: 126
Back