• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sharing cycled bio media between tanks

Aquarium hope

Seedling
I'm looking to set up a new tank in the next couple months and wanted to mature some bio media first whilst I set up the cabinet and scape the new tank. I have a large goldfish tank which wouldn't mind an extra external filter running in it but the tank has some green algae and BBA inside it which I haven't bothered to clean out since it isn't really affecting the look of the tank. If I mature the media using this tank could this algae travel into the new tank I am setting up?

I'm looking to set up a new tank in the next couple months and wanted to mature some bio media first whilst I set up the cabinet and scape the new tank. I have a large goldfish tank which wouldn't mind an extra external filter running in it but the tank has some green algae and BBA inside it which I haven't bothered to clean out since it isn't really affecting the look of the tank. If I mature the media using this tank could this algae travel into the new tank I am setting up?
Any material that you transfer between tanks might (will?) have algea spores and therefore is a risk. But even without transfer you'll get algea anyway. So I would say the benefits of getting the bacteria in there outweigh the algea risk.

Jurijs latest video covers running a tank dark for a few weeks to get it pre-cycled. No light limits the ability for algea to grow where you filter bacteria don't need light to begin with. I can give you my experience in a couple of weeks. I've setup a new tank today, got it running dark and I transferred media + water from a tank which has (managed) algea issues. Will be planting in a month probably.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Just an idea but how about running the filter then before you're reading to switch the media to the new tank move the filter and connect to a bucket or other container and once running on there dose that water with a high level of algaecide in the hope of nucking any spores. Maybe run it on that container for a couple of days before adding to the new tank

Just an idea but how about running the filter then before you're reading to switch the media to the new tank move the filter and connect to a bucket or other container and once running on there dose that water with a high level of algaecide in the hope of nucking any spores. Maybe run it on that container for a couple of days before adding to the new tank
Would the algaecide affect the bacteria in the bio media if dosed at high concentrations?

Would the algaecide affect the bacteria in the bio media if dosed at high concentrations?

I'm no expert so can't answer for sure. I know the Easycarbo bottle states you can double dose anyway so worst case you could do that. Maybe someone more experienced will be able to answer for sure

Why the algaecide in the first place? It shouldn't really be necessary...
Algal spores will always be present; concentrate on growing healthy plants instead, rather than battling algae. It's the best defence we have.

I've sometimes placed algae infested plants in well balanced scapes out of curiosity and rather than the algae spreading it's disappeared; that is with the help of a little prudent trimming...
So no question, just transfer the media. If your new tank is set up properly it shouldn't be a problem. And if algae makes an unwelcome return, use it to diagnose what's wrong.

Back