Shelving Unit Help

Discussion in 'Hardware & DIY' started by LondonDragon, 8 Feb 2009.

1. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

2. Garuf

Garuf Member

No link :(
    I'm up for that, I need a rack to stick my 3 tanks on.

3. LondonDragon

Forgot the most important thing haha link added!! thanks

4. samc

samc Member

im not sure it says 150kg each tier so id say it would be ok :D

5. Superman

Superman Member

Reading the link, it suggests it can hold the weight. 150kg on each shelf.

6. Garuf

Garuf Member

7. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

According to Wiki answers 1l of water weighs 1kg.
    So your tanks equal 180kg.
    Each shelf can hold 150kg.
    I wouldn't put all 3 on one shelf!

8. LondonDragon

It would be one tank per shelve, there wouldn't be space for 3 tanks in 80cm ;)
    Looks like it would be ok, I just wanted to check if someone has done something similar.

thanks guys

9. Garuf

Garuf Member

Let me know how you get on Paulo, Ill be right behind you if it works well.

10. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

I've got a small tank on an IKEA shelving unit and that's fine. I'm hoping to add an 80cm long tank split into 4 smaller units on it too and I'm sure it will be fine with some extra shelf brackets to support the shelf.

11. LondonDragon

Thanks Ed, I might reinforce the sides too, where the metal sides are add some wood on the inside to strengthen the whole unit. I am sure the shelves can take the weight :) Google SketchUp time! lol

12. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

i think you should have a fish house :D

Adding the wood will definatley hold the weight, i have seen others do DIY stands out of 4 x 2

13. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

14. Fred Dulley

Fred Dulley Member

Do the sections have enough height in order for maintenance to be carried when the tank is there? I'm just imaging it too be a bit squished. Putting bits of wood in there too might be awkward. Just my thoughts...

15. LondonDragon

I worked it out, for tanks 60x30x30cm which leaves around 43cm per shelve, the idea is to build the light unit into the shelve above using T5 ballasts DIY style. I am planning of placing 2x24w per tank in case I want to do something else with the tanks in future like 3 planted tanks. I plan in keeping plants with the shrimp too, so might get a CO2 unit for this 3 tanks too, feeding them of a single CO2 bottle, maybe a 5kg bottle. Just to leave my options open.

I am getting 3 external filters for each tank, they will sit next to the tank, I am thinking an Eden-501 or something of the sort, with a minimum 400lph, I have seen some in the US called the TOM Rapids Mini Canister Filter C-80 which is something I like for this setup. Can get 3 at a decent price too.

The tanks I am just buying the glass tanks with nothing in it, clearseal tanks sell for around £25 each. 3x50w mini heaters for about a tenner each and that should be the lot.

Each tank will be different in terms of scape, Sulawesi shrimp tank will have borneo wood and rocks, in-between the rocks and wood some ADA aquasoil and all around the front and sides white sand, plants to be defined, together with some Sulawesi snails.

The second scape will be one for cherry shrimp, maybe ADA aquasoil in it, ferns, crypts and mosses.

The other tank not sure what species will keep in it.

Will still keep the Juwel Rekord 60, the tank that will be for breeding the Crystal Red and Black grade S+ that I will getting next week. That has at present ADA Aquasoil and some crytps, ferns, and mosses. The lower grade CRS will have to be moved to another tank or rehomed.

Thats all for now :)

16. LondonDragon

After doing some SketchUp with the right measures, here is how it would look, rack and tanks only:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next will have to find the size of the filters and add those to the model.

Could always add a 4th tank to the top of the rack too if needed! or two nanos!!
    :)

17. Joecoral

Joecoral Member

Looks like a great idea LD, I've been considering doing a similar setup to this for breeding SA dwarf cichlids for a while now, but havent had the cash to actually get on with it.
    Let us know how you get on, make sure you take plenty of pictures of the entire process
    Joe

18. JamesM

JamesM Member

Looking good Paulo :)

19. Egmel

Egmel Member

hmmm, I really think that's going to make serious maintenance more tricky, there really isn't a lot of room.

Maybe I'm just panicking because I've never had a tank with restricted access, I would try a practice run by suspending a shelf above a tank at the correct height and trying to prune everything/catch some shrimp/fish.

20. LondonDragon

Yeah I have thought about it too, but I have seen a lot of setups similar to this, I can always play around with the layout of the shelves and place a tank on the top shelve and divide the bottom part into two rather than 3 tanks.