• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shoalling non jumpers

Jaap

Hi

Any suggestions for shoalling fish that are non jumpers for an 80L open top tank? They should not eat shrimp either.

Thanks

Ember Tetras
Neon Tetra
Mosquito Rasboras

Pygmy Corys are good and tiny shoaling fish that tend to stay at the bottom of the tank.

Never had a problem. They spend 90% of their time in the middle & bottom of the tank. They occasionally frolic in the flow around the top of the tank.

My filter is quite strong since its a high tech tank. 1000 l/h in a 90L tank. Will they have a problem?

My filter is quite strong since its a high tech tank. 1000 l/h in a 90L tank. Will they have a problem?

High flow is exactly what boraras don't like.

They live in tea stained puddles
With no flow , very dim light and zero nutrients .
I can't really imagine a worse environment for any boraras.

So its a no go :(

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Its your tank

But there's got to be a more suited fish.

I used to have 30 brigittae in my high tech, but they hated it.

Microdevario would be better.
They really don't care about anything and are much better swimmers, much stronger.
But will jump when spooked.

I wouldn't want to house fish that would be unhappy so Brigittae would not be my choice. Microdevario are also nice but if they jump when spooked then I wouldn't want that either :(

I am not picky when it comes to looks but I would like not to kill or stress my fish for sure :)

So maybe something different?

Hi Jaap,

I would go with embers. They don't look great in the shops but once they are happy they have a beautiful color that works great in a planted tank. They don't mind the flow, they actually seem to love it. If I change the angle of the spray bar, they come and check the new flow, and when filling up the tank with a watering can they go right underneath the rose :) They are very curious fish and although smaller than the cardinals they are not so shy.
As you can, I really recommend those!

Cheers,
Manu

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I agree with manu

embers must weigh about 5 x more than a boraras and look to be a stronger, tougher fish.
Plus, they are gems in their own right.
I've never had them though

Do they jump?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I never had one jumping out of the tank and I have the water just one centimetre below the top of the glass. Just given them plenty of plants, and if possible keep an area with dimed light using floating plants or Valisneria/Aponogeton.

Cheers,
Manu

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I had lamb chop harlequins as mentioned above and on the first night when the light went out, they got spooked and jumped. The room was still pretty light so shouldn't have shocked them too much. However the problem is the tank was above my reef tank and the five that jumped went straight into it. I managed to catch them all before my marine beta got any and I have have them today, several years later. They no longer jump so I guess I'm saying that even fish you don't expect to jump can, at least until they are settle, so it's sometimes worth covering the tank for a few days until they settle down.

On the jumping theme would sunrise/sunset lightings and maybe moonlights help?

If you google for any schooling fish sp. which dwels mid and top range of the tank. you'll read nothing but how well they can jump. ;) Lots of poeple had this experience, i guess in majority the fish are not to blame..

Of course all fish can jump and some times the risk of any sp. eventualy will one time.. i've had an Ember jump, a Black Tetra jump and even an Oto jump. The black tetra was the only lucky one jumping in my lap.. An educated guess, fish that by nature stay at the surface region of the tank are most likely to do so, after all the are closed to the surface (Like danio's). Others, mid and bottom region only when triggered by external factors. One is already given and that is bang lights on full power from total darknes.. :) Other factors could be other agressive fish chasing each other and scaring the others.

Take a look at Amono's galery, nothing but open top tanks and loads of so called notorious jumpers.. ;)

My best guess is, do research about fish and their behaivor.. Or, (even better, but that's how i do it if i don't know already) buy not everything at the same time.. Start with one sp. see their behaivor for a while and decide from there which other sp. could be added. :thumbup:

I might add, lay out of hardware and plants also play a role, obviously..

Last edited:
Back