Shooting tanks with off camera flash?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Tom, 7 Jun 2009.

1. Does anyone here do it?

I've been trying recently, just with a bare 430ex, but can never balance everything properly

Tom

2. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

I use my external just for macros of shrimp and plants and some fish, I always position it above the tank on wireless and also have the built in flash on to eliminate any shadows.

What you have to watch out for is the white balance, it can cause havoc to the colours!!

3. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

I tried off-camera with my 430 too but get better results using tank lighting, personally.

There's Aquasaur about on several forums that uses 430 and built-in flash to great effect. His macros are awesome.

Studio lighting is the future, but at a price, of course. Some entry level kits cost around £200 which ironically isn't much more than the 430 these days.

4. I am looking to get some studio lighting. There are a couple of cheap kits with 3 or so heads around I've noticed. I think that would definitely be the way forward. I've come to the conclusion tanks are near impossible with just one flash!

5. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Member

Lencarta studio lighting used to be really cheap on eBay, but since they got some really good reviews they have bumped up the prices. Their gear is wireless though.

Dave.

6. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

i've got my bowens lights now, i bought the gemini kit, so it's time for me to learn a few skills, these things are AWESOME

_MG_2002-01.jpg

_MG_2000-01.jpg

7. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

Bowens eh? Very nice.

8. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

it is that George. pricey for entry level @ £500, but i can add anything from the bowens range with this kit (batteries for out door shoots etc etc) i also bought a soft box, damn those things are pricey.

you get the 2 lights,stands, umbrellas, leads, and a lovetchly bag to carry it all in..... you'll have to borrow it one day.

9. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

10. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

me too.

375w should be enough i'd say, but i'm not 100%sure. sworral is in more of a position to comment. lighting is still new to me, so I'm in the dark (excuse the pun)

this image is just to show the light with softbox, of course thats NOT where I'll put to shoot images. theres a ton of experimentation to be had.

_MG_2081-01.jpg

11. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

Thanks, Mark.
    Hopefully Stu will see this post ;) if not i'll PM him. Might just get a couple of 200w standard bulbs.

thanks.

12. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

mate, if you can remember as far back as this time last year...these images were with cheap tunsten bulbs. 500w babies. there interfit lights if you want to google them

you really need to watch the WB as there warm in tone.

_MG_0220-01.jpg

they still gave a good effect though.

_MG_0172-01.jpg

really really sorry to hijak this thread :oops:

13. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

Thanks, Mark

14. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

Those Interfit lights are more in my price range, however, for now i have just bought 3 x 100w bulbs to hang above the tank which will hopefully help.
    If not, it isnt much of a loss at £4.50 for everything :lol: I can use it in other photography anyway.