• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Short plant in tough conditions.

idris

My tank is very deep, with low light, no CO2 and I struggle to get good flow round the tank. I have a shallow area of adakama (no more than an inch deep) that needs some cover, preferably with something short.

I've tried dwarf hair grass and dwarf swords, and wisteria, but none have done well. Any suggestions what might so well?

If Crypt.s can't make it........nothing will grow there !! Crypt.s tolerate a lot of different environments, incl. no added CO2 "bad flow" and very low light.
I'd try one of the smaller Wendtii-types - like Crypt. Wendtii green. Not c. parva or C. willisii, though.
The crypt. Wendti-types aren't really short - but not THAT tall either.
Maybe this is a case of "learning to love the one you can get" ???
Mick.

Anubias
Java Fern
Dwarf Sag
Mosses will do well providing you spend some time cleaning them
Crypts
Brazilian Microsword<- this has surprised me when I first kept it many years ago, still have some from the original
Bucephlandra <- mine was battered from delivery but after a few weeks I started have some new growth 2 new leaves this week, treat the plant as you would with Anubias

This is just a really short list that has worked for me without fail. I have other plants growing in my low tech tanks that I have tried multiple times and are now working due to decreased photoperiod. My betta tank's flow is point at the glass it is next to yet I can grow S. Repens, R. Rotundifolia and L. Repens which I have failed in the past. The growth is slow but its stable.

I am sorry just realised you said short plants. I still recommend S. Repens and Brazilian Microswords, I'm really pleased with how it is going.

Mick - I have some Wendtii already, which does well, but I'd like something different. Are there any crypts smaller that Wendtii?

Alastair - Hi there. My absence round here has has been mirrored by the lack of attention my tank has suffered. Don't ask me about algae!!! I've been planning a Grundfos pump when I can spare a few quid and make some pipes for it.

Michael - I like the look of the Microswords. More reading to do.

Several Crypt.s are small. I suggested Wendtii-types only because they're usually extreemely tolerant and adaptable ( = success ).
C. parva is (to my knowledge) the smallest - but defenitely not the easiest ( not impossible either!!). PITA slowgrowing, and need "attention".
Mick.

Back