• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

should i be adding magnesium?

hi,
i'm quite new to this planted tank lark, i have a fairly new set up (4th wk) things seem to be going ok.
using IE, NPK and dry micro from AE.

i believe my co2 is now at a decent level from lights on, lime green/yellow with a tank ph drop of 1.
i have decent enough flow with a 800l/h filter with 2 koralia 2 powerheads in 240l tank.

tank is mostly grass and stems at the mo but things dont really seem to be growing as i would expect.

so should i be adding magnesium with my dosing?
gh if means anything is 11 in tap water

altho as i type this i realized my lights are still only on for 6 hours per day (2x54w T5) so that probably explains the slower growth. :lol: :rolleyes:
but question still stands, should i add magnesium?

I would say yes, add some magnesium. That way you know you are definitely not missing out on magnesium. And as you are doing EI methods (50% WC weekly) it will never reach a dangerously high level.

I'd say 1teaspooon once a week after the water change will probably be a good starting point. Someone else may give more specific advice on dosing levels.

With any fert changes always wait 3 weeks to see any effects, then you can readjust if necessary.

You can buy 'Epsom salts' for the source of Magnesium. May be cheaper this way.

a1Matt said:
I'd say 1teaspooon once a week after the water change will probably be a good starting point. Someone else may give more specific advice on dosing levels.
How much is too much Msg04?? I am adding as per the NutriCalc calculations, just wondering too.

I have heard Tom Barr say (and I hope I do not misquote him here) that Magnesium is quite safe at high levels. I do not know the exact levels though.

I can say that I used to add 2 teaspoons a week to my 160litre (EI, 1.2wpg, 50%WC weekly). So I feel confident that 1 teaspoon a week in a 240l with EI is not nearing max levels.

(As you already know Paulo, but for the benefit of other members...) not knowing exact measurements is the joy of EI. As long as you have enough so that the nutrient does not run out a little extra does no harm. You can always tweak levels down over 3 week periods at a later date once you have got your tank settled in and everything growing well.

a1Matt said:
(As you already know Paulo, but for the benefit of other members...) not knowing exact measurements is the joy of EI. As long as you have enough so that the nutrient does not run out a little extra does no harm.

ok, thanks, pretty much what i thought, just wanting conformation! 8)

Back