• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Should i be dosing anything else?

Murphy-18

I bought a small plant collection off plantsalive about a month ago, and some of the plant species arent making any progress. There is Rotalla Indica which is growing slightly but only vertically and isnt growing any leaves, there is only leaves at the top of each plant which are bright green, but the stems are red. I also have some dwarf hairgrass which isn't really doing well and neither is the tall vivipara i have, both have stayed the same since i got it, they havent died but hasnt grown any or shown any sign of. Another plant which is struggling to grow is the dwarf sag i have. Aswell as elodea densa, that has stayed the same also. I bought all these plants as single young plants, they had no roots, so they must ave just been cut offs or whatever. I am certainly no plant expert, but i dose the tank with the recommended amount of florish excel. As it says on the bottle. Also i have no c02 on the tank and 1.3 wpg.

All the other plants i have are doing well. They are as follows: Moneywort, twisted vals, 2 E.Bleheri, and sagittaria natans.

Should i be dosing or adding anything alse to the tank to make the plants grow. Oh and i also have the tablet things scattered around under the sand, because there wasn;t enough that come with the plants and i havent got round to getting any more yet. :)

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks :D

Murphy-18 said:
... i dose the tank with the recommended amount of florish excel. As it says on the bottle. Also i have no c02 on the tank and 1.3 wpg.
OK, time out for a minor Reality Check. If you are dosing Excel it's the same as adding CO2 - except less. Loss of leaves and poor growth are classic symptoms of poor CO2. Not all plants are created equally so some do well under the same conditions in which others do poorly.

Murphy-18 said:
Should i be dosing or adding anything alse to the tank to make the plants grow. Oh and i also have the tablet things scattered around under the sand, because there wasn;t enough that come with the plants and i havent got round to getting any more yet. :)
Well, your plants would do about as well if you scattered your money around the street corner because you need to be more committed in your dosing. I mean, have you gotten around to feeding your cat? Wouldn't he complain if you fed him with that level of nonchalance? Well the cat has vocal cords and meows from hunger all night but all the poor plant can do is wither away.

I'd suggest you lose the tablets and dose the water column with either something like TPN+ or the dry powders (which are much cheaper) - and add more Excel... :?

Cheers,

Your plants are telling you things aren't right.
Dosing what it says on the bottle might not be enough and you're only adding co2 with Excel.
It sounds like your not dosing ferts, the root tabs only really help root feeders and won't really do anything for hairgrass.
Get some ferts in there either from TPN+ or dry powders.

I'm sorry, im not familiar with the TPN+ and dry ferts you guys are talking about. Where can i find these? What are they?

Im completely new to plants, i just thought id buy some, ive heard about flourish excel so i got that aswell.

Heres me: Buy plants, add excel as listed on instuctions, have lights on timer, See if plants grow :lol: . I wasn't aware that you have to add anything else. like i said im a complete novice :)

It would be appreciated if someone could fill me in on how to dose and what to dose. ;)

Murphy,
Check the articles in the Tutorials section of the forum. Start with this article=> EI DOSING USING DRY SALTS You may elect to go with commercial products but study this to get an idea of what plants need. Then read the CO2 articles there as well.

Cheers,

Back