• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

should i mix my own ferts?

Hi pest control.

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought your tank was hi tech.
If you are not using CO2, you can certainly cut down on the amount of ferts that have been recommended.
Bear in mind that EI was originally used for max growth rates, but to achieve that you need hi light and CO2 addition.
If the light is low, this will determine the uptake rate of your plants so you will be able to use less ferts.
Some people still use CO2 on low light set ups and this will assist with the plant growth but it will still be slower than a hi light tank, therefore less ferts are needed. If you are not using any CO2, you can reduce the ferts even further.
The key with any dosing regime, be it hi tech or low tech, is not to have any deficiencies of anything.
So you can start high and reduce the strength of your 'mix' each time you mix up a batch. Just give the plants time to adapt to the changes, usually 2-3 weeks, before making any other changes.

As for your question, if your tank is non CO2 then the other Trace will be fine (slower uptake rates, so less is needed :D )

thanks, i'll use the normal trace then. do you think i should buy the biggest quantities that are on aqua essentials, or should i buy 500g of each chemical?

cheers :D

pest control said:
thanks, i'll use the normal trace then. do you think i should buy the biggest quantities that are on aqua essentials, or should i buy 500g of each chemical?

If I were mixing up the quantities below
KNo3 - = 6tps
KH2Po4 - = 3 tps
MgSo4 - = 18 tps
CSM-B - = 1 tps

I would buy this amount - the shelf life is longer due to it being a powder rather than a liquid - but if it become damp etc - its buy some more
KNo3 = 500g bag
KH2po4 = 250g bag
CSM-B = 250g bags
MgSo4 = 1kg bag (soley because of the quantity your are mixing - 18 tps).

Regards
paul.

thanks, i think that's everything, i just need to buy it all now. is aqua essentials a good place to buy, and do i need to buy some containers to store the powders in?

pest control said:
thanks, i think that's everything, i just need to buy it all now. is aqua essentials a good place to buy, and do i need to buy some containers to store the powders in?

I bought mine for AE and had no problems what so ever, as for containers - you know the plastic tubs your Chinese take meal come in - perfect or tubaware containers.

Regards
paul.

Hi pest control
Paul just beat me to it, but I'll post what I was going to say anyway :D
pest control said:
is aqua essentials a good place to buy,
Certainly is. I use AE and so do a few others round here, quick delivery too :D .
pest control said:
and do i need to buy some containers to store the powders in?
They come delivered in a plastic bag with a sealing strip at the top, but I would advise buying some airtight containers, as Paul says, you must keep them dry.
No point in spending a fortune on containers, a £1 shop is a good place to start :lol:
Get your powders delivered first, to give you an idea of the size of containers you need. They won't have to be very big for 250g, but the 1kg of MgSO4 will need a slightly bigger container.
Just for your info, 250g of Trace will last you a long, long time using 1 tsp a month :D and it is the most expensive of all of the powders :( .
I use 1.25 tsp of Trace per month in my 180l hi tech, and I bought 100g last May (2009), and I've just measured it, and I've got 9 teaspoons of the stuff left. At my current dosing rate that will last me another 7 months :wideyed:.
All I'm saying is, if the pennies are tight, buy 100g of the Trace, as that will last you well over a year ;) .
You appear to have done your homework, which is a good thing, so now it's time to take the plunge.
Any more queries, just holler, as we're here to help :thumbup:

hi, so i'll buy from aqua essentials. and i'll get
KNo3 = 500g bag
KH2po4 = 250g bag
CSM-B = 100g bag
MgSo4 = 1kg bag

i think that it's a good idea to get less of the trace incase i get it wet. :D do you think that i'll save any money from the TPN+?

cheers for all the help. :thumbup:

pest control said:
hi, he says that he won't be stocking it again, so should i use the same amount of the trace mix plus, or less?

Well if you do the analysis you will see the difference between AE - Trace mix verus FluidsensorOnline

AE v Fluidsensoronline v Difference
Boron 1.06% v Boron 1.05% = 0.01%
Copper 0.23% v Copper 0.23% = 0
Iron 8.2% v Iron 8.4% = 0.4%
Manganese 1.82% v Manganese 1.82% = 0
Molybdenum 0.15% v Molybdenum 0.15% = 0
Zinc 1.16% v Zinc 1.16% = 0

In other word for the percentage difference - "Not worth bothering with" - buy AE Trace mix and keep the mix the same.
No deviation for orginal mixture 1 tsp to 200mls of water dose twice a week on alternate days.

Regards
paul.

hi, i've worked out the prices etc. and i'm going to buy soon, but about how long will the ferts last? i think the trace will last a few years, as i'll be buying 250g and dosing 1tsp per month, but about how long will the others last?

EDIT: i've just thought. could my brother use the same dosage as me? his tank is 120l (juwel lido 120) with 1.5 wpg of t5, and no co2. he is dosing the same TPN+ as me ATM, so could he dose the same EI?

Back