• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

should i use an algaecide?

aaronnorth

i posted a few week back, about a BGA problem, i put it down to it being a fairly new (so fairly unstable) environment, i did a 3 day blackout after taking it out, and doing a 50% w/c. it worked (for about a week :rolleyes: ) untill it has just started to creep back in again :twisted:

there is a an algaecide in the shop, i think this one: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/wate ... 43378#more

although after reading it, i dont think it will work?

anyway would it be a waste of money?

the tank:

4 months
180./ 40g
Malawi cichlid tank (no plants)
fluval 205 & eheim 2215 classic - sponges & biomax in both
25C

any ideas? thanks guys.

BGA won't likey respond to algaecide, as it's not an algae.

Consider more circulation, especially at the infected areas.

Blacking out the substrate line with black tape works well IME. This is where BGA starts so by blocking light to the substrate, BGA cannot spread.

Manually remove as much BGA as possible.

50% water change.

Clean filter.

50% water change.

Good luck.

didnt think so, i have about 8x turnover, i have the 205 creating surface ag, then the spray bar from the eheim pointing down towards the front glass, i rarely see any waste on the substrate & i make sure that i dont overfeed. It isnt the substrate ine, it is on top of the substrate, he is the last thread i did with pics,

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2947

i might resort to another blackout, but for 5 days this time :rolleyes:

Thanks George

Back