• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Show your dwarf cichlid!

Luciën

Did not found a similar thread so here is one.
Post pictures, all dwarf cichlids are welcome!

To kick off, here is my Apisto baenschi inca:
apistomale_s.jpg

Great photo :)
I'm into dwarfs too... here are some of mine!

I'd like to try Bolivian Rams next but would need a new tank if that was going to happen anytime soon... to be honest I can barely keep up the the water changes and maintenance on the 4 I've got!...
f880dc968d43a085c6312d37e25899ff.jpg
f21d657575603c196e7a1c22434a512d.jpg
558227a4f1f76e8eb8b04a9ab5f546e0.jpg
52ac9d577e2a267da995f55efeb3cc5a.jpg
e9aa750b9c5ae7466778241d78d56f70.jpg
380fe7152419cc058f1ed612797d998c.jpg

Hi all,
I haven't got any at the moment, when I see some suitable fish I like I will get some more, probably Apistogramma panduro or A. baenschi.

These are the ones I have photographs of.

Dicrossus maculatus, <"these were gorgeous"> and this the male of the pair I kept. I failed to feed them carefully enough (too many Black and Grindal worms) and they both eventually bloated

dicrossus_male_daphnia-jpg.jpg

This is Apistogramma cacatuoides, I had them for ~10 years, this is <"my original male">.
composite-jpg.jpg

The last fish I had were these Apistogramma agassizii, they were just a Czech bred fish, but they were a bit different. Apologies for the quality of the video.

This male was an offspring of my original male, but they had similar markings (all the males did) so I assume they had been line-bred.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
here's a video of them hounding a poor shrimp
They really like cherry shrimps once they get a taste for them. Have a look at <"Are there any Dwarf Cichlids.....">.

In either "South American Dwarf Cichlids" Author: Hans J. Mayland & Dieter Bork or "American Cichlids I - Dwarf Cichlids" Author: Horst Linke & Dr. Wolfgang Staeck it talks about Apistogramma eating "crayfish" in black-waters where there were no mosquitoes. I was intrigued by this, and eventually found that it is slightly inaccurate English translation, and that the "crayfish" were actually Macrobrachium spp. shrimps.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Is it realy true that these fish can't be kept at pH around 8+? That's what i read all over the place and the reason i never tried.. Since it would be to much hassle for me to mainain a constant low pH parameter..

Is it realy true that these fish can't be kept at pH around 8+? That's what i read all over the place and the reason i never tried.. Since it would be to much hassle for me to mainain a constant low pH parameter..
Mine are kept at 7.5 ph no problem here

I've kept several species in my tap water, pH7.8, DH around 16.
Some would regularly breed in it too, including Apistogramma cacatuoides and Nannacara anomala.
I've also had A. trifasciata, A. kleei, A. nijseni, A. agassizi, A borelli, A. steindachneri ( I think that's called something else now) Dicrossus filamentosus, Rams and Bolivian Rams. I'm sure there were more too, can't remember. :)
hth

Are there any species that can be kept with cherry shrimp? Any of the dicrossus small enough? I'm guessing the answer would be no.

Would love to keep dwarfs again for the interesting breeding behaviour but unfortunately have about 300 orange Sakura shrimp.

Cheers

Conor

I'm guessing the answer would be no.

Depends a bit in your setup.. I kept hunting barbs with the cherries and they got regularly hunted and eaten.. Just make sure you first start out with enough shrimps.. Give them cover and dense patches of moss to breed. This is where the fry will hide out and survive. Once you have enough Cherries than 1 couple (As i understand that is usual Ram setup 1 couple) of occasional shrimp hunter are not up to the task to eraticate them all.. :)

I kept a school of 10 Oreichtys cosuatis and also they weren't up to this task. The barbs are long gone died of old age and the shrimps are still around.

Back