• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Show your orchids!

Really good thread, anecdotally my wife had a few orchids given to her as gifts which never produced new flower spikes untill I've taken to dipping the pots weekly or fortnightly in tank water after water change, since this at least 5 have produced new spikes, this could also be due to moving home recently and they are happier in their new environment, I'll grab some pics tomorrow.

This could be a combination of the watering and maybe a chqange in temperature that triggered the new growth. Interestingly enough when I used to dip the whole pot in water my orchids would loose a flowjer or two in the following days to come. Now I just pour a little water when I think it needs it and its doing better than ever. Someone else encountered this?

Reactions: tim
I've never experienced the loss of flower like that. The way I water my orchids is to place its pot into their decorative pot then pour water into the into it, leaving the plant to soak for around 5-10 minutes before taking it out to drain. I've never experienced any flower dropping from this.

Reactions: tim
Alright thanks Darrel. Ill see if my mom takes some photos now thta she is going over there for a few days.

29926205.QQC49zrX.jpg
29926215.KCosDKtA.jpg

29926218.ncPSkTbM.jpg
30183132.EEATcPKq.jpg

31700877.AN2hXyds.jpg
31700923.jJa42nTZ.jpg

32955989.BEFLvWmW.jpg

I had a small greenhouse with almost all the cattleya spp. It was heated with an electric heater, sadly one frosty night it broke and all where frozen.
I still want to build a larger one (when i am pensioned) with a large aqiarium incorporated.

I had a small greenhouse with almost all the cattleya spp. It was heated with an electric heater, sadly one frosty night it broke and all where frozen.
I still want to build a larger one (when i am pensioned) with a large aqiarium incorporated.
Yea h very nice edvet. You are the king of orchids of the forum;).
Electric heating must have been expensive right? I would maybe do it with vapour from gas or solar panels. What do you think?

AAhaa I just realized your last image is exactly the orchids I had in my backyard as a child. Soooo cool!

Sweet looking flowers tim! As long as the plant is still alive there will always be flowers somewhere along the line. :)

I recently rescued a Cattleya orchid, I have no idea what kind of flowers they have, only that it is a unifoliate Cattleya so I can't wait to see it bloom. Unfortunately, as I was repotting it, I noticed it had no roots which is likely going to set it back for some time, perhaps no blooms this coming year. However, I've noticed two new 'eyes' and they are growing next years pseudobulbs. Also, there are some nubs on the rhizome which are signs of the new roots, so hopefully the Cattleya will recover and I will get a nice surprise from what ever flower this one may have.

Keeping Orchids is a bit like a Planted Tank - all about correct light, ferts and loving the end result .

A good guy for unusual stuff ( espec. Rooted clones ) at fantastic prices is Ray Creek - his mailing list is more up to date than website . He's quite happy for you to phone up and ask what's in spike ( ie ready to flower ) and build you an order to suit you .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very Nice Darrel! Although Im not a fan of the girly colours:p. Where do you keep this one? On a table? Caus if so then they sure dont need much light.

Also I noticed that my orchids have quite weak leaves. It doesnt stop growing and sending out flowers but Im uncertain about the leaves. Could it be iron defficiency? The leaves are clear and a bit soft but not too much. Roots look very healthy.

Back